Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mathmoi

Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine.

Post by mathmoi »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to use a native linux engine with Arana running under wine? At the moment I get an "Invalid command line..." error when I try to start the engine. That in fact did not surprised me since I simply entered the path to to linux executable in the engine management window.

So, is it possible? How?

Thanks,
CositasBuenas

Re: Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine

Post by CositasBuenas »

That's not possible! Use win executables instead. Or better use SCID and linux binaries.

Mick
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

CositasBuenas wrote:That's not possible! Use win executables instead. Or better use SCID and linux binaries.
Mick
Just right!
Kurt
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Or use Linux binaries and XBoard. :wink:

Onno Garms

Post by Onno Garms »

CositasBuenas wrote:That's not possible!
I haven't tried Arena, but I run native Linux engines in Shredder GUI under Wine. Works nicely. I think this should work with Arena too.

1. Install putty (Windows ssh client)
2. Have (Linux native) ssh demon running
3. Import your ssh key into putty, to allow putty to connect to localhost without password
4. Create a batch file with this something like

Code: Select all

plink.exe onno@localhost -i id_rsa.ppk /home/onno/Schach/engines/fruit_2.1/fruit
This batch file is your engine and can be added to the Shredder GUI like a Windows engine.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

just be patient... a bit...and will not have to use Wine anymore...
We are lloking for people who can test under Linux...but as I said it takes a little...

I wonder why this guy answers with Xboard a question about Arena, this reminds me of a joke...with a professor who had a favorite subject all students knew that and went to the exam and whatever the subject was they started: Arena is not like Xboard..... Xboard can.... You can imagine that all failed because it was off-topic...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
hgm

Post by hgm »

Can you explain the joke to us? (Using English rather than Gibberish would also help... :lol: ) I have the feeling that we can all have a big laugh then. :wink:

Btw, if you had payed closer attention, you would have:
1) seen that the discussion had already switched from Arena to SCID
2) answered the guy's question before others felt the need to tell him that Arena can't do it.

Or didn't you know how to do it either, and don't like to admit that there is something Arena can't do (now)?
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Wow sounds great. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I'd test ARENA for Linux for you. You may contact me here: michael AT hoeppenstein.net

Regards,
Mick
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

All relevant people understood it...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
hgm

Post by hgm »

I doubt it, unless it is how you define 'relevant'. Which wouldn't really surprise me, as it is abundantly clear to even the vast majority of 'irrelevant' people that you have big problems, your attitude problem not being the least of them.

But let one thing be clear: when I choose to offer helpful suggestions how to solve a problem that people post here, while you are excelling by absence and leave them out in the cold, I don't need your permission. Even if it makes yo turn green and explode with envy, or triggers your usual incoherent rants full of random accusations, I couldn't care less. Seek professional treatment, that is my helpful advice to you...