Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Onno Garms wrote:
CositasBuenas wrote:That's not possible!
I haven't tried Arena, but I run native Linux engines in Shredder GUI under Wine. Works nicely. I think this should work with Arena too.

1. Install putty (Windows ssh client)
2. Have (Linux native) ssh demon running
3. Import your ssh key into putty, to allow putty to connect to localhost without password
4. Create a batch file with this something like

Code: Select all

plink.exe onno@localhost -i id_rsa.ppk /home/onno/Schach/engines/fruit_2.1/fruit
This batch file is your engine and can be added to the Shredder GUI like a Windows engine.
Yes, that makes sense and should work with Arena. However a native Linux version of Arena will solve all that.

The fiddling which you must do with XBoard is soul destroying for the average user and it needs an interface that is you do not need a degree to work. It is obvious it was not designed with "ease of use" in mind.

If there are any GUI programmers out there who could help HG with this fundamental flaw in XBoard and Winboard I am sure that he would accommodate reasonable suggestions.

As it stands......it is a pain in the arse to use. It is in fact, our best friend in the usability stakes (so don't suggest too much).

:)

Chris
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

There is a reason why they asked for another interface and they don't care about XBoard.

All info is available on the Arena page..everybody can read it there, at least those who are relevant...

They will get it soon...

Do you have any personal experiences or any in your family regarding professional treatment (it looks like it), please tell us more.

Random accusations ? You mean like the one I am sending spam ?

Anyway even if I lay down on the floor I couldn't go beneath your attitude...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:The fiddling which you must do with XBoard is soul destroying for the average user and it needs an interface that is you do not need a degree to work. It is obvious it was not designed with "ease of use" in mind.
Bla bla bla...

It is clear that you are just making this up, and haven't the slightest notion of how XBoard works. I don't know what is wrong with you Arena guys, that you feel the need to discredit XBoard by fabrications. You must be extremely scared for competition, resorting to such low methods.

But as you seem bent on turning what was originally a suggestion to a user to privately compare SCID and XBoard to see which would fit his purpose better, rather than picking one based on the first advice he happens to get, into a public comparison of Arena and XBoard...

Show facts, not fabrications and idle babble!

Fact:
WinBoard has a native Linux port, called XBoard, and the two are now nearly equivalent in capabilities and features.

Fact:
Arena at the moment does not have a native Linux port. Will it arrive in any reasonable time, or are the promises for this by the Arena team as fabricated as their statements about XBoard? Who knows?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Michael Diosi wrote:Random accusations ? You mean like the one I am sending spam ?
Oh, you did not notice the 'this-is-a-joke' smiley that went with that?

And, no, this is not what I meant. What I meant is accusing people of cloning and code theft, when it suits you...
Michael Diosi wrote:There is a reason why they asked for another interface and they don't care about XBoard.
I am sure there is. Like, for instance, that other interface gives them trouble.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:
Fact:
WinBoard has a native Linux port, called XBoard, and the two are now nearly equivalent in capabilities and features.
And have the same lack of usability for the average user.....
hgm wrote: Fact:
Arena at the moment does not have a native Linux port. Will it arrive in any reasonable time, or are the promises for this by the Arena team as fabricated as their statements about XBoard? Who knows?
You don't, that's for sure.

How can it be a fabrication to say that configuring an engine for use in Winboard or Xboard is a bind? It just is and there are no two ways about it.

The interface badly needs a makeover and functionality to allow users to be able to get started as quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss.

The Arena site is called playwitharena because you just can.

The Winboard site should be called getfrustratedwithwinboard because that is what most users find it to be.

You say you want feedback. I've given you feedback. The interface in Winboard/Xboard is unwieldy, badly thought out, unhelpful, lacks any automation, bland and not user friendly at all.

Chris
hgm

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:How can it be a fabrication to say that configuring an engine for use in Winboard or Xboard is a bind? It just is and there are no two ways about it.
Not sure what you mean by 'a bind'. To configure, say, Glaurung in XBoard, you just have to click the Load Engine menu, type 'glaurung' as engine command, tick that it is UCI, and 'OK' the dialog. (You could also request some niceties there, like if you want it to use the GUI book, give it a nickname, but that is just optional.)

If you are not happy with the default setting of Glaurung's options, just select 'Engine #1 Settings' from the menu, change whatever settings you want, and click the 'Polyglot Save' button if you want those changes to persist into future sessions.

Sounds simple enough to me. Why do I have the feeling that you are _not_ going to explain here how this can be done much simpler in (your as yet non-existing Linux version of) Arena?
The interface badly needs a makeover and functionality to allow users to be able to get started as quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss.
When was the last time you used XBoard anyway? (Just as a fact check to see if you actually know what you are talking about, and how seriously that should be taken by the casual reader...)

The rest of what you write is pretty much empty rethoric, that deserves no commenting. Good for a few laughs, but not very productive.
The Arena site is called playwitharena because you just can

The Winboard site should be called getfrustratedwithwinboard because that is what most users find it to be.

You say you want feedback. I've given you feedback. The interface in Winboard/Xboard is unwieldy, badly thought out, unhelpful, lacks any automation, bland and not user friendly at all.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Fact:

Hi,

no, fact is that it doesn't have a PUBLIC Linux port. Also fact is that YOU don't know, all relevant people know.

Does Winboard support the Citrine board ? DGT, Phoenix ? , Mysticum ? DCS ?

Competition ? :lol:

Michael
Christopher Conkie

How many Winboard engines can you install at once and how do you do that for even one if it is not possible? I would say UCI but I want to make it easy for the "natives"......
Why do I have the feeling that you are _not_ going to explain here how this can be done much simpler in Arena?
Because I don't need to. It is obvious and simple to do in Arena. Even you could do it. (Hint.... Engines->Manage)
When was the last time you used XBoard anyway? (Just as a check if you actually know what you are talking about...)
The last time was when there was a solar eclipse in the UK.....
The rest of what you write is pretty much empty rethoric, that deserves no commenting. Good for a few laughs, but not very productive.
Says the man (in a thread about Arena yet again) talking about what is so much better (in his world maybe) rather than answering the original question about the subject of the thread.

You do it all the time. Are there any mirrors in your house? If so take a good long look.

BTW I like the pictures. They prove the point soooo very well about lack of usability and cluttered state.

Never own a firearm, you'd end up shooting yourself in the foot.

:-)

Chris
hgm

Post by hgm »

Michael Diosi wrote:no, fact is that it doesn't have a PUBLIC Linux port. Also fact is that YOU don't know, all relevant people know.
O yeah, a non-public port, that will be a great help to the readers of this thread! Why didn't I think of that! :lol:

That you don't consider many people 'relevant' we could already conclude before, no need to rub it in to the poor 'irrelevant' souls.
Does Winboard support the Citrine board ? DGT, Phoenix ? , Mysticum ? DCS ?

Competition ? :lol:
How many of the readers here do have a Citrine board, or similar mystics? :wink: (Don't be shy to report it! After all, it might suddenly make you 'relevant' to the Arena team...)

Are you now trying to create the impression that Arena is primarily targeting the niche market of auto-response board owners, and has little to praise about it for application as a general purpose GUI for Chess?

I have no need to 'sell' XBoard by the argument that it can also do Atomic, Gothic, Chinese and Japanese Chess. It can and they are nice add-ons, (and Arene...), but will hardly impress the average reader here.
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote: How many of the readers here do have a Citrine board, or similar mystics? :wink: (Don't be shy to report it! After all, it might suddenly make you 'relevant' to the Arena team...)
More than those who want to play "Shatranj" in here.
Are you now trying to create the impression that Arena is primarily targeting the niche market of auto-response board owners, and has little to praise about it for application as a general purpose GUI for Chess?
Arena is targeted at those who want to play chess be it in an interface or using a real board.
I have no need to 'sell' XBoard by the argument that it can also do Atomic, Gothic, Chinese and Japanese Chess. It can and they are nice add-ons, (and Arene...), but will hardly impress the average reader here.
No one would pay for it. It is probably a good idea that you don't sell it.

Chris