Is ChessGUI really bug-free ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

Re: Is ChessGUI really bug-free ?

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

There is a yet unfixed bug in latest ChessGUI versions concerning the third session of the time control "Game Sessions + Rest". It's in "Rest".

I will wait for 2 days before releasing a fix, so report any other issues hopefully till then.
I will not add any new features for quite some time.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
PawnStormZ

Is ChessGUI really bug-free ?

Post by PawnStormZ »

Hi Matthias.   Thanks for your program! I only recently tried it due to some problems that I was having in Aquarium 3; I could not get Critter .8 to play engine matches without it just "dying" after a few moves.

Happy to say that Critter plays without any problems in ChessGUI.   I had DL v .196 and also had some engines "lose" their configuration. They were in the list of configured engines and then after running some matches, they were shown in the unconfigured list again.

I am using W7 64, with 512M hash for the engines. It seemed like there were also some other gui settings that changed after I set and saved them. I then reconfigured the engines, saved, and exited the program. The settings have not been lost again after a few days and a few more matches.

I have since upgraded to your latest .197c, and have not had any issues after running several matches of over 100 games. I like your program, and thanks for making it available to us!

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

PawnStormZ wrote:
I am using W7 64, with 512M hash for the engines. It seemed like there were also some other gui settings that changed after I set and saved them. I then reconfigured the engines, saved, and exited the program. The settings have not been lost again after a few days and a few more matches.

I have since upgraded to your latest .197c, and have not had any issues after running several matches of over 100 games. I like your program, and thanks for making it available to us!
GUI Options set through the main screen are global and don't apply to any already existing tournament.
GUI Options for each tournament are set through the tournament setup window.

Watch out for ChessGUI 0.197d, as announced.

Regards,
Matthias.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Haven't had any problems losing engines with ChessGUI 0.197c.

I installed Naum 4.2 MP, Spike 1.2 Turin, Daydreamer 1.75, OliThink 5.3.0, Stockfish 1.8 JA, and Critter 0.80 (all 64-bit version where available).

(Just some random engines I like).

Haven't add any problems. Haven't played any games, either. :P

Peter
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

alpha123 wrote:Haven't had any problems losing engines with ChessGUI 0.197c.

I installed Naum 4.2 MP, Spike 1.2 Turin, Daydreamer 1.75, OliThink 5.3.0, Stockfish 1.8 JA, and Critter 0.80 (all 64-bit version where available).

(Just some random engines I like).

Haven't add any problems. Haven't played any games, either. :P

Peter
There was a problem, but it is fixed in 0.197c !

Matthias.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:There is a yet unfixed bug in latest ChessGUI versions concerning the third session of the time control "Game Sessions + Rest". It's in "Rest".

I will wait for 2 days before releasing a fix, so report any other issues hopefully till then.

Matthias.
Another issue has just been reported.
On each first attempt to edit UCI parameters, no parameters appear.
An immediate re-trial then works. That procedure is not intended. I'll fix that in the announced 0.197d.

Since 0.197, there is a new folder CONFIG, so that ChessGUI does not create any file in engine folder anymore.
For engines installed with an earlier ChessGUI, UCI parameters were to be available for editing only after engine has played one game that creates a file in CONFIG folder. Even before editing UCI parameters in 0.197c, the UCI parameters saved with any earlier ChessGUI are available and used as expected.

Matthias.
Matthias
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Matthias,

I have also noticed that UCI parameter issue.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Er, I can't figure out how to modify the engine options, so I can't test it. :P

Peter
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:There is a yet unfixed bug in latest ChessGUI versions concerning the third session of the time control "Game Sessions + Rest". It's in "Rest".

Matthias.
Another issue has just been reported.
On each first attempt to edit UCI parameters, no parameters appear.
An immediate re-trial then works. That procedure is not intended. I'll fix that in the announced 0.197d.

Since 0.197, there is a new folder CONFIG, so that ChessGUI does not create any file in engine folder anymore.
For engines installed with an earlier ChessGUI, UCI parameters were to be available for editing only after engine has played one game that creates a file in CONFIG folder. Even before editing UCI parameters in 0.197c, the UCI parameters saved with any earlier ChessGUI are available and used as expected.

Matthias.
Matthias

ChessGUI 0.197d is out.

For engines installed with an earlier ChessGUI than 0.197d, if UCI parameters are not available for editing, let engine play one game to create a file in CONFIG folder.

Matthias.