Revolutionizing handheld chess: Glaurung 2 for the iPhone

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

Re: Revolutionizing handheld chess: Glaurung 2 for the iPhon

Post by Tord Romstad »

mhalstern wrote:Tord,

Using my Ipad, searching for glauring or stockfish does not yield any results, for either an ipad or iphone.
That's because the current version requires iOS 4.0 or newer, while the iPad currently only supports iOS 3.2. If I recall correctly, iOS 4.2 for the iPad will be released later this autumn (in November?). This will make it possible to run the iPhone version of Glaurung on the iPad.
Any plans for either a stand alone stockfish for the ipad,
Absolutely, probably very soon after I get an iPad myself. According to the current rumors, it will be available for sale here in Norway in November this year, but it's tempting to wait for the 2nd generation iPad early next year.
or better yet, a remote version that will work with win 7 64 bit, where the moves will be displayed on he ipad screen?
That should work perfectly already now (except that you have to use an iPhone at the moment, of course), if you're able to reach your Windows computer from your device. Unfortunately this is quite difficult to set up if your computer is connected to the Internet via a router, as discussed previously.
mhalstern

Re: Revolutionizing handheld chess: Glaurung 2 for the iPhon

Post by mhalstern »

I haven't looked at the previous discussion regarding remote issues with routers.

If I know the ip of my Cable or DSL Modem (either http://www.whatismyipaddress.com, or http://www.ipchicken.com will report the ip) and the local assigned ip of my pc, (also easily obtained) I can simply set up port forwarding (either tcp, udp or both) on my router to send your packets to my pc. Just use some non-standard port that will not interfere any known popular applications

I don't have a static ip, but it doesn't change much. For users who don't want to have check their ip every day, they can either pay their isp for a static ip, or they can register a domain name, and pay a service to change the domain resolution, as their local ip changes.

I don't see many issues with a remote setup, if a user has a router, and would be happy to write a FAQ if you could get a remote app working.

Thanks