The silence of Robert Houdart

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carlos Ylich

The silence of Robert Houdart

Post by Carlos Ylich »

Is the silence of Robert Houdart means it has sold Houdini
ChessBase or is working hard on version 2.0?
:roll:
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Re: The silence of Robert Houdart

Post by tjfroh »

Carlos,

Yes. I would capitalize on Houdini. Mr. Houdart is smarter than me.
He will maximize his profits. I would pay up to $150.00 USD for a killer chess program with massive opening books and massive databases.

Tio Timmy
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Carlos Ylich wrote:Is the silence of Robert Houdart means it has sold Houdini
ChessBase or is working hard on version 2.0?
:roll:
Not much from Robert lately. He may be waiting for the outcome of
the Rybka/Fruit thing.
He may be working on a new version. Hope so.

Best,
Gerold.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

@Carlos, The two options you present are not mutually exclusive :D. But yes, I'm currently working hard on Houdini 2.0.

@Gerold, I'm not in the least influenced by the Fruit/Rybka thing, I have no dealings with the ICGA.

Cheers,
Robert
gerold

Post by gerold »

Houdini wrote:@Carlos, The two options you present are not mutually exclusive :D. But yes, I'm currently working hard on Houdini 2.0.

@Gerold, I'm not in the least influenced by the Fruit/Rybka thing, I have no dealings with the ICGA.

Cheers,
Robert
Glad to hear your reply Robert. More power to you,

Best,
Gerold.
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Houdini wrote:@Carlos, The two options you present are not mutually exclusive :D. But yes, I'm currently working hard on Houdini 2.0.

Cheers,
Robert
Some things we don't know. Other things we do know. And we do know, on the word of Don Dailey, that even if you, Mr. Houdart, muster another +50 ELO out of Houdini 2.0, it won't be the result of any new chess engine ideas you will have created, but just the handiwork of a skilled debugger.

You see, although Komodo is 150 ELO below Houdini, it's 100% "original" as to the 1% of the total code that matters, i.e., approx. 5% of the search() and about 3% of the eval() code. Of course, these days, around 99% of the source code is ministerial in nature, one-input-one-output crap functions, public domain junk like magic bitboards, bit counting asm garbage, etc.

It's a pity that fine debuggers like you don't get as much credit as the guys spinning their wheels creating buggy "original" code comprising just around 1% of the engine.

Robert, you and Don should partner up! Think about it. Do you smell the dollars, the euros?! You could explain to Don and Larry the Ippo* code, and then Don could figure out how to rewrite the code so that it's "original". You follow? Then, you, Robert, debug the holy shit out of Don's original rewrite. Sign a 50/50 partnership agreement, sell through Chessbase and go to the bank!
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

benstoker wrote:

Cheers,
Robert
Some things we don't know. Other things we do know. And we do know, on the word of Don Dailey, that even if you, Mr. Houdart, muster another +50 ELO out of Houdini 2.0, it won't be the result of any new chess engine ideas you will have created, but just the handiwork of a skilled debugger.

You see, although Komodo is 150 ELO below Houdini, it's 100% "original" as to the 1% of the total code that matters, i.e., approx. 5% of the search() and about 3% of the eval() code. Of course, these days, around 99% of the source code is ministerial in nature, one-input-one-output crap functions, public domain junk like magic bitboards, bit counting asm garbage, etc.

It's a pity that fine debuggers like you don't get as much credit as the guys spinning their wheels creating buggy "original" code comprising just around 1% of the engine.

Robert, you and Don should partner up! Think about it. Do you smell the dollars, the euros?! You could explain to Don and Larry the Ippo* code, and then Don could figure out how to rewrite the code so that it's "original". You follow? Then, you, Robert, debug the holy shit out of Don's original rewrite. Sign a 50/50 partnership agreement, sell through Chessbase and go to the bank!
It is really odd that you insist in lambasting Don's work like this.

Why suggest that only 1% of his work is original, that he wants to rewrite IPPO code, and finally that his programming skills are so poor that they require an outsider to debug them?

What do you have against him?
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Cheers,
Robert
I can't wait. I love Houdini so much. Thank you Robert for developing it.
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Albert Silver wrote:
benstoker wrote:

Cheers,
Robert

It is really odd that you insist in lambasting Don's work like this.

Why suggest that only 1% of his work is original, that he wants to rewrite IPPO code, and finally that his programming skills are so poor that they require an outsider to debug them?

What do you have against him?
Albert, take this as your opportunity to, for the very first time, define that word of yours, "original". Start with that.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

benstoker wrote:

Cheers,
Robert

Yes, because that is what _everyone_ wants. To spend hard earned money on re-hashed/debugged code that gives a slight ELO gain.

Do you honestly think that Chessbase or any other company is going to purchase/sell something that is freely available in the public domain?

I'll tell you what. How about I grab the code for Robbolitto, add my name to the UCI string, and you can purchase a copy of "My" program for 300 euro? Maybe 500.. after all I did have to compile it and change some values. Hard work.. and I _deserve_ to be paid for it.

It might be better than the original, it might not. But I am totally willing to sell you it.

I shall call it.. UrMnysMyne 1.0. Deal? I will accept PayPal or direct money transfer. No personal cheques however. I'm sure you understand.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.