what is best chess engine and gui for mac?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: what is best chess engine and gui for mac?

Post by hgm »

Well, maybe if you are set upto install engines from source, you will also be able to install XBoard from source. The latest development version can be found at

http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... s/hgmaster

(You can click "snapshot to download a tar ball with sources.)

This has the Load Engine dialog, and I have improved that a bit further: it is now possible to have an engine you load this way added to a list of installed engines (saved in the settings file), and there is a combobox to select from this list. (See the updated screenshot above.)

In any case I will ask the guy that also made the 4.5.1 package to make a package with this version. But that might take some time.
javimm

Post by javimm »

Thanks, H.G. I'll give it a try and post back if I'm able to compile it. Compiling console apps in the Mac is a piece of cake (usually), because they use standard functions, but compiling an app with a graphical GUI is harder.
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote: If you want a GUI that is a native Mac application, why not write a native "front-end" for XBoard? (So that we will have an XBoard, a WinBoard and a MacBoard.)
I have a rudimentary beginning of that, which mainly needs all menu items to actually do something and doesn't interface with the backend at all yet. It's mainly a proof-of-concept for myself to figure out enough ObjC to know that I could make the thing work if I wanted to, then I somehow lost my motivation for it.
That said, I have no real issues running normal XBoard; my only complaint is that OS X treats X11 applications as second-class citizens.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Still, it sounds interesting. Connecting the menu items to the corresponding back-end actions cannot be that much work.
hgm

Post by hgm »

javimm wrote:Thanks, H.G. I'll give it a try and post back if I'm able to compile it. Compiling console apps in the Mac is a piece of cake (usually), because they use standard functions, but compiling an app with a graphical GUI is harder.
The 4.5 beta Mac version is now available from the same place as where you downloaded the 4.5.1 package:

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=50428

The link to the beta version with the 'on-the-fly' engine loading is at the bottom of the first post.

I am not sure everything will always work flawlessly when you try to switch engine during a game. The idea of this batch is that you should be able to do that. So I tried to avoid having the load event will alter the game state in any way, and after initializing the new engine, it will feed it any setup position and moves, to leave you in Edit-Game mode. Only when you load an engine from the list in the settings file that has a -variant option on its engine line for a variant different than that of the loaded game, it will discard the game in progress, and switch to the mentioned variant. (Not sure what else I could do; it makes little sense to have an engine that only plays Xiangqi finish a Crayhouse game...)

It is kind of hard to figure out what exactly to re-initialize, and what to leave alone, in this case.

Installing the engines is also a bit primitive; they can only be added to the end of the list. There is no way to delete engines from the list, or re-order them. For that you should still edit the settings file. When you add an engine tothe list, it adds the proper arguments to launch it as UCI, WB v1 (suppressing the wait time for feature commands that v1 engines will not send), specify if it should use its own book rather than the GUI book, and (for variant engines), if it should only play the current variant.

I am not sure if I should still include a checkbox for the /reuse options. WB v2 engines (including UCI) should specify this themselves through the reuse features.
javimm

Post by javimm »

hgm wrote: The 4.5 beta Mac version is now available from the same place as where you downloaded the 4.5.1 package:

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=50428

The link to the beta version with the 'on-the-fly' engine loading is at the bottom of the first post.
I've downloaded the source code from GIT and compilation was a piece of cake. Just ./autogen.sh, ./configure, and make and success, so anyone with a Mac with Xcode (free download) installed can compile it.

Anyway, I downloaded the installation package and I'm using that. Now I have the Board options menu, and the engine selection menu, but it's unstable. I changed from FairyMax to Fruit and Xboard didn't let me to play a game. It complains about e4: illegal move. Then switching back to FairyMax gives a Polyglot error, and crashes Xboard. I have to test it further, but it's a great advance. I'll keep an eye on the Xboard project.

Cheers.
hgm

Post by hgm »

What sequence of events did you do exactly that didn't work?

When I start XBoard without any options, so that it loads the default engine fairymax, and then go to Engine->Load Engine, type "fruit" for "Engine Command", tick "UCI" and press "OK", I can play e4 without problem. Fruit won't reply automatically, because after loading an engine I let XBoard always switch to Edit Game mode, so you would have to select Mode -> Machine Black to set Fruit thinking, plays d5, I enter exd5, Fruit plays Nf6. Then I try Load Engine again, this time type "fairymax" in the "Engine Command", click "OK", and play Nf3. Again I have to start the engine with Machine Black, but that sets Fairy-Max thinking, and it plays Nxd5. So everything seems to work for me.

Problem is that I can only debug when I now how to trigger the error...

[edit] Oh,I see something now. It doesn't work anymore when I don't use the Load Engine menu, but try to play immediately. Fairy-Max just never gets sent a "new" command.
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, I think it should be fixed now, in the latest snapshot at

http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... s/hgmaster

I had broken something when preparing XBoard for handling an arbitrary number of engines; for this I had to replace all "firstSomething" and "secondSomething" by "something[0]" and "something[1]", respectively. But the problem was that for the command to start a game the variable was not called "firstInitString", but plain "initString", as only exception. So I had globally replaced that by initString[0]. But the name "initString" also occurred in other places, and replacing it by initString[0] there caused the bug.