Android Chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

muxecoid

Android Chess

Post by muxecoid »

I'm going to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/eLocity-Touchscre ... 003Z6QH5S/

I wonder what chess programs I can run on it. I checked the android market and only Shredder looked promising.

Any suggestions?
Robert Weck

Re: Android Chess

Post by Robert Weck »

Droidfish
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Rival 1.1.1 for Android

Post by Sylwy »

http://www.rivalchess.com/

From the 15-th of March 2011 AC

:roll: S :roll:
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

Robert Weck wrote:Droidfish
I heard strength limit does not really work on it.
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

muxecoid wrote:I'm going to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/eLocity-Touchscre ... 003Z6QH5S/
With Chess for Android, you can import any UCI engine that has been compiled for Android (see these ARM compilations), including a few that support parallel search to keep multi-cores busy.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

abik wrote: With Chess for Android, you can import any UCI engine that has been compiled for Android (see these ARM compilations), including a few that support parallel search to keep multi-cores busy.
Some wishes:
Is there a chance for pondering on Chess for Android? And the library could be improved...

And when you are running CfA with an UCI-engine and switch to the Android-home-screen, then the engine is kicked out of the GUI and the default-engine takes it over.

I guess your app is still in the early stages, but it is very promising! Keep up the good work!

all the best,
Robert
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

Robert Weck wrote:Is there a chance for pondering on Chess for Android? And the library could be improved...
And when you are running CfA with an UCI-engine and switch to the Android-home-screen, then the engine is kicked out of the GUI and the default-engine takes it over.
This is actually by design. On a typical device, you don't want large processes hanging around when going to make a phone call. However, I can easily reload the UCI engine on restart of the chess app if users find that useful. I am also working on "infinite analysis". Pondering sounds useful too. As for improving the book opening, Chess for Android has a library that more or less mimics my own limited chess opening knowledge :-), but UCI engines are free to import their own book.
Robert Weck wrote:I guess your app is still in the early stages, but it is very promising! Keep up the good work!
Thanks. It is a hobby that has gotten a little out of hand.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

muxecoid wrote:I'm going to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/eLocity-Touchscre ... 003Z6QH5S/

I wonder what chess programs I can run on it. I checked the android market and only Shredder looked promising.

Any suggestions?
Shredder Chess, Chess Genius and Chess by Mobilia are all good on the Droid platform.

Rival Chess looks good I just haven't tried it.

Droidfish is well done and IS a good app, but there is no limit strength feature at all so I don't use it on my droid.

Hiarcs is supposedly working on a version for the Droid as well.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

abik wrote: This is actually by design. On a typical device, you don't want large processes hanging around when going to make a phone call. However, I can easily reload the UCI engine on restart of the chess app if users find that useful.
Sounds good! But maybe you could make it an option like "Keep engine in memory"?
I am also working on "infinite analysis". Pondering sounds useful too.
maybe pondering could be limited to 5 - 10 mins or even stopped as soon as CfA is not running in the foreground to avoid heavy CPU load that eats up your battery.
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

I bought Shredder. The blunders on lower strength settings are very natural. The engine is fun to play against.

In "Chess for Android" I do not understand hoe to enter analysis mode.