Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ralph Stoesser

Re: Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

mcostalba wrote: ...
I expect very small ELO difference (in either direction) if any.

A pity people finds easier to get a nice name then testing his pacthes :-(
What are your test results? Or is it enough for us to know that you don't expect something?
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Ralph Stoesser wrote:

What are your test results? Or is it enough for us to know that you don't expect something?
Ok, I am not native speaker so perhaps I got it wrong, but for me "to expect" it doesn't mean I know for sure or I have tested or I strongly believe it is like this.

For me it is just a guess, nothing more, so could very well be wrong. The only practical consequence of my "guessing" is that _I_ will not test that patch because it doesn't look interesting to me (and I maybe very wrong, but that's my opinion), so I will dedicate my testing time to something else.

I don't know what is enough for you (nor that I particulary care) and what is enough for you, whatever it is, will not change the fact that I "guess" patch will have little impact on ELO (again, I may be very wrong) and so I am not very motivated in testing it. No more no less then just this.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

mcostalba wrote:
Ralph Stoesser wrote:

Ok, I am not native speaker so perhaps I got it wrong, but for me "to expect" it doesn't mean I know for sure or I have tested or I strongly believe it is like this.

For me it is just a guess, nothing more, so could very well be wrong. The only practical consequence of my "guessing" is that _I_ will not test that patch because it doesn't look interesting to me (and I maybe very wrong, but that's my opinion), so I will dedicate my testing time to something else.

I don't know what is enough for you (nor that I particulary care) and what is enough for you, whatever it is, will not change the fact that I "guess" patch will have little impact on ELO (again, I may be very wrong) and so I am not very motivated in testing it. No more no less then just this.
A non-native speaker's English tends to be better than a native speaker's English.... (we warp it a lot) :P

Peter
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
karger wrote:......people are being driven away from talkchess in droves......
Really? Where have they all gone? Most of those I can see posting in other forums also post here.
By the way, I get on well with Chris Formula, so this comment is not supposed to be a further dig at him.
Chris Formula is posting in the clonedyke forum. :)
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

Hi Swaminathan
Are you convinced that the STS is a relieble test? I have my doubts. Is it possible to say much about playing strength if 869 positions out of 1000 are solved using a 10s/move level? Maybe 120 positions of the remaining 131 positions are solved on a 3m/move level. If so, we have 11 (or 1,1 %) unsolved positions out of 1000 ? Or in other words: do you believe that the results of the STS-10s/m would give the same ranking list for the engines if using a thinking time of 3-5 min/move?
Kind regards
Kurt
swami

Post by swami »

Kurt Utzinger wrote:Hi Swaminathan
Are you convinced that the STS is a relieble test? I have my doubts. Is it possible to say much about playing strength if 869 positions out of 1000 are solved using a 10s/move level? Maybe 120 positions of the remaining 131 positions are solved on a 3m/move level. If so, we have 11 (or 1,1 %) unsolved positions out of 1000 ? Or in other words: do you believe that the results of the STS-10s/m would give the same ranking list for the engines if using a thinking time of 3-5 min/move?
Kind regards
Kurt
It's not intended for making the ranking list or ratings of the engines. It is intended to find information on areas that the engine is weaker in.

Many authors of <3000 rated engines found it useful to tune the evaluation function. It has been helpful to them which is what I'm happy about.

Ofcourse, you can say some engines solve some more in 3 minute per position just as they play better when given more time. Improving the performance of the engine so that it could find more and more in less and less time generally improves ELO. Ability to see it faster counts.

You can see the results page here:

http://sites.google.com/site/strategict ... st-results

*most* engine's results closely correlate with their actual ratings.

Best regards,
Swami
Look

Post by Look »

[...]
Many authors of <3000 rated engines found it useful to tune the evaluation function.
[...]
I suppose Richard Vida (author of Critter) uses this suite plus a tactical one for sanity check for changes in his code, which I suspect is one reason of his fine improvements.
swami

Post by swami »

Look wrote:[...]
Many authors of <3000 rated engines found it useful to tune the evaluation function.
[...]
I suppose Richard Vida (author of Critter) uses this suite plus a tactical one for sanity check for changes in his code, which I suspect is one reason of his fine improvements.
Yes, Critter is an awesome engine.

I had tested all the versions in both the games and in STS. The engine made a steady improvement, and consistent progress in each one of the EPD's. :)
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

swami wrote: It's not intended for making the ranking list or ratings of the engines. It is intended to find information on areas that the engine is weaker in.

Many authors of <3000 rated engines found it useful to tune the evaluation function. It has been helpful to them which is what I'm happy about.

[...]

You can see the results page here:

http://sites.google.com/site/strategict ... st-results

*most* engine's results closely correlate with their actual ratings.

Best regards,
Swami
Hi Swami
Good answer and I understand nowthe intention of the STS much better.
Regards
Kurt
swami

Post by swami »

According to Luis Barutti (Who has actively tested Chessmaster personalities, and other engines)

Code: Select all

You can post the results, certainly.

2 Rybka 4 w32 3282 
747 games

3 Tinapa 1.01 1T 3257
223 games

4 Stockfish 1.7.1 JA 1T 3242
437 games

5 Rybka 3 1-cpu 32-bit 3238
298 games

6 Stockfish 1.8 JA 1T 3235
535 games