Grand premiere! The new TCEC! Completely redesigned. Forum++

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Grand premiere! The new TCEC! Completely redesigned. For

Post by Albert Silver »

PawnStormZ wrote:Hi Martin.

Not to criticize your work but I have to agree that the dark background with dark Grey text is just about unreadable here. Maybe it is browser-specific, I use Opera 10.61.

Have you tried viewing your page in various browsers? I have noticed that there are some pretty big differences sometimes between them, though of course that should not be the case.

Best of luck with TCEC, I have enjoyed following the tourneys.

I don't think it is a browser thing, Opera renders the same. As we grow older, the eyes darken and dark tones become harder to see and distinguish. It IS too dark, but I think that is the reason for the near illegibility. Unless you tell me you are twenty, in which case... Check your monitor settings. :-)
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
PawnStormZ

Grand premiere! The new TCEC! Completely redesigned. For

Post by PawnStormZ »

Thanks Albert; monitor, and eyes, are working just fine here!   :)

FYI, browsers DO render pages differently. Sometimes it is slight, and sometimes it can ruin a look. I have seen it mostly with tables, but sometimes the colors are different too, enough to spoil what you thought looked really good.

Actually, he must have made some more changes over-night because the back is a bit better today, though the contrast is still not what I would use.

Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

PawnStormZ wrote:   Thanks Albert; monitor, and eyes, are working just fine here!   :)

FYI, browsers DO render pages differently. Sometimes it is slight, and sometimes it can ruin a look. I have seen it mostly with tables, but sometimes the colors are different too, enough to spoil what you thought looked really good.

Actually, he must have made some more changes over-night because the back is a bit better today, though the contrast is still not what I would use.

BTW, check out Opera 11 which just came out. It has some fantastic new features and also completely eliminated the site compatibility issues that existed even with Opera 10.x
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Thank you for the tip Albert. I was not yet aware that a new version was available. I really like Opera, and am going to check it out right now!   :arrow:
ppetrov

Post by ppetrov »

The dark background is fine. The low contrast however is not - text color should be brighter.

Also, there is an issue with the site header. It seems designed for very large resolutions only, ignoring the more common ones. E.g. on my 1360 horizontal pixels the section links overlap with the TCEC logo/text on the left.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

ppetrov wrote:The dark background is fine. The low contrast however is not - text color should be brighter.

Also, there is an issue with the site header. It seems designed for very large resolutions only, ignoring the more common ones. E.g. on my 1360 horizontal pixels the section links overlap with the TCEC logo/text on the left.
I have now adjusted the text contrast. Please refresh and let me know if it's better.

The background is supposed to be dark. :D

As I wrote in my initial post, users with small screens won't be as happy. If you have at least 1280 px horizontal resolution then it should be fine.

I have tested with the following browsers with which there were no problems:

IE 8
Opera 10
Opera 11
Chrome 8.0.552
Firefox 3.6
PawnStormZ

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Martin.

Your changes have made a big difference. The text is now readable and the page is much easier to look at (though NO design will ever please everyone).

Your choice to design for the resolution that you want; I run my browser in a window at 1024px wide since that (I think) is a much more common size. When I was making pages on my system (1920px) I forgot that it would not fit well when viewed on smaller screens (big shock when I looked at my "cool page" on someone else's pc!).

I do not have the problem mentioned above with overlapping, I just need to scroll horiz to see all, or maximize the window.

Best of luck with the tourneys, and the site!     :)

Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

PawnStormZ wrote:   Hi Martin.

Your changes have made a big difference. The text is now readable and the page is much easier to look at (though NO design will ever please everyone).

Your choice to design for the resolution that you want; I run my browser in a window at 1024px wide since that (I think) is a much more common size. When I was making pages on my system (1920px) I forgot that it would not fit well when viewed on smaller screens (big shock when I looked at my "cool page" on someone else's pc!).

I do not have the problem mentioned above with overlapping, I just need to scroll horiz to see all, or maximize the window.

Best of luck with the tourneys, and the site!     :)

Great!

Yes I know about people with smaller screens might not appreciate
this change, but it was a change I personally wanted to do.

By looking at my visitor stats I can see that the majority is having screens
at 1280px wide or larger. Of course, some have not and they will have to
use the scroll bars.

But in the end this proeject was only created for myself but I
want to let the people interested in it take part of it. I make no
money on this, I just spend a lot of time coding by trial and error.

Thanks again!
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

I use a 1920x1200 high-quality monitor, but I still find the colored text on the dark background difficult to read.
But that's just a minor issue, congrats for your site, I'm looking forward to following the tournaments.
ernest

Post by ernest »

Martin Thoresen wrote:What is dark exactly?
Dark background: BAD BAD BAD idea!!!!!!!!