Chess base engines room full of Houdini 1.5!!! Great new!!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Chess base engines room full of Houdini 1.5!!! Great new

Post by Milos »

CRoberson wrote:Create a 2000 Elo program from scratch without references and that is more impressive.
Some ppl enjoy reinventing the wheel, others advancing the field. Fortunately, the first ones are in great majority...
Also, you missed HGM's point. He understood the math. He just stated a counter issue that could be correct, but the monkey could accidentally type it sooner than expected. Most stats don't predict when; just how often. How often is not the same thing as when.
On the contrary, statistics also tells us "when" with a given certainty. It's just a matter of formulation. Unfortunately statistics is not the forte of most...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Milos wrote:Some ppl enjoy reinventing the wheel, others advancing the field. Fortunately, the first ones are in great majority...
Actually people that are not capable of doing either are in great majority, and the groups you mention are a tiny minority. They are merely monkeys that type gibberish, and there is no hope for them they will ever accomplish more in the lifetime of the universe.

Err... Which group again did you say you belonged to? :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Milos wrote:
Also, you missed HGM's point. He understood the math. He just stated a counter issue that could be correct, but the monkey could accidentally type it sooner than expected. Most stats don't predict when; just how often. How often is not the same thing as when.
On the contrary, statistics also tells us "when" with a given certainty. It's just a matter of formulation. Unfortunately statistics is not the forte of most...
Ok. Prove it. If you come up with something like ".... says P(n) = 1 in 10". That is just how often, not when.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

hgm wrote:
Milos wrote:"A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."
You believe that? :shock:

Do the math! They wouldn't even be able to reproduce your posting. By the time it was statistically due they would be way to smart to type anything like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never monkey with the truth Muller, its more like:
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to you and this Forum , we now know this isn't true.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

But I thought he had a private engine, without a name, that doesn't play anywhere, and that no one has ever seen.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, don't feel embarrassed. Infinity is a difficult concept. And to a zero, evrything seems like infinity. So you cannot expect a zero to appreciate the difference between 150 and 2000. :lol: :lol: :lol:
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

hgm wrote:Well, don't feel embarrassed. Infinity is a difficult concept. And to a zero, evrything seems like infinity. So you cannot expect a zero to appreciate the difference between 150 and 2000. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist."

Jorge Luis Borges, in The Immortal

Miguel
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

michiguel wrote:"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist."

I hate you, Miguel.

I keep trying to stop visiting the CCC, but how can I possibly succeed in leaving as long as you keep dropping Borges quotes? Tonight I was hoping to finally try to get up-to-date with my computer chess e-mail, but of course now I'll have to re-read The Immortal instead. And it's all your fault.

More on-topic: There is no point in arguing with Milos, but for the other computer chess fans out there: HGM's MicroMax is a phenomenal achievement, and easily one of the most (if not the most) impressive chess programs I know. It's not just a 2000 rated chess program, it's a 2000 rated program with less than 2000 characters (yes, I do mean characters, not lines) of source code. This is more than 1 Elo point per character. Try to beat that!
frcha

Post by frcha »

michiguel wrote:
hgm wrote:Well, don't feel embarrassed. Infinity is a difficult concept. And to a zero, evrything seems like infinity. So you cannot expect a zero to appreciate the difference between 150 and 2000. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist."

Miguel
Unlike your tedious gods, I am God, I am philosopher, I am demon and I made your world which means you do not exist. - Charles

Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Tord Romstad wrote:More on-topic: There is no point in arguing with Milos, but for the other computer chess fans out there: HGM's MicroMax is a phenomenal achievement, and easily one of the most (if not the most) impressive chess programs I know. It's not just a 2000 rated chess program, it's a 2000 rated program with less than 2000 characters (yes, I do mean characters, not lines) of source code. This is more than 1 Elo point per character. Try to beat that!
Easy: just rebase the Elo scale. If you subtract 4000 Elo from all the ratings, then you get rewarded for having more characters. :)