Chess base engines room full of Houdini 1.5!!! Great new!!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Richard Stickles

Re: IvanHoe 0B.01.09 x64 (4 cores): 16.3 plies; 4.660kN/s In

Post by Richard Stickles »

Father wrote:Richard :D :D :D I am very happy to see you again!!! :D :D :D
Same here Pablo, Stop bye the engine room tomorrow so we can chat a bit , I'm using the nick COMP FRITZ or Revenge ..
Richard Allbert

Re: Thanks to Chess Community !!

Post by Richard Allbert »

But the problem is your dream of 500 engines will be 490 users using the same engine.

That's the problem with the engine room.

I've tried my engine a few times, but what's the point? Lose 300 games in a row vs various Hardware + Rybka 4.

It'S a great interface, but at the moment FICS or ICC are better - you get a much bigger variety of engines.

Regards

Richard
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Chess base engines room full of Houdini 1.5!!! Great new

Post by hgm »

Milos wrote:"A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."
You believe that? :shock:

Do the math! They wouldn't even be able to reproduce your posting. By the time it was statistically due they would be way to smart to type anything like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:
Milos wrote:"A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."
You believe that? :shock:

Do the math! They wouldn't even be able to reproduce your posting. By the time it was statistically due they would be way to smart to type anything like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
The math is that if they have an infinite time you can be sure that they are going to type the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Reality is that people do not have an infinite time.
hgm

Post by hgm »

They won't, because even when given infinite time, they will die, evolve or get extinct.
Milos

Post by Milos »

hgm wrote:Do the math! They wouldn't even be able to reproduce your posting. By the time it was statistically due they would be way to smart to type anything like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are obviously missing the point.
Even some dumb mediocre 2000 elo engine would draw against Houdini or Rybka 4, 2 games in 2000 and win 1.
Thinking that writing 2000 elo engine is an achievement is quite a bit self-delusional...
However, ppl get excited even with smaller things in life, so that is something to be expected... :lol:
Michel

Post by Michel »

Thinking that writing 2000 elo engine is an achievement is quite a bit self-delusional...
So what is your "achievement"? Downloading Houdini?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Michel wrote:So what is your "achievement"? Downloading Houdini?
I think it is a save bet that this is the point he is missing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But of course the fact remains that micro-Max has about 10 and 100 times as many Elo per character than Houdini, and that no engine approaches that even remotely. So it might not be as easy as mr no-achievement seems to think. :wink:
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Re: Thanks to Chess Community !!

Post by Father »

"But the problem is your dream of 500 engines will be 490 users using the same engine.
agree.

"That's the problem with the engine room."
Agree

"I've tried my engine a few times, but what's the point? Lose 300 games in a row vs various Hardware + Rybka 4."

"It'S a great interface, but at the moment FICS or ICC are better - you get a much bigger variety of engines."

Not agree.
ICC and its computers- drivers to protect a false status and a false paradigm. I don’t believe in ICC elo.

ICC is a hight club, an excelent chess club in the blue earth, but ...ICC to punish the players that play against computers and win the computers with anticomputers techniques, except if the player is a very important GM. The persons that play in ICC that are better playing computers that the top GMS are not welcome if they are not part of the elite class. It is the high racism I have ever seen. For example an expert (amateur) that has the best performance playing computers in ICC immediately as a prize ICC gives his/her the penalty. Then in this exactly moment a democratic club has muted in logia … it is the same that the marketing done when they never accepted the antichess in an open wall. "An Aristocratic knowledge and the knowledge as colonialism, in science" is the more dark way option we could walk. "The Macartization and Houdinization" are stupid. For that reazon when are seeing in playchess playing just now Houdini’s, all of us has a real fact and probe about democracy and freedom… Politics, Religion, Science with that has been teaches apologetically is a mistake… In the name of the apologetic, history has produced the highest monsters ever history has had.Now we have some of them, and the last century produce a lot of them in the right and left hands. The sons of the night, Everybody knows systems and politics when we have not the chance for an open forum…much kind of totalitarism that personally I don’t like because they don’t know finally the moral and human rights.

With best respect Richard.

Pablo Ignacio Restrepo
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Milos wrote:
hgm wrote:Do the math! They wouldn't even be able to reproduce your posting. By the time it was statistically due they would be way to smart to type anything like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are obviously missing the point.
Even some dumb mediocre 2000 elo engine would draw against Houdini or Rybka 4, 2 games in 2000 and win 1.
However, ppl get excited even with smaller things in life, so that is something to be expected... :lol:

It is not so much what you did as it is "how you did it". Creating a 3300 Elo program by downloading one is boring. Do it by cut and paste and that is impressive to a 12 year old. Create a 2000 Elo program from scratch without references and that is more impressive.

Also, you missed HGM's point. He understood the math. He just stated a counter issue that could be correct, but the monkey could accidentally type it sooner than expected. Most stats don't predict when; just how often. How often is not the same thing as when.