Arena tournanment file analyzer?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Arena tournanment file analyzer?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Is there a tool that will examine an Arena tournament between chess engines and discover sudden changes in eval? I know of a tool like this for Winboard, but I was wondering if an equivalent exists for Arena.
Aser Huerga

Re: Arena tournanment file analyzer?

Post by Aser Huerga »

Dann Corbit wrote:Is there a tool that will examine an Arena tournament between chess engines and discover sudden changes in eval? I know of a tool like this for Winboard, but I was wondering if an equivalent exists for Arena.
I think what you are looking for is in the Engine->Tournament->Blunder-Check Arena menu.

Cheers.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Or are you looking for a tool like Game Analyser ( http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/gameanalyser.html )?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Aser Huerga wrote:Or are you looking for a tool like Game Analyser ( http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/gameanalyser.html )?
That is actually what I was hoping for. Game analyzer works on Winboard files (if a log file for the games exists), but tragically, the pascal utility file it uses will not run under 64 bit windows so that tool also has become useless to me.

If I knew the exact format that GameAnalyzer wanted, I could create my own file muncher that eats and Arena PGN file and spits it out in a format that GameAnalyzer understands.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Aser Huerga wrote:Or are you looking for a tool like Game Analyser ( http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/gameanalyser.html )?
That is actually what I was hoping for. Game analyzer works on Winboard files (if a log file for the games exists), but tragically, the pascal utility file it uses will not run under 64 bit windows so that tool also has become useless to me.

If I knew the exact format that GameAnalyzer wanted, I could create my own file muncher that eats and Arena PGN file and spits it out in a format that GameAnalyzer understands.
Sorry If a missunderstood something, but I run my test in Arena, and simply opening the PGN file with Game Analiser it works ...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Aser Huerga wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

Sorry If a missunderstood something, but I run my test in Arena, and simply opening the PGN file with Game Analiser it works ...
Well, I'll be a flying pig.
I used to use it with Winboard and had to stop when my OS went to 64 bits. I had no idea that it worked with Arena "right out of the box"

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. It's a happy day.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Why would anyone do this on log files? It seems more logical to do it on the PGN. That is meant forsaving the game. I never save log files, they contain tons of redundant info.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

hgm wrote:Why would anyone do this on log files? It seems more logical to do it on the PGN. That is meant forsaving the game. I never save log files, they contain tons of redundant info.
In our experience everyone tries everything that they want to specific to their needs. That is what makes the experience for us and them so special. :) It is also how we learn about the things that they may want. Usability is what we aim for but we only get that knowledge through others experiences. We start with logic and once that is right, we deal with the specific requests, however illogical they may be.

Chris
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Is that a elaborate desription of the crap-in-crap-out principle, in such an obtuse way that you hope no one will recognize it? :lol:
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

hgm wrote:Why would anyone do this on log files? It seems more logical to do it on the PGN. That is meant forsaving the game. I never save log files, they contain tons of redundant info.
That's easy. At the time the tool was developed, WB wasn't able to write
any info into PGN files. Thus reading it from debug logs was the only
way... but of course this is redundant since at least 5 years and BTW it
always could read from PGN(including infos).

Guenther