Fifth Annual ACCA World Computer Rapid Chess Championships

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Re: Fifth Annual ACCA World Computer Rapid Chess Championshi

Post by sje »

Let's hope that ICC doesn't crash and stay down for hours - as it has this morning.
bob

Post by bob »

sje wrote:Let's hope that ICC doesn't crash and stay down for hours - as it has this morning.
I can deal with that a lot better than with losing three games because FICS hung the connection and quit sending Crafty/xboard any moves. :) If ICC goes down (which has been extremely rare) at least the entire tourney would be delayed, not just cause random losses...
sje

In the dark

Post by sje »

bob wrote:
sje wrote:Let's hope that ICC doesn't crash and stay down for hours - as it has this morning.
I can deal with that a lot better than with losing three games because FICS hung the connection and quit sending Crafty/xboard any moves. :) If ICC goes down (which has been extremely rare) at least the entire tourney would be delayed, not just cause random losses...
For summertime events, it is admittedly more likely that any disconnects will be at my end due to the seasonal prevalence of thunderstorms and the poor electricity supply infrastructure.

Perhaps the event TD crew could email a phone number to the participants so that those who unexpectedly find themselves in the dark can call in a notification.
bob

Post by bob »

CRoberson wrote:
BubbaTough wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
BubbaTough wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Due to the problems with FICS during the last CCT, we will not consider FICS as a host. We will continue to utilize ICC. We've not had problems there.

Disconnects between rounds do not count as penalties. Disconnects that don't interrupt a game are not penalized. There is an ICC command that allows us to track disconnects with time stamps.

If you can turn on kibitz or books without disconnecting that is fine. If it takes a disconnect to turn kibitz on then you should do so if it would be the first of the game for your engine.

Usually, people disconnect between rounds if they want to switch engine versions or reboot the computer ... I don't have a problem with a GUI option that allows changing versions without a disconnect.

If you can come up with a tool that allows a computer reboot without a disconnect, I am fine with that too. :D
You may want to put in some exception that deals with the situation where there are multiple rapid disconnects (which should count as a single one in my mind). This has happened to me a number of times on ICC, where some script error logs me in and out rapidly (as in several times in a second). Or just put in some wiggle room, such as making it clear the tournament director can ignore a disconnect under special circumstances if desired.

-Sam
The disconnect rule pertains to disconnects that actually interrupt the game and that is stated in the rules page. The TD's at ICC have access to info that tells if a disconnect actually interrupted the game.

Scenario 1: The game has started and you zoom through the book and it disconnects. This counts as a disconnect.

Scenario 2: In some attempt to reconnect, you disconnect again before the game can be resumed. This does NOT count as a disconnect.

Scenario 3: In some attempt to reconnect, you resume game and then loose connection again. This counts as a disconnect.

Scenario 4: The round starts and you disconnect and reconnect before your game is started. This does NOT count as a disconnect.

Scenario 5: The round starts and you are several minutes late for the round. This does NOT count as a disconnect.

I think this covers the bases. If anybody has a question/suggestion lets hear it.
I am thinking of scenario 3, which can happen multiple times in rapid succession because of ICC auto-restarting game when your script is logging you on and off due to some bug. In my opinion all those restarted games should just count as 1 disconnect, but you can of course count them however you want to.

-Sam
I don't recall any auto-resume. I recall having to type "resume" myself on ICC.
Xboard can be told to send this automatically. Many do so to make automated play work without intervention on games adjourned because of a disconnect. For me, when xboard connects, it sends a "resume" to try to start any pending games that might have been left laying around... And that certainly lets you get into a quick cycle of disconnect/reconnect at times...
sje

Re: In the dark

Post by sje »

sje wrote:
bob wrote:
For summertime events, it is admittedly more likely that any disconnects will be at my end due to the seasonal prevalence of thunderstorms and the poor electricity supply infrastructure.

Perhaps the event TD crew could email a phone number to the participants so that those who unexpectedly find themselves in the dark can call in a notification.
Symbolic disconnected from ICC twice today for several hours each time due to summer storm power outages. I should try to sneak past the Canadian customs guards along the northern border and camp out next to one of Hydro Quebec's power plants.