Computer question..about Norton Security....(sorry off topic

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rightrook

Computer question..about Norton Security....(sorry off topic

Post by rightrook »

Any suggestions will be helpful...thanks.

I recently got a new eMachine...it has Norton on it....now I have to pay about 49 dollars a year to keep Norton working...

Is there anything out there that will work just as well..?

Thanks for your help....So far it has been working fine....with no problems.

regards

Robert
gerold

Re: Computer question..about Norton Security....(sorry off t

Post by gerold »

rightrook wrote:Any suggestions will be helpful...thanks.

I recently got a new eMachine...it has Norton on it....now I have to pay about 49 dollars a year to keep Norton working...

Is there anything out there that will work just as well..?

Thanks for your help....So far it has been working fine....with no problems.

regards

Robert
I quit Norton a couple years ago when computer got virus. Maybe they
are better now.

Now i use AVG free 9.0 along with Threat fire. Both free.
opraus

Post by opraus »

There are several. (eg AVG, Avast, Avira, ...) but I have reason to believe Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good way to go.

I have had No bad experiences or reports.

And after all, they have the most to gain to make it work well. And, it is FREE.
rightrook

Post by rightrook »

OK..thanks very much for your help..

Hi David....I see you are in S. Jersey also...that's where I live...:-)
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

See the previous anti-virus thread.
rightrook

Post by rightrook »

Thanks for all the help...I was able to download and install the Microsoft Security Essentials program...it seems to be working fine...

:)
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

Robert,

A tip from previous (painful experience). Once you have found a good alternative security package of which there are many and want to remove Norton from your PC it is not enough to simply uninstall it the usual way. It will appear to have uninstalled but actually traces of it are left in various places including your registry. Then periodically messages will pop up advising that you PC may be at risk and that you really do need Norton after all. This is designed by Symantec to keep you as a customer, and it works on some people who don't know any better.

There is a specially designed Norton Removal Tool that will get rid of every last trace. It is free and quick to install and run. It's perfectly safe and is endorsed by Norton themselves but they don't publicise it (for obvious reasons). You can download it from:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/N ... 26173.html

Mark
opraus

Post by opraus »

Thank you Mark,

You are right.

Here is the info from Symantec:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_vie ... N&ln=en_US
gerold

Post by gerold »

Mark Mason wrote:Robert,

A tip from previous (painful experience). Once you have found a good alternative security package of which there are many and want to remove Norton from your PC it is not enough to simply uninstall it the usual way. It will appear to have uninstalled but actually traces of it are left in various places including your registry. Then periodically messages will pop up advising that you PC may be at risk and that you really do need Norton after all. This is designed by Symantec to keep you as a customer, and it works on some people who don't know any better.

There is a specially designed Norton Removal Tool that will get rid of every last trace. It is free and quick to install and run. It's perfectly safe and is endorsed by Norton themselves but they don't publicise it (for obvious reasons). You can download it from:

Mark
I have the same trouble with Avast. It quit working after an update.
I removed it. However i can't get some of it off my computer.
It is inactive now but still i don't like having the thing on there.
I try all the things Avast said to remove it including the tool from them but it didn't remove it.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Mark Mason wrote:Robert,

Mark

You guys paint Norton's as villians. I've used security suites and Norton's works well and is greatly improved. Rather than remove Norton's completely he should purchase Norton's Internet Security Suite 2011 and also Norton's Utilites, together and it will keep his computer safe from viruses, worms, trojans, spyware and malware.
The Utilities will keep his registry clean and prevent corruption if used regularly.

Nothing on the market is perfect and people like to attack Norton's but they have made extra effort to give you the best protection there is.
They rate at or near the top by testers everywhere.

Avoid the free stuff unless you really know what you're doing, they don't give complete protection.
Terry McCracken