Missing from Computer-Chess Wiki

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carey

Re: Missing from Computer-Chess Wiki

Post by Carey »

Sylwy wrote:
Carey wrote:
I don't know if you ever saw the original magazine article, but mine was an unclear photocopy of it, and it was oh so much fun to try and type in. There were times I was actually using a magnifying glass to try and decide on some characters. Thank goodness Pascal had such strong type checking that it found most of the programs.
Hello !

Thank you a lot for your explanations !

For everybody here being interested in Byte Magazine/November 1978 ( from pg.162) here's a relative :lol: good scanned copy:
Wow!

I think I may use up my bandwidth quota this month downloading all of them!

Thanks.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Carey wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Carey wrote:
I don't know if you ever saw the original magazine article, but mine was an unclear photocopy of it, and it was oh so much fun to try and type in. There were times I was actually using a magnifying glass to try and decide on some characters. Thank goodness Pascal had such strong type checking that it found most of the programs.
Hello !

For everybody here being interested in Byte Magazine/November 1978 ( from pg.162) here's a relative :lol: good scanned copy:
Wow!

Thanks.
See? :)
Carey

Post by Carey »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Carey wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Carey wrote:
Hello !

Wow!

Thanks.
There are the occasional things that come along that are interesting, but they never seem to last. That's the big problem.

I did used to like Byte Magazine. I used to live near a library that had all of those, and I guess I've read all of them through about 85 or so.

Of course, now days, it seems silly to read about 4k memories and comparisons of 8080 vs. z80, etc.
Christopher Conkie

Carey wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Carey wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Carey wrote:
Hello !

Wow!

Thanks.
There are the occasional things that come along that are interesting, but they never seem to last. That's the big problem.

I did used to like Byte Magazine. I used to live near a library that had all of those, and I guess I've read all of them through about 85 or so.

Of course, now days, it seems silly to read about 4k memories and comparisons of 8080 vs. z80, etc.
They last if you persist. Think about it this way......

Many wished to see how the older programs would translate to nowadays. A few did become available....for example Colossus, Microchess etc...

The point being that to program for such hardware (at that time) was a feat in itself. It did not involve just taking a compiler and doing whatever as seems to be the norm now.

You documented those days. All those old and wonderful things were on the site that you made. You cannot believe the things I potter about in, but know that your website was one.

I only want to say to that you should never give up. You are appreciated because you supplied the rarest form of content, namely content that was beyond reproach.

Thank you for doing that. I had a lot of fun (maybe there is more).

Chris
Don

Post by Don »

JuLieN wrote:
Steve B wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
mclane wrote:and here how larry's program came into a commercial dedicated chess computer:
steinitz

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... itz_Encore

see also:

http://www.great-game-machine.com/

i was doing a little tournament with all those fossil dedicated chess computers,

larry atkins and richard langs machines are doing quite well,
as you can see here:

http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php ... tart=10%22

hanimex is an 8 bit dedicated chess computer with richard langs cyrus software into it. on a z80A cpu.
Richard Lang produced remarkably strong programs, considering the hardware they were running on. For instance, I am impressed by the strength of my Saïtek Kasparov Turbo King (above 1800) despite it runs on a 8-bits 6502 CPU running at 5MHz! :)

If I could make my engine run on so little memory and frequency, I doubt it would be above... say... 1300...
Ed Schroeder was the master of the 8 bit 6502 processor
his Polgar 5 Mhz tipped the rating scales at 1963 with the Polgar 10 Mhz shattering the 2000 glass ceiling at 2036
i think only the Mephisto mm6 (Morsch) came close to these babies
Lang was chosen by Mephisto to work with the Motorola processor and so he had much more powerful hardware to work with while Ed was given the 8 bit 6502 by Mephisto
year after year Ed would produce the strongest 8 bit model you could buy..some years the strongest portable computer you could but(I.E.his Rebel 3.0 in the Mephisto Mobile hand held board)
Still both Lang and Schroeder were LEGENDS in their day

Those Were The Days Regards
Steve
I have a long time fantasy of programming a virtual chess computer with an emulated 6502 running at 5MHz and a total memory of 64Kb, split between the ROM's size and the RAM. It would be free and anyone could program his own rom in 6502 asm. This virtual chess computer would be like a chess interface, with special registers to access its virtual hardware (sensory board, LEDs, etc...). Why not adding a tourney manager to automatize the "engines" ranking, an asm editor with syntax highlighting, and an integrated assembler.

The "game" would be to push this crude architecture to its maximum and see who manage to get the most out of it. Everyone would have the exact same hardware, that way. :) What do you think?
It would work as long as a virtual clock kept the time based on the instruction counts of the processor. Such a virtual machine would still be far more powerful than the original 6502 if the emulator was running on a modern processor so even the wall time has to be simulated too.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

there are many programs running in emulations.
I would be more interested in seeing continuations of the old programs.
especially the B-strategy or forward pruning programs i am interested to see
beeing continued.

Why not continue Mephisto III Glasgow ?
reason it is not running on todays PCs is that the language it was written once
is difficult to translate into C or C++.
Its language was CDL2. i talked with thomas nitsche and he said it is difficult to translate this program into c.

i saw that Awit is running under Winboard console. of course an UCI version would be much nicer :-))

also i am interested to see Cyrus68K running either on a 68000 emulator
or on a PC.

the next thing is Mchess. It was said that Marty Hirsch would one day continue Mchess. but so far there is nothing. I would be pleased to have an UCI version of the latest mchess.

cause its not that nice to run it on win98.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Don wrote:It would work as long as a virtual clock kept the time based on the instruction counts of the processor. Such a virtual machine would still be far more powerful than the original 6502 if the emulator was running on a modern processor so even the wall time has to be simulated too.
Yes, I thought about that too. There would be a "legacy" mode, that would make sure the engine really runs at the simulated equivalent of a 5MHz 6502, and unlocked modes (10MHz, 20MHz... full speed) for non-competition games. There are many open-source/GPL emulators one could borrow the CPU emulation code (some achieved perfect emulation, that would take years to replicate in such a side-project).

And btw, the CPU emulation could be made as a plugin, allowing for other-CPUs plugins, like for instance a 68.000 one. UAE, the Amiga Emulator, also reached a perfect 68k emulation, and even implemented a just in time compiler that makes the emulated code run as fast as a native one (I remember that in 2002 my emulated amiga benchmarking programs yet reported an over 400 MHz fast 68040 CPU ;) Of course, UAE also has a "cycle exact" mode to reach the exact speed of the computer you want to emulate (Amiga 500, 1200, etc..).
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Christopher Conkie

JuLieN wrote:
Don wrote:It would work as long as a virtual clock kept the time based on the instruction counts of the processor. Such a virtual machine would still be far more powerful than the original 6502 if the emulator was running on a modern processor so even the wall time has to be simulated too.
Yes, I thought about that too. There would be a "legacy" mode, that would make sure the engine really runs at the simulated equivalent of a 5MHz 6502, and unlocked modes (10MHz, 20MHz... full speed) for non-competition games. There are many open-source/GPL emulators one could borrow the CPU emulation code (some achieved perfect emulation, that would take years to replicate in such a side-project).

And btw, the CPU emulation could be made as a plugin, allowing for other-CPUs plugins, like for instance a 68.000 one. UAE, the Amiga Emulator, also reached a perfect 68k emulation, and even implemented a just in time compiler that makes the emulated code run as fast as a native one (I remember that in 2002 my emulated amiga benchmarking programs yet reported an over 400 MHz fast 68040 CPU ;) Of course, UAE also has a "cycle exact" mode to reach the exact speed of the computer you want to emulate (Amiga 500, 1200, etc..).
Have you finally fallen out with twit? Maybe there is hope after all..... Why would you want to emulate anything that is past except to bring it into the present?
Christopher Conkie

I could always supply source code of course.... Think about it..... We could have Rybkarobbotal..... But who would you love?

:)
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

1) it's fun (most sports are totally useless too, you know? ;) ).
2) and yes, bringing back all those 8bits programs would be very interesting.
3) one could even make a uci-export wrapper that would automatically incapsulate the 8bit program, the emulator and a uci interface manager.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]