Critter bugfix update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norm Pollock

Re: Critter bugfix update

Post by Norm Pollock »

Norm Pollock wrote:Hi Richard,

The new version 1.01 does not work for older w32 computers (non-sse). Version 1.00 worked.

-Norm
Thanks to Charles Browne, I am now able to use 1.01.

The book that comes with Critter has to be renamed/hidden in order for Critter to work with "old" non-sse CPUs. So it seems Critter works with non-sse CPUs, but its book does not.
rvida

Post by rvida »

Norm Pollock wrote:
Norm Pollock wrote:Hi Richard,

The new version 1.01 does not work for older w32 computers (non-sse). Version 1.00 worked.

-Norm
Thanks to Charles Browne, I am now able to use 1.01.

The book that comes with Critter has to be renamed/hidden in order for Critter to work with "old" non-sse CPUs. So it seems Critter works with non-sse CPUs, but its book does not.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Critter won't run on a 16-bit CPU either :)

But seriously, there are some floating point computations in Critter, and my compiler is set to produce Pentium III compatible code. Which means the compiler is free to insert SSE-1 code anywhere it deems appropriate.

On anything older than PIII its performance would suck anyway, because modern engines depend quite heavily on large L2(L3) CPU caches.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hallo Richard,
rvida wrote:
The change should be perceivable only in infinite analysis or with very long TC. Depths reached with IPON time control should not be affected at all.

Richard
Thanks for the info, I will substitude Critter 1.0 with 1.01 from now on for the IPON

Bye
Ingo