Spike 1.4 is available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

Re: Strength limiting problems

Post by tomgdrums »

Mangar wrote:Hi Michael,

sorry, I don´t know how but an old bug has somehow managed to get into the current version of Spike. You can´t switch on elo reduction. Sorry. It should have worked with the uci parameter thus the Arena´s ELO limiting feature is the right way to use.

The contempt value is the value Spike adds to a draw to prevent him to get into repetition draw if playing against weak engines. This has nothing to do with elo reduction.

Greetings Volker
So that means the elo reduction isn't working the Shredder GUI as well?

Will there be an update?

Thanks!
tomgdrums

Re: Spike 1.4 is available

Post by tomgdrums »

Mangar wrote:Hi Tom,

you have to enter some filename, if you want to use book learning. It doesn´t matter whicht filename you choose. Extension doesn´t matter.

Greetings Volker
Do I have to enter a filename for position learning as well?

Thanks!
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Thanks for this. Very interesting engine/eval.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Spike occasionally crashes on my machine in UCI mode (but not in Winboard mode) when playing high speed games.

I have all learning enabled for both Winboard and UCI with Spike.
fluviumque

Post by fluviumque »

OK, thanks Volker for making things clear :)
I'm highly interested in that feature.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Under the UCI mode Spike doesn't create a position learning file,nor a book learning one....does it work only under the Winboard protocol :!: :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Under the UCI mode Spike doesn't create a position learning file,nor a book learning one....does it work only under the Winboard protocol :!: :?:
That happened with 1.2 Turin version too. I always had to use it in wb mode to have position learning working.
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rodolfoleoni wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Under the UCI mode Spike doesn't create a position learning file,nor a book learning one....does it work only under the Winboard protocol :!: :?:
That happened with 1.2 Turin version too. I always had to use it in wb mode to have position learning working.
True....it looks like the learning feature is not functional under the UCI protocol....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….