SSDF and Houdini?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Whether the SSDF should add Houdini to its rating list?!

No
34%
Yes
66%

Total votes: 73

Sean Evans

SSDF and Houdini?

Post by Sean Evans »

Should the SSDF start testing Houdini and add it to its rating list?
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: SSDF and Houdini?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Sean Evans wrote:Should the SSDF start testing Houdini and add it to its rating list?
It will not happen.

A more interesting poll might be what the SSDF should do if the ICGA find that Rybka breached their rules.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:Should the SSDF start testing Houdini and add it to its rating list?
It will not happen.

A more interesting poll might be what the SSDF should do if the ICGA find that Rybka breached their rules.
I was not aware the SSDF was subject to the ICGA.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Albert Silver wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
It will not happen.

I was not aware the SSDF was subject to the ICGA.
Of course they aren't, but if the ICGA decides it's illegal, SSDF would probably stop and think for a while about whether or not they want to keep testing this thing.

Peter
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
It will not happen.

I was not aware that Houdini breached the ICGA rules?!
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

with greatest respect does anyone take notice of SSDF nowadays.
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

NATIONAL12 wrote:with greatest respect does anyone take notice of SSDF nowadays.
Yes. Both for the ratings which have been very useful, and, I suspect, among the most accurate going due to the time controls used along with number of games in their matches, and for the quantity and quality of the games, especially if you have your own opening books for the engines. At least, that is for me; of course I cannot speak for anyone else.

With Respect,
David S.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

NATIONAL12 wrote:with greatest respect does anyone take notice of SSDF nowadays.
Yes. I always will unless they turn into lunatics which i cant see any time soon.

The SSDF is most probably the "daddy" of all lists. I say probably because of their testing procedures, however.....if you are so desperate to know what the Houdini elo is.....

That is the real point here.

Is it about wanting to know where it stands against others, or is it about recognition?

If you are looking for recognition I believe Harvey is right. You won't get it from people who deal with real people only like the SSDF.

If you want to know how many elo Robert....(we should call him the adder for now.....since he is the figurehead....(poor foolish man that he is)) then you can go to a list where it is tested..... There are plenty of lists made by no one from nowhere that test Houdini.

I like Harvey only see the point of what is already in there and how they might reconcile that with what is normal if and only if it is determined whether Rybka should be in it at all.

Houdini would really need a good magic trick to get in SSDF.

Chris
IanO

Post by IanO »

I am more embarrassed that their top open source program is Glaurung!

Personally, I would be happy if the SSDF went back to their roots, testing only dedicated computers and PDAs. Especially since their rating system is limited to 311 entities. Let the other rating lists deal with the continuous version churn and illegitimacy scandals.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dayffd wrote:Yes. Both for the ratings which have been very useful, and, I suspect, among the most accurate going due to the time controls used along with number of games in their matches, and for the quantity and quality of the games, especially if you have your own opening books for the engines. At least, that is for me; of course I cannot speak for anyone else.
Do you even understand what quality testing means???
List that only tests commercial (and some prehistoric non-commercial) engines, that uses non-truncated (to any reasonable number of moves) Fritz 12 opening book, and that has less then 300 played games for majority of engines is a quality one????
The list is absolutely useless for chess programmers (with exception of 4-5 commercial ones), for all ppl that would like to know realistic results with real engines and even to "basement testers".
It's only useful as a fake marketing for those commercials that otherwise could not even sell a copy of their pathetic programs...