Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Taner Altinsoy
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Istanbul

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by Taner Altinsoy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:07 am

mcostalba wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:
mcostalba wrote:we don't foreseen an important gain from 1.7.1, just a small one...
actually iirc the initial word was no gain in 1.7 but big gains after :D

btw, idk if you saw on the other forum but my match is finished, +22 elo for 1.8 :lol: not so far off from where you think the gain is, but i shd just forget hyperbullet eh? :P
Hyperbullet gives a (too) big premium to the fastest version and 1.8 is a bit faster then 1.7.1, but with longer TC this premium greately decreases.
I guess the speed gain is like % 5-7. Am I right?

Taner

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 34663
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by Graham Banks » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:48 am

mcostalba wrote: There are no big new features, mainly code shuffle and cleanups, of course we expect an ELO increase, but this time we are quite confident
it will be smaller then last time ;-)
Early days in my testing, but I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far. Well done to the Stockfish team. Just love watching this engine play. :D

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by mcostalba » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:15 am

Taner Altinsoy wrote: I guess the speed gain is like % 5-7. Am I right?
Correct speed difference can be measured only when there is no functional change bewteen 2 versions of the same engine. Otherwise the searched tree will be different and speed comparisons are no more reliable.

So it is not possible to correctly measure the speed difference bewteen 1.8 vs 1.7.1

Said this, I can also add that knowing the speed increment of each single patch that increased speed without changing functionality I would guess we are about at 4-5% of pure speed increase.

This seems a small value, and acutally is, but I can assure you that to squeeze some extra speed out of a mature engine like 1.7.1 while preserving or even incrementing code readibility it is no easy task ;-)

Martin Thoresen
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by Martin Thoresen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:32 am

Marco,

Is there a SSE 4.2 build somewhere?

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by mcostalba » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:43 am

Martin Thoresen wrote:Marco,

Is there a SSE 4.2 build somewhere?
You mean a build where is used POPCNT hardware instruction ?

No, Jim cannot build with popcnt enabled so I think you have to build it yourself, type 'make help' to see how to do.

P.S: Of course you need a C++ compiler already installed.

Martin Thoresen
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by Martin Thoresen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:04 am

mcostalba wrote: You mean a build where is used POPCNT hardware instruction ?

No, Jim cannot build with popcnt enabled so I think you have to build it yourself, type 'make help' to see how to do.

P.S: Of course you need a C++ compiler already installed.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, Marco. :)

Would love to see one with POPCNT instructions, however compiling is just a tad more complex than what I can do myself.

Maybe Dann Corbit can compile one with these instructions?

zamar
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 am

Re: Stockfish 1.8 JA available

Post by zamar » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:16 am

Martin Thoresen wrote:
mcostalba wrote: You mean a build where is used POPCNT hardware instruction ?

No, Jim cannot build with popcnt enabled so I think you have to build it yourself, type 'make help' to see how to do.

P.S: Of course you need a C++ compiler already installed.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant, Marco. :)

Would love to see one with POPCNT instructions, however compiling is just a tad more complex than what I can do myself.

Maybe Dann Corbit can compile one with these instructions?
Use of POPCNT instructions gives around 4% speed-up. Even then beating Jim's compiles is not an easy task.
Joona Kiiski

User avatar
Eelco de Groot
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Groningen

IPON results after 841 games

Post by Eelco de Groot » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:38 pm

After Germany beat Argentina and heavy rains in our countries Ingo's room is now cooled down enough for continuation of Stockfish gauntlet:
Stockfish 1.8

Stockfish 1.8 JA - Deep Rybka 4 (2945) 36.0 - 49.0 42.35% Perf=2892
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Houdini 1.02 (2933) 35.5 - 48.5 42.26% Perf=2879
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Naum 4.2 (2815) 51.0 - 34.0 60.00% Perf=2885
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Komodo 1.2 JA (2803) 52.5 - 32.5 61.76% Perf=2886
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Deep Shredder 12 UCI 32b (2800) 56.0 - 27.0 67.47% Perf=2926
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Critter 0.70 (2786) 60.5 - 23.5 72.02% Perf=2950
Stockfish 1.8 JA - HIARCS 13.1 MP 32b (2734) 59.5 - 24.5 70.83% Perf=2888
Stockfish 1.8 JA - spark-0.4 (2711) 68.5 - 15.5 81.55% Perf=2969
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Zappa Mexico II (2710) 62.0 - 22.0 73.81% Perf=2889
Stockfish 1.8 JA - Protector 1.3.2 JA (2701) 69.0 - 14.0 83.13% Perf=2978
550.5 - 290.5 65.46% Perf= 2905


841 out of 1000 games played
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan

Ralph Stoesser
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am

Re: IPON results after 841 games

Post by Ralph Stoesser » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm

^^ 1.8 is probably only about +20 ELO, but nevertheless it was a good idea to publish a new version. Bugs were fixed, redundant code was removed (for example queen contact mate detection in eval is gone!), many things were reorganized, the executables are noticable faster now. From what I've seen so far, I'm very happy with the 1.8 release. Good work! Germany vs. Argentina was ok, but most of the time I prefered to look at the 1.8 sources. :lol:

User avatar
Houdini
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: IPON results after 841 games

Post by Houdini » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:11 am

Ralph Stoesser wrote:1.8 is probably only about +20 ELO, but nevertheless it was a good idea to publish a new version. Bugs were fixed, redundant code was removed (for example queen contact mate detection in eval is gone!), many things were reorganized, the executables are noticable faster now. From what I've seen so far, I'm very happy with the 1.8 release. Good work! Germany vs. Argentina was ok, but most of the time I prefered to look at the 1.8 sources. :lol:
A 20 Elo improvement at the top is quite substantial, you guys have some unrealistic expectations. Congrats to the Stockfish team for continuing to improve their great engine!
And Germany was awesome this afternoon, made Argentina look like a very poor team (like England) ;).

Robert

Post Reply