RE chessbase light

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nimzovik

Re: RE chessbase light

Post by Nimzovik »

KEWL! I'll hit that link when I get some time. Pardon the passe phrase, thanks for the link and idea again.
Yah! Tartakower. One of my favorites. Liked his Bird system games. Interesting read and his wit is indead somewhat wily. Like (paraphrased I am sure) "Any opening is good enough to play -as long as it's reputation is bad enough." :wink: I believe it was this statement that induced me to play Larsen's opening for the rest of my life. He was quick to use the Hypermodern theory as well.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:Sigh. You need to pay attention. I _never_ complained I could not create a new database. Look through the thread. I went straight to complaining about not being able to do anything. :lol:

Peter
Such as?
Well, creating a new database is a big one, using chess engines is another.

How about, instead of me giving a list of things it can't do, you give a list of things it can do. Less reading for anyone browsing this thread. :P

Peter
You are the one complaining you cannot do anything, correcting me that your complaint was not really about creating a database. Now you went back and say this is in fact a big one. As if you needed to see it make a database to evaluate it. So if there is a long list of things you cannot do ("cannot do anything"), you alone know what these disabled essentials are that prevent you from judging whether you are interested in upgrading to premium.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

James Constance wrote:http://freechess.50webs.com/chessbaselight.html

It's a great program! It looks a lot better than SCID, in particular the notation pane, and looks are a major part of an interface that, after all, you look at!
The free SCID is much better than the free ChessBaseLight as with this program you can't
- save,edit and copy games
- create and edit datatabases
and even the CBLight version you have to pay for has not many features that SCID cannot do.
Kurt
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:Sigh. You need to pay attention. I _never_ complained I could not create a new database. Look through the thread. I went straight to complaining about not being able to do anything. :lol:

Peter
Such as?

How about, instead of me giving a list of things it can't do, you give a list of things it can do. Less reading for anyone browsing this thread. :P

Peter
You are the one complaining you cannot do anything, correcting me that your complaint was not really about creating a database. Now you went back and say this is in fact a big one. As if you needed to see it make a database to evaluate it. So if there is a long list of things you cannot do ("cannot do anything"), you alone know what these disabled essentials are that prevent you from judging whether you are interested in upgrading to premium.
No, I was correcting you that someone else was complaining about creating a database. I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Yeah, but the program is useless if I can't do basic stuff with it. I'm not going to pay for it if I can't see what it can do.

Peter
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Peter
Such as?

Peter
No, I was correcting you that someone else was complaining about creating a database. I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Yeah, but the program is useless if I can't do basic stuff with it. I'm not going to pay for it if I can't see what it can do.

Peter
A lot of talk but you only mentioned one thing you couldn't do.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

It's a great program! It looks a lot better than SCID, in particular the notation pane, and looks are a major part of an interface that, after all, you look at!
I looked up the Chessbase page on it, and apparently Chessbase Light 2009 Premium is quite simply the full Chessbase 10 without the database.

Comparison
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Albert Silver wrote:

I looked up the Chessbase page on it, and apparently Chessbase Light 2009 Premium is quite simply the full Chessbase 10 without the database.

Comparison
I have the chessbase light 2009 premium and I am super happy with it!
Jim Logan

Post by Jim Logan »

I believe that Chessbase Light 2009 Premium is the best value product Chessbase offers. That being said, I would never ante up the charge to move to Chessbase 11 as it stands now - although a Chessbase 11 Light Premium sounds mighty fine to me.
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I would be curious to see their sales figures on the discussed products....
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Peter
Such as?

Peter

Peter
A lot of talk but you only mentioned one thing you couldn't do.
If you paid attention, you would notice that I also mentioned being unable to use UCI engines.

Can't create databases
Can't edit games
Can't copy games
Can't save games
Can't use UCI engines
Can't restrict search to high-quality games
No tactics training on Playchess
No Chess960 support on Playchess

And, more, but I'm lazy right now. :P I might post more later.

Your turn. What can it do?

Peter