Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35253
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Graham Banks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Sarah was a founding member of CCRL. All of a sudden, she just disappeared from the computer chess scene. No messages, nothing.
Very strange because she seemed happy at that point.

I really do fear that something bad happened to her.
If anybody knows her personally, and has contact other than through email, it would be nice to hear that she is okay.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

S.Taylor
Posts: 8502
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:25 am
Location: Jerusalem Israel

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by S.Taylor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:25 pm

I thought she was checking in on a rare occasion, and simply became busy in her personal life, and eventually forgot about this project completely. Not a sudden stop.

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35253
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Graham Banks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:36 pm

S.Taylor wrote:I thought she was checking in on a rare occasion, and simply became busy in her personal life, and eventually forgot about this project completely. Not a sudden stop.
I wish that you were right, but I've not seen her checking in anywhere. :(
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Steve B » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I thought she was checking in on a rare occasion, and simply became busy in her personal life, and eventually forgot about this project completely. Not a sudden stop.
I wish that you were right, but I've not seen her checking in anywhere. :(
i seem to recall she mentioned she was having a baby
this was several years ago though...
what made you think of her after all of these years?
Steve

Terry McCracken
Posts: 16464
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Canada

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Terry McCracken » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:I thought she was checking in on a rare occasion, and simply became busy in her personal life, and eventually forgot about this project completely. Not a sudden stop.
I wish that you were right, but I've not seen her checking in anywhere. :(
i seem to recall she mentioned she was having a baby
this was several years ago though...
what made you think of her after all of these years?
Steve
That's true but she continued on for awhile, then suddenly stopped, no e-mails were returned and since I don't know her married name couldn't locate her. She lived in Barrie Ontario not all that far from me.
However, I never met her or knew the family.
Terry McCracken

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35253
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Graham Banks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Steve B wrote: i seem to recall she mentioned she was having a baby
this was several years ago though...
what made you think of her after all of these years?
Steve
Sarah was not only a founding member of CCRL, but also a major contributor. It would be nice to know that she's okay, but to suddenly vanish off the scene by choice without warning would have been very out of character for her.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by gerold » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Graham Banks wrote:Sarah was a founding member of CCRL. All of a sudden, she just disappeared from the computer chess scene. No messages, nothing.
Very strange because she seemed happy at that point.

I really do fear that something bad happened to her.
If anybody knows her personally, and has contact other than through email, it would be nice to hear that she is okay.
Did i read something about her at chessbase. Not sure.
Its been a few years. She must be around 35 now.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I am pretty sure Robert H. would remember her.

zullil
Posts: 6442
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: PA USA
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by zullil » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:09 pm

I thought it was deja vu or something, but this topic has come up before:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 64&t=12728

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 35253
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Graham Banks » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:19 pm

zullil wrote:I thought it was deja vu or something, but this topic has come up before:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 64&t=12728
Yes it has, but I felt it was worth asking again in case anybody knew anything further.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Larry
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Whatever happened to Sarah Bird?

Post by Larry » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:42 am

Graham Banks wrote:
Yes it has, but I felt it was worth asking again in case anybody knew anything further.

Cheers,
Graham.
Hi Graham, I do seem to recall she gave birth for a second time.
To lose interest in something like chess programming, all it takes
is something to preoccupy you, something like a new job, a divorce,
a bankruptcy, or in her case, a birth. Nothing is permanent except
change.
Terry mentioned he does not know her married name. If her name
is Sarah Bird, then her married name is Bird, according to my logic.
She was married before she appeared on the chess scene, I think
you will find.
I remember she was an avid chess program enthusiast. Once she
showed a shot of her computer screen. It was more or less filled
with chess program icons.
regards,
Larry
PS I do get your point that it seems out of character for her not to
respond to a message letting us know all is ok.
Growth is the problem; not the solution

Post Reply