Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine

Post by bob »

Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

to find out which is the relevant GUI goto:

http://www.google.com
and type chess GUI

you can also try going here:
http://www.yahoo.com

so you can see what people klick when looking for a chess interface. It is not Winboard nor ChessBase.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
It would not hurt to stop this pissing contest. Arena is not "the GUI". I have been running Unix forever. Where's the unix Arena? Xboard has been unix from the get-go. It works flawlessly. So how about getting off this "Arena is the only GUI" nonsense? For some of us, it is not the answer. It is the question. "no" is the answer...
bob

Post by bob »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:We get asked for wizards to do all that which is why we maintain an engines.ini file for that purpose. I don't think HG gets the difference between an ordinary joe and a techie yet.
On the contrary. It is you that seems not to have got it. I think the Arena engines.ini file does not offer any assistance for installing engines at all. I happened to have a look at it when I downloaded Arena 2.5, and I did not see any URLs in it. So I think Arena leaves there 'ordinary Joe' users completly out in the cold, as far as installing the engines on his machine is concerned.

This is your opportunity to correct me if I am wrong out of ignorance: tell us what Joe would have to play Fairy-Max under Arena, when he just downloaded and installed the latter on his virgin Windows computer...
Many engines websites no longer exist. There is for the most part a readme file supplied with most engines.

To use Fairy-Max in Arena when it is not for that?

I'd tell the joe that someone eating a burger in California does not mean he is now not hungry in Florida. I'd also tell them not to use a tractor to win a grand prix.

What are you trying to say? That someone must download and install Arena to use it?

Does Ubuntu come with Xboard already installed?
Actually xboard has been shipping with many distros for years. I personally run Fedora, which has always included xboard... I don't run their shipped version because I want the --enable-zippy option so that I can play automatically on ICC...
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

bob wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:Hi,

to find out which is the relevant GUI goto:

http://www.google.com
and type chess GUI

you can also try going here:
http://www.yahoo.com

so you can see what people klick when looking for a chess interface. It is not Winboard nor ChessBase.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
It would not hurt to stop this pissing contest. Arena is not "the GUI". I have been running Unix forever. Where's the unix Arena? Xboard has been unix from the get-go. It works flawlessly. So how about getting off this "Arena is the only GUI" nonsense? For some of us, it is not the answer. It is the question. "no" is the answer...
It is true that two free to use products should not be at loggerheads with each other. I thought it was over. Can we agree that it is (or should be now)? See my previous post. Its all in there.

Chris
Christopher Conkie

bob wrote:
hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:We get asked for wizards to do all that which is why we maintain an engines.ini file for that purpose. I don't think HG gets the difference between an ordinary joe and a techie yet.
On the contrary. It is you that seems not to have got it. I think the Arena engines.ini file does not offer any assistance for installing engines at all. I happened to have a look at it when I downloaded Arena 2.5, and I did not see any URLs in it. So I think Arena leaves there 'ordinary Joe' users completly out in the cold, as far as installing the engines on his machine is concerned.

This is your opportunity to correct me if I am wrong out of ignorance: tell us what Joe would have to play Fairy-Max under Arena, when he just downloaded and installed the latter on his virgin Windows computer...
Many engines websites no longer exist. There is for the most part a readme file supplied with most engines.

I'd tell the joe that someone eating a burger in California does not mean he is now not hungry in Florida. I'd also tell them not to use a tractor to win a grand prix.

What are you trying to say? That someone must download and install Arena to use it?

Actually xboard has been shipping with many distros for years. I personally run Fedora, which has always included xboard... I don't run their shipped version because I want the --enable-zippy option so that I can play automatically on ICC...
If that is your poison, fine. Our poison runs on windows only, at least right now it does. There is wine of course.

Chris
Christopher Conkie

If anyone else might need "navigation help" please let me know. I am available to provide you with help through the resistance you may encounter......

:)

I am going to mark this day off as an unproductive one but one that may just (in the future) have had its merits.

Good night from a not so strange position after all...

[d]8/3PPP2/4K3/8/P2qN3/3k4/3N4/1q6 w - - 5 70

;-)

Chris
Christopher Conkie

Annotator Alekhine drily commented "the play became somewhat erratic and eventually the game was drawn after a series of odd vicissitudes"

You work it out.......
bob

Post by bob »

bob wrote:
hgm wrote:

If that is your poison, fine. Our poison runs on windows only, at least right now it does. There is wine of course.

Chris
I don't consider Linux to be "poison". No viruses. No worms. No hostile takeovers. It just works.

And it has always worked better than windows. ex: 20:55:30 up 320 days, 10:43, or this one: 20:56:12 up 445 days, 3:33, 3 users. Pretty reliable system.