There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

De Vos W

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent!

Post by De Vos W »

Free from the Internet:

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent, but now some are Rybka beta testers who receive free copies of the final product;
Personal relationship with Rybka author has grown to the point where they feel as if part of the team, and there is also an emotional attachment -- so testing another engine that's much stronger/better (Houdini and other) than the one they helped produce, and publishing the results seem inappropriate.
An independent tester's job is to provide data; not to promote a particular engine.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
De Vos W

Re: There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent!

Post by De Vos W »

Would you prefer CEGT and CCRL to include the "forbidden" engines in their lists?
Definitely YES.
57% [ 58 ]
YES but i'm not so sure.
5% [ 5 ]
Definitely NO.
23% [ 23 ]
I would rather say NO.
4% [ 4 ]
I don't care.
10% [ 10 ]

Voted : 100
Total Votes : 100

This poll does not expire
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Note that you could get more yes in case that the question was specifically about houdini.

I did not vote but my opinion is yes for houdini but no for programs without a known author.
Michel

Post by Michel »

De Vos W wrote:Free from the Internet:

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent, but now some are Rybka beta testers who receive free copies of the final product;
Personal relationship with Rybka author has grown to the point where they feel as if part of the team, and there is also an emotional attachment -- so testing another engine that's much stronger/better (Houdini and other) than the one they helped produce, and publishing the results seem inappropriate.
An independent tester's job is to provide data; not to promote a particular engine.
Can you please shut up.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

There was a time when CCRL/CEGT was independent, but now some are Rybka beta testers who receive free copies of the final product
I'll repeat for you one last time because I've said it before numerous times (not that it's anybody's business anyway). Only one CCRL tester was a beta tester for Rybka.

Here's a little project for you. Take the number of Rybka games we've run and calculate the percentage of games that it has in our database.
Rybka is only one of more than 200 engines that we test.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Just like there are some CCRL/CEGT testers that are testing forbidden engines privately, does not mean that there are not some who are testing Rybka 4.1 beta+ others in private ( in return for promising Vas oath of loyalty, ) which on the other hand means not making their test of suspicious engines publicly available...
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

Michel wrote:

Can you please shut up.
This can help! Of course, using it means I'll miss out if the OP ever has something useful to say.

Anyway, some people here are missing the point. The CCRL is actually conspiring with the Stockfish team. Need proof? They've tested beta versions of the engine, and they allowed it to dethrone Rybka 3 for a clear first place on the FRC list when 1.7 came out. I tell you, it's flagrant open-source promotion.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Damir wrote:Just like there are some CCRL/CEGT testers that are testing forbidden engines privately, does not mean that there are not some who are testing Rybka 4.1 beta+ others in private ( in return for promising Vas oath of loyalty, ) which on the other hand means not making their test of suspicious engines publicly available...
"oath of loyalty"???

These conversations get goofier with each passing day.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

I am sure you have a much better explanation why they are not testing Houdini since you are saying that...
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Damir wrote:I am sure you have a much better explanation why they are not testing Houdini since you are saying that...
Nope, I don't. I just think this whole thing has just gotten outrageous. These clone or not clone debates are beginning to make the Republicans and Democrats here in America look like they are having rational arguments.

Everyone is rationalizing their argument like crazy.

Even though I don't use his engine, it is one of the reasons why I like Robert Houdart: He generally stays above the fray.