iOS v. Android v. Windows - Tablet and Celly Marketshare??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Who Will Win the OS Market for Tablets and Cell Phones??

Android
69%
iOS
25%
Windows
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 32

Sean Evans

iOS v. Android v. Windows - Tablet and Celly Marketshare??

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, as you are aware endusers mostly use Windows for their PC. We must presume that one of the OS will win the tablet and cell phone market, but which one?

Apple iOS is certainly winning right now. Android is getting stronger and can be used on a variety of companies hardware and the next version of Windows can be used on ARM cpus. So who is going to dominate the market share?

Cordially,

Sean
alpha123

Re: iOS v. Android v. Windows - Tablet and Celly Marketshare

Post by alpha123 »

Windows 8 looks like it could do a lot of damage to iOS's empire.

Peter
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

It all comes down to having a sane definition of 'winning'. By most every end user metric Android has been the leader in smartphones since the start of this year and still pulling ahead. The current Windows Mobile phones don't really have any traction and Windows 8 looks good but AFAIK it's not meant for smartphones.
Tablets OTOH are still iOS territory. Android is slowly climbing there and Windows 8 has garnered quite the buzz.

MvH Dan Andersson
tiger

Post by tiger »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi, as you are aware endusers mostly use Windows for their PC. We must presume that one of the OS will win the tablet and cell phone market, but which one?

Apple iOS is certainly winning right now. Android is getting stronger and can be used on a variety of companies hardware and the next version of Windows can be used on ARM cpus. So who is going to dominate the market share?

Cordially,

Sean

(Scene takes place in a mobile phone store)

- Customer: Hi. I need a phone. I've just broken my StarTAC and I need to call someone. I need to purchase a new StarTAC.
- Sales guy: we don't sell StarTACs anymore. We only sell smartphones.
- can I use them to make phone calls?
- Sure.
- OK I want one.
- No problem. It's a Robbo-OS phone with a 1GHz processor.
- What?
- Huh... I mean it's only $99
- Great I take it.

// Christophe