RE chessbase light

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: RE chessbase light

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:See here from Rybka Forum "Does it at least support 64bit natively? That would certainly dramatically improve database functions, and not having MP support is just incredibly lazy. I still have CB9 and to be honest cannot see the reason to upgrade to CB11. I mean the latest Fritz or Rybka CB GUI seems to have all the database functions I need. I have several copies of Zappa in 64bit that are running 64bit GUI natively (I think was Fritz 9 era) ... I wonder why CB have not built on that? "Reply •Report

"Sadly, no. It runs in 32-bit compatibility mode. It's infuriating to think about when you're waiting for a painfully slow database operation to complete. Lack of serious competition has made them extremely lazy. Don't get me started on the price. Reply •Report"

If the above is accurate ( I can not verify as I do not have the program) then yes it is not surprising that chess base does not make their products backward compatible. It is just poor customer relations. Why spend money on a product with such a quick expiration date? Ergo I am somewhat loathe to purchase the newer model.

I could almost understand it (chessbase database program)not working with other than chessbase engines. However to not work with newer versions of Fritz is reprehensible. the program becomes almost immediately obsolete for those (GM s? ) that want/need their equipment to work with the most recent/ best chess playing programs.

I wonder if I would indeed be better served if I used the free chessbaselight instead of my purchased chessbase 8? How pathetic if this were so.

Hope I am not breaking any charter rules from quoting from another Forum. My Bad if so.
I honestly don't understand what you are talking about. Chessbase 8 dates from what? 2002? The first time I even considered using a 64-bit OS was at the end of 2005 with the arrival of Rybka, the first engine to justify it from a chess-user perspective. Not to mention the lack of hardware. Somehow you find it reprehensible that some antique version cannot run the latest and most modern software. Are you kidding???
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

You are arguing against backward compatibility? Seriously. Even cars are required to have parts for 10 years. CB 8 was not that , in terms of age, long ago. I can not even use Fritz 8 in CB 8. It is a typical mindset not unlike Microsoft (le gasp!!) that everyone must buy new programs and or hardware minimally every two years to line their pockets. Hmmmm..........

That aside.... in terms of 64 bit for the database program I think you may have misunderstood the previous note. The 64 bit discussion was in regard to Chessbase database not using 64 bit as described in the note (for the latest CB program). Not in reference to my personal copy of chessbase 8.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:CB (and Light) is a program designed for searching databases and manipulating chess games and data. Since CB Light is free, why not just DL it and see for yourself?
Once I downloaded and installed it. I removed it 5 minutes later. I was furious to find that I cannot create or modify a database. Then what is it for? I can search a database and enter new games using my pretty old HIARCS 10/Fritz 9 GUI.
What made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free? Was there something in the description? It is for reading and accessing databases, much like Adobe Reader cannot create or edit PDF files.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

I did not present the assertion of "....made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free? ." My query was that I wondered if I would be better served in this present era of using chesbase light instead of the perhaps less featured program of CB 8 for which I actually shelled out real money. This is the actual point. This is my frustration. I am somewhat inclined to suggest that there indeed may be others as well that do not admire the aforementioned ....shall we say 'microsoft trend' (?) -that is to say - to force people to frequently update adnauseum for a hefty price or face the consequence of being relegated to the world of practical obsolescence. Chessbase is to put it analgously -'milking the chessbase customer as a cash flow cow. I simply assert that Chessbase could do far more to assure customer loyalty. Then of course there is the conscionability factor sacrificed for profit. I reiterate: I see no reason why chessbase 8 should not be able to use subsequent Fritz chess programs (other than 64 bit of course as the tech. was not widely available at time of purchase of CB 8. ) Period. That is just my opinion.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

I hope ChessBase do release an update for the antique CB8 to address your needs, which I think are valid and a case in your favor.
At-least the support of the modern day engines would be some relief for old & loyal customers.

Can someone enlighten me if CB9 is facing any of these problems ?

Kind regards

Mithun Jain
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Indeed. Then one could purchase the newer engines without the feeling of being violated. Chessbase would make more money. It would be a win -win scenario I should think.
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: What made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free?
The old CBLight (version 6 or something like that) of several years ago did have full functionality, only the size of the database was limited to 8000 games.
This made me LOL
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:CB (and Light) is a program designed for searching databases and manipulating chess games and data. Since CB Light is free, why not just DL it and see for yourself?
Once I downloaded and installed it. I removed it 5 minutes later. I was furious to find that I cannot create or modify a database. Then what is it for? I can search a database and enter new games using my pretty old HIARCS 10/Fritz 9 GUI.
To use all (important) features of CBLight you must of course buy an activation key. Or have you thought that ChessBase will distribute this program for free?
Kurt
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Was not that the case tho Kurt? Perhaps I do not recall accurately, however I thought that the old CB light allowed something like 98 % percent of the features however it was limited to a small database. It is somewhat difficult to assess a program and then not be able to test the features. Perhaps chess base would be better served if it had a time limited trial mechanism ...say for 2 weeks.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: What made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free?
The old CBLight (version 6 or something like that) of several years ago did have full functionality, only the size of the database was limited to 8000 games.
Aha. So you were assuming this was the same as the version from the 90s. Gotcha.