Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Install native Linux engines in Arena running under Wine

Post by Christopher Conkie »

hgm wrote:
bob wrote:I don't get that either. Earlier versions required "-fcp engine-of-your-choice" and "-fd directory-to-run-engine-in" Not exactly rocket science...
Bob, that is because you are way to smart. Arena apparently targets users for which finding a key on the keyboard is already rocket science.

Which in itself is not a crime; the latest WinBoard beta also allows the user to install and start an engine of his choice using only the mouse (by browsing to the exeutable from the browser button Load Engine menu dialog):

Not useful to me, btw, but implemented due to popular demand. Much to the chagrin of some folks here, apparently...
Allow me to do the rocket science joke if you dont mind.....

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=39065

Vista. Whatever next? It is so true that sometimes you just cannot see the forest because of all the trees in the way.

Chris

(PS Don't mention you use Vista to Bob. You will worry him.)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:We get asked for wizards to do all that which is why we maintain an engines.ini file for that purpose. I don't think HG gets the difference between an ordinary joe and a techie yet.
On the contrary. It is you that seems not to have got it. I think the Arena engines.ini file does not offer any assistance for installing engines at all. I happened to have a look at it when I downloaded Arena 2.5, and I did not see any URLs in it. So I think Arena leaves there 'ordinary Joe' users completly out in the cold, as far as installing the engines on his machine is concerned.

This is your opportunity to correct me if I am wrong out of ignorance: tell us what Joe would have to play Fairy-Max under Arena, when he just downloaded and installed the latter on his virgin Windows computer...
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:We get asked for wizards to do all that which is why we maintain an engines.ini file for that purpose. I don't think HG gets the difference between an ordinary joe and a techie yet.
On the contrary. It is you that seems not to have got it. I think the Arena engines.ini file does not offer any assistance for installing engines at all. I happened to have a look at it when I downloaded Arena 2.5, and I did not see any URLs in it. So I think Arena leaves there 'ordinary Joe' users completly out in the cold, as far as installing the engines on his machine is concerned.

This is your opportunity to correct me if I am wrong out of ignorance: tell us what Joe would have to play Fairy-Max under Arena, when he just downloaded and installed the latter on his virgin Windows computer...
Many engines websites no longer exist. There is for the most part a readme file supplied with most engines.

To use Fairy-Max in Arena when it is not for that?

I'd tell the joe that someone eating a burger in California does not mean he is now not hungry in Florida. I'd also tell them not to use a tractor to win a grand prix.

What are you trying to say? That someone must download and install Arena to use it?

Does Ubuntu come with Xboard already installed?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:Many engines websites no longer exist. There is for the most part a readme file supplied with most engines.
That was why I would think a tool that keeps track of the latest location, and uses it, would be a convenient way to do it. But you, in your omniscient wisdom, claim Arena Joes do not wan that...
How come, 'not for that'? Fairy-Max is an ordinary WinBoard engine that plays standard Chess. I thought Arena was 'just for that'? I have used it in Arena. So tell us how this brilliant wizzard of yours helps non-techie Arena Joe to obtain it.
I'd tell the joe that someone eating a burger in California does not mean he is now not hungry in Florida. I'd also tell them not to use a tractor to win a grand prix.

What are you trying to say? That someone must download and install Arena to use it?
No, that was not what I was saying. Pay attention! The point was that you have to download and install the engines to use them in Arena. And that Arena does not offer any assistance in that, while my tool makes it automatic.
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Many engines websites no longer exist. There is for the most part a readme file supplied with most engines.
That was why I would think a tool that keeps track of the latest location, and uses it, would be a convenient way to do it. But you, in your omniscient wisdom, claim Arena Joes do not wan that...
How come, 'not for that'? Fairy-Max is an ordinary WinBoard engine that plays standard Chess. I thought Arena was 'just for that'? I have used it in Arena. So tell us how this brilliant wizzard of yours helps non-techie Arena Joe to obtain it.

No, that was not what I was saying. Pay attention! The point was that you have to download and install the engines to use them in Arena. And that Arena does not offer any assistance in that, while my tool makes it automatic.
I know what Fairy-Max is and does. I just assumed you were trying to make out that Arena would not play Fairy Chess. Anyway......

We maintain a list of all engines that have current websites and always have done.....

http://www.playwitharena.com/?Engine_Links_Collection

Even Fairy-Max is there.....

Do you maintain such detailed info for Winboard users?

I do admire your tenacity however misplaced it is HG.

Have you any more questions about Arena?

:)

Chris
hgm

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:We maintain a list of all engines that have current websites and always have done.....

Any more questions about Arena?
Still the same. What would Arena Joe have to do to install the engine.

So far it it is clear that he
1) has to be able to use a browser to find the Arena website
2) find the page you mention on it.

Not so good, so far. But I guess the list goes on.
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:We maintain a list of all engines that have current websites and always have done.....

Any more questions about Arena?
Still the same. What would Arena Joe have to do to install the engine.

So far it it is clear that he
1) has to be able to use a browser to find the Arena website
2) find the page you mention on it.

Not so good, so far. But I guess the list goes on.
I'm going to leave your post as unedited as it is. You are losing your cool and it is showing in your inability to post a properly formulated reply......

The ordinary joe would go to Engines->Manage in Arena. He would then clicka de button called Installa de Engines. If he has downloaded the engine and put it in the Engines directory......he can den playa de chess.....

Capiche?

Then he can havea de spaghetti ina de peace....

If he isa de truly lazy bum....he canna downloada de package witha de engines inside.....

http://www.playwitharena.de/downloads/A ... 0Setup.exe

I ama sorry with do not doa de package witha de Fairy-Max as one of "chosen ones"......he is a too obscuria for da mafia.

Chris
hgm

Post by hgm »

Christopher Conkie wrote:If he has downloaded the engine and put it in the Engines directory......he can den playa de chess.....

Capiche?
Yes, I understand that, of course. But unfortunately we are talking about Arena Joe here. So of course he has not downloaded the engine. And of course he has not put it in the Engine directory. The poor guy doesn't even know what a techie thing like a 'directory' is...

That is what I mean by 'Arena leaves him out in the cold'. He has to install the engine all by himself. Even if he manages to navigate through the Arena website, you sent him to my horrible techie download page. If that is not enough to drive him insane the fact that he will have to 'unzip' something would be the clincher.

No such problems for users of my install tool, though...
Last edited by hgm on Sun May 15, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Conkie

hgm wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:If he has downloaded the engine and put it in the Engines directory......he can den playa de chess.....

Capiche?
Yes, I understand that, of course. But unfortunately we are talking about Arena oe here. So of course he has not downloaded the engine. And of course he has not put it in the Engine directory. The poor guy doesn't even know what a techie thing like a 'directory' is...

That is what I mean by 'Arena leaves him out in the cold'. He has to install the engine all by himself. Even if he manages to navigate through the Arena website, you sent him to my horrible techie download page. If that is not enough to drive him insane the fact that he will have to 'unzip' something would be the clincher.

No such problems for users of my install tool, though...
If he isa de truly lazy bum....he canna downloada de package witha de engines inside.....

http://www.playwitharena.de/downloads/A ... 0Setup.exe

I ama sorry with do not doa de package witha de Fairy-Max as one of "chosen ones"......he is a too obscuria for da mafia.

You cannot reada de English?

Chris
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

our users can read the manual...

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com