Naraku Chess 1.12

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote:
alpha123 wrote:
Werner wrote:from his block:

"my name is Marco Meloni, I’m an italian chemical engineer with a lot of passion for chess"
Anyone tried contacting him?

Peter
Marco,

would you be prepared to let a trusted expert examine your source code?
With a glut of clones and derivatives having infested the scene recently, any new very strong engine that appears on the scene comes under immediate suspicion (rightly or wrongly).

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,
for now I think I will not release source code of the engine, in the future i think I will do. However most of the ideas that I implement in the engine I’ve taken in http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/, and of course I’ve studied source codes of some open source engines in the past, but I’ve implemented the ideas all by myself.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
alpha123

Re: Reply

Post by alpha123 »

Graham Banks wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
alpha123 wrote:

"my name is Marco Meloni, I’m an italian chemical engineer with a lot of passion for chess"

Peter
Marco,

With a glut of clones and derivatives having infested the scene recently, any new very strong engine that appears on the scene comes under immediate suspicion (rightly or wrongly).

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham,
for now I think I will not release source code of the engine, in the future i think I will do. However most of the ideas that I implement in the engine I’ve taken in http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/, and of course I’ve studied source codes of some open source engines in the past, but I’ve implemented the ideas all by myself.
Interesting. Kinda sad that we have to do ask this though. :(

I think/hope it's original. I'm going to download it and compare its eval to a few others (Fruit, Crafty, etc).

Peter
Christopher Conkie

Re: Naraku Chess 1.12

Post by Christopher Conkie »

tmokonen wrote: Legit? (I hate the fact that I would even have to ask this)
Fruit 1.5
Michel

Post by Michel »

Naraku won the F division of the TCEC tournament quite convincingly
(2.5 points ahead or something).
Christopher Conkie

Michel wrote:Naraku won the F division of the TCEC tournament quite convincingly
(2.5 points ahead or something).
If it was 1.1 to 1.31 it was in reality Fruit 1.5 that won it.

1.4 is an ippo of some sort. Not sure I can be bothered to find out.

The funniest part in 1.12 is......ahh no......you take a look.....

:)
Christopher Conkie

Depths 6 to 8 are most informative in 1.4.

:)
bob

Post by bob »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Hi Tony,
A good catch I have to admit :D

Naraku is a free strong UCI engine that I realized in my spare time. It uses many of the most diffuse algorithms used in modern chess engines: alpha-beta and null move pruning, bitboard and so on. It is in an early stage of development but already has opening book support and ponder mode. It’s written in C++ and it is extremely fast (about 1-1.5 MNodes/s on a single CPU). In the next weeks i will add multi core support. My goal is to create a very strong free engine, over 3000 elo points, and some other engines derived from it, but a lot weaker, in the range 600-1600 ELO points.

Now what do you think guys :lol: :?:

It looks like the statement early stage of develpment nowadays means a +2700 Elo chess engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
I like the "in the next weeks..." quote. SMP is not a "few weeks" of work. Unless one is copying something, that is...
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Graham Banks wrote:
alpha123 wrote:

Peter
Marco,

Cheers,
Graham.
Why not ask Mr Rajlich to release Rybka 4/4.1 source code , instead of people doing the hard task of decompiling the engines and see what part of Crafty/Fruit etc code was copy pasted and stolen without the authors permission ?
I am sure Prof. Hyatt and Mr Letouzey would appreciate the effort, and whatever author whose engine has been illegally decompiled and code stolen...
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Do you mean this here?
1.039.642<--1:info depth 6
1.039.644<--1:info depth 6
1.039.644<--1:info depth 7
1.039.644<--1:info depth 8
1.039.647<--1:info depth 9
1.039.662<--1:info depth 9
1.039.674<--1:info depth 9

PS just installed Fruit 1.5 and compared output with Naraku 1.12. Looks very similar. One difference are the bitboards inside Naraku.
Do you think in version 1.4 the source was changed from fruit to ippo?
Looks like I will do no further testing with this engine.

best wishes

Werner
bhlangonijr

Post by bhlangonijr »

bob wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Hi Tony,
A good catch I have to admit :D

Naraku is a free strong UCI engine that I realized in my spare time. It uses many of the most diffuse algorithms used in modern chess engines: alpha-beta and null move pruning, bitboard and so on. It is in an early stage of development but already has opening book support and ponder mode. It’s written in C++ and it is extremely fast (about 1-1.5 MNodes/s on a single CPU). In the next weeks i will add multi core support. My goal is to create a very strong free engine, over 3000 elo points, and some other engines derived from it, but a lot weaker, in the range 600-1600 ELO points.

Now what do you think guys :lol: :?:

It looks like the statement early stage of develpment nowadays means a +2700 Elo chess engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:
I like the "in the next weeks..." quote. SMP is not a "few weeks" of work. Unless one is copying something, that is...
I can tell that... I am currently working on the SMP version of my engine. I have already discarded the entire smp code of my previous attempt because it didn't scale well. I started over and hope to come up with something which works this time... :)
Although, if you are implementing something simpler, like shared transposition table, a few weeks is more than enough.

BTW, I hate to bring this question into light, but is there any criterion that makes Rybka acceptable in the community and Naraku not? AFAIK both are claimed to be bitboard derivatives of Fruit. What makes Rybka/Houdini okay to test/use and Naraku not?
I am not trying to create a controversy, but we should not create double standards in this community.

Regards