Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

benstoker

Re: Tinapa 1.01 based on Stockfish

Post by benstoker »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
benstoker wrote:
Some of the comments in SF have periods at the end like so:

Code: Select all

/// EndgameFunctions member definitions.
But other comments are missing the periods, like so:

/// MaterialInfoTable c'tor and d'tor, called once by each thread
I have corrected this and put periods on the end of all comments consistently and if the developers don't accept this patch, I will be releasing my own version also.
Not worth the pain. Such a patch increases playing strength by only 10 Elo points.

I have a LISP program that automates adding periods. No problem.

However, to instead simply make a stupid uci option out of this,

add:

o["TinapaNullMove"] = Option(false);
to ucioption.cpp appropriately, and

change search.cpp at around li 1187 as follows:

// Null move dynamic reduction based on depth
// Original:  R = 3 + (depth >= 5 * OnePly ? depth / 8 : 0);
int R;
if (get_option_value_bool("TinapaNullMove"))
{
  R = 3 + (depth >= 9 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 15 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 21 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 27 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 33 ? 1 : 0) + (depth >= 39 ? 1 : 0);
}
else
{
R = 3 + (depth >= 5 * OnePly ? depth / 8 : 0);
}
LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid »

This is probably the funniest thread I've read on here in a while. :D
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
benstoker wrote:
Some of the comments in SF have periods at the end like so:

/// EndgameFunctions member definitions.
But other comments are missing the periods, like so:

/// MaterialInfoTable c'tor and d'tor, called once by each thread
I have corrected this and put periods on the end of all comments consistently and if the developers don't accept this patch, I will be releasing my own version also.
Not worth the pain. Such a patch increases playing strength by only 10 Elo points.
Very well. In a new revised version, I am including both ground breaking comments, and have reworked this as the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster 1.1.2a
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

You people are sure ready to ridicule Chris Formula for posting a change that may or may not improve SF much. At least he is trying. I am not aware of any of the great contributions to the chess community that any of you have made. One of you contributed to SF , which was based on an already strong engine. This ever present attitude is why people are being driven away from talkchess in droves. I have not made a chess engine or helped make one better, but have enough sense to appreciate the efforts of others. John Karger
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

karger wrote:......people are being driven away from talkchess in droves......
Really? Where have they all gone? Most of those I can see posting in other forums also post here.
By the way, I get on well with Chris Formula, so this comment is not supposed to be a further dig at him.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
Really? Where have they all gone? Most of those I can see posting in other forums also post here.
By the way, I get on well with Chris Formula, so this comment is not supposed to be a further dig at him.
Have i heard that name before. I think he has had a few posts in
the past here.

Best,
Gerold.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

karger wrote:You people are sure ready to ridicule Chris Formula for posting a change that may or may not improve SF much. At least he is trying. I am not aware of any of the great contributions to the chess community that any of you have made. One of you contributed to SF , which was based on an already strong engine. This ever present attitude is why people are being driven away from talkchess in droves. I have not made a chess engine or helped make one better, but have enough sense to appreciate the efforts of others. John Karger
Yes, I feel terrible.

I mean, there were actually more characters in the change of the name than in the code itself.

In any case, no one is belittling his effort, rather poking a bit of fun at the renaming.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gerold wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Have i heard that name before. I think he has had a few posts in
the past here.

Best,
Gerold.
Chris Formula was a member of CCC, but his account was deleted for some reason. He doesn't know when or why.
Hi Graham,

I tried to login at CCC using my account but won't go through. My account seems to be de-activated. I have not logged in my account for months already. I am just wondering how I could get it activated again.

Thanks,
Chris
Hi Graham,

I am using "Chris Formula" as my user name. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Chris
I used that user name to post months ago (see link below). Is there a policy in CCC regarding deactivation of account if not used for certain period of time?

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... is+formula

Regards,
Chris
Although he was invited to sign up again, I don't think that he has, so is not currently a member.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Anil

Post by Anil »

Albert Silver wrote:Very well. In a new revised version, I am including both ground breaking comments, and have reworked this as the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster 1.1.2a
Best of luck for hitchhiking your way across the galaxy of computer chess. Hope you have a guide or at least the Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic :D

- Anil
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:?: hmmmmmmmmmm...................................

why do some people seem "bittersweet" about Tinapa :roll: :roll:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Wow Albert,I'm impressed :D
Cheers,
Dr.D

................. Mu Shin ..........................