Rybka ban thoughts

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

Re: Rybka ban thoughts

Post by Uri Blass »

Hood wrote:Have you sent your opinion to ICGA ?
No and I do not think that my opinion could change something.
I do not say something that contradicts the claim that Vas is quilty but only that Rybka's eval and Fruit's eval are different and that I believe that Vas did not use copy and paste for the evaluation but simply translated part of the code of fruit to bitboards and modified the translated code.
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Don't be that way, Dann. A lot of people feel as you do. Those who look at things narrowly and legalistically have a strong case. Those who look at things broadly and humanely have a weaker one, though still valid. To us this seems like a miscarriage of justice: the public prosecution, humiliation and expulsion of a brilliant if flawed human being. To the others it is justice delayed but finally served. I think it ought to be a sad time for both sides; what hurts us the most are those who malevolently revel in Vas's martyrdom and kick a man when he is down.

I do hope Vas is undeterred by what has happened and continues his prodigious contribution to computer chess. If he does this episode will fade to history while his indelible achievements will be what is recognized for a very long time.
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

Can you not read the vindictiveness in your tone, Bob? The indefatigable self-righteousness? Never mind the merits of the case. Just read yourself, will you? What a fine prosecutor you would have been, except for your total inability to connect with the jury at a human level.
bob

Post by bob »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Can you not read the vindictiveness in your tone, Bob? The indefatigable self-righteousness? Never mind the merits of the case. Just read yourself, will you? What a fine prosecutor you would have been, except for your total inability to connect with the jury at a human level.
This was not a popularity contest. Nor a schmooze or grip and grin affair. It was about concrete facts. I don't get the "self-righteousness" comment, but that's neither here nor there anyway. This was _only_ about the merits of the case. To me, cheating is not something to be condoned, excused, or waved away.
geots

Post by geots »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:Can you not read the vindictiveness in your tone, Bob? The indefatigable self-righteousness? Never mind the merits of the case. Just read yourself, will you? What a fine prosecutor you would have been, except for your total inability to connect with the jury at a human level.
Amen to that!
Hood

Post by Hood »

The problem is other.
Has been a person guilty and responsible or not?
If someone was guilty there shall be a penalty. It does not matter if someone is prodigy or not.
It is other matter the financial benefits gotten due to using someones work and giving compensatory damages. It can be the matter too much more serious but it is not. So, the penalty is not so severe.

Rgds Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.