Impact of ICD Policy no links to pirates ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mariaclara

Impact of ICD Policy no links to pirates ?

Post by mariaclara »

Dear Ben Stoker et al,

Perhaps, this has relevance to your question to Graham re: Clarity.
and to cite the other 2 Mods for running away from the people who trusted/voted for
them.

( hmmm.......... what is a softer term than cowardice???)

Please read the quoted post of Sam below.

Is it clear ICD doesn't "dictate" anything to the CCC?
I beleive ICD.

The only thing they want is "no links to illegal software".
( betcha, everyone agrees with that. )

Ok. given that.

What are the "rationale" for Graham's anti Ipp*** pro-Rybka stance?

Is it based on ICD Policy???

Of course , not. It is his own personal belief.

now, what did the other 2 Mods do????

even if they were in the majority , they lost their guts.

resigned or ran away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given that ICD doesn't want links "illegal software".

Means open discussion is allowed.

means there's no need for "hidden forums".

as long as no one posts links to "illegal software"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments/dissenting opinion ?

ICD is not dictating anything - they simply asked for more consistent attention to what has been policy forever here - no links to illegal software. They are continuing to leave decisions about what is and isn't legal to the mods. It is up to the membership as always.

-Sam-

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Albert Silver

Re: Impact of ICD Policy no links to pirates ?

Post by Albert Silver »

mariaclara wrote:Dear Ben Stoker et al,

Perhaps, this has relevance to your question to Graham re: Clarity.
and to cite the other 2 Mods for running away from the people who trusted/voted for
them.

( hmmm.......... what is a softer term than cowardice???)

Please read the quoted post of Sam below.

Is it clear ICD doesn't "dictate" anything to the CCC?
I beleive ICD.

The only thing they want is "no links to illegal software".
( betcha, everyone agrees with that. )

Ok. given that.

What are the "rationale" for Graham's anti Ipp*** pro-Rybka stance?

Is it based on ICD Policy???

Of course , not. It is his own personal belief.

now, what did the other 2 Mods do????

even if they were in the majority , they lost their guts.

resigned or ran away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given that ICD doesn't want links "illegal software".

Means open discussion is allowed.

means there's no need for "hidden forums".

as long as no one posts links to "illegal software"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments/dissenting opinion ?
That about sums it up for me. The most prevalent focus of the posts at the new forum, other than the IPPOs, is about attacking CCC, its mods and members. It is certainly one of the most vitriolic forums I have seen.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Albert Silver wrote:
That about sums it up for me. The most prevalent focus of the posts at the new forum, other than the IPPOs, is about bashing CCC, its mods and members. It is certainly one of the most vitriolic forums I have seen.
to make matters worse..
i have heard rumors that there is an effort afoot amongst some OPEN members to vote for the most "closed minded team "that offers itself into nomination here
by closed minded.. i mean a team that will disallow Ippo linkage and discussion etc etc
the point of this is to "fix " the CCC as the "closed forum " and justify Open's very existence
now i dont know if there is any truth to this or even if there is..how many would actually vote for something they are dead against
i imagine very few would ..after all..it would take a pretty shady person to do something like that
hopefully.. even if this were true(and i dont know if it is) the voter restrictions would be sufficient to squelch any hanky panky nonsense like that

Speculating Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
That about sums it up for me. The most prevalent focus of the posts at the new forum, other than the IPPOs, is about bashing CCC, its mods and members. It is certainly one of the most vitriolic forums I have seen.
to make matters worse..
i have heard rumors that there is an effort afoot amongst some OPEN members to vote for the most "closed minded team "that offers itself into nomination here
by closed minded.. i mean a team that will disallow Ippo linkage and discussion etc etc
the point of this is to "fix " the CCC as the "closed forum " and justify Open's very existence
now i dont know if there is any truth to this or even if there is..how many would actually vote for something they are dead against
i imagine very few would ..after all..it would take a pretty shady person to do something like that
hopefully.. evn if this were true(and i dont know if it is) the voter restrictions would be sufficient to squelch any hanky panky nonsense like that

Speculating Regards
Steve
There is absolutely no reason why any group of moderators should disallow Ippo discussion in CCC now that it's been pointed out that such discussion is not encouraging members to acquire those engines.

In recent times it has only been links to Ippo and co that has been the issue. All three CCC mods interpreted the message from Sam to mean that links were no longer allowed.
However, Sam has now made it clear that it's up to the mods to decide whether engines are questionable or not, and allow or disallow links on that basis.

I don't think it serves any useful purpose to cause further dissension between the members of the two forums.
Most (not all) people on both sides of the Ippo issue are genuine computer chess enthusiasts who believe that they're on the right side.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..
hopefully.. if this were true(and i am not saying it is) the voter restrictions would be sufficient to squelch any hanky panky nonsense like that

Speculating Regards
Steve
It would really say a lot about the character of someone who prescribed this either by plan or agreement.

I wouldn't really concern myself frankly. This is a a forum whose focal theme is computer chess. If I could encourage people whose main interest is to attack others to stay somewhere else, then by all means.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..
hopefully.. if this were true(and i am not saying it is) the voter restrictions would be sufficient to squelch any hanky panky nonsense like that

Speculating Regards
Steve
It would really say a lot about the character of someone who prescribed this either by plan or agreement.

I wouldn't really concern myself frankly. This is a a forum whose focal theme is computer chess. If I could encourage people whose main interest is to attack others to stay somewhere else, then by all means.
I smell the smoke rising from that forum already. Actually, I think it is a wonderful idea. People who want to whack one another over the head are drawn like flies to a cowpie or moths to a flame.

The whole tempest in a teapot is as silly as silly can come. Is there anyone so google illiterate that they would actually be unable to find IPPO* and friends on the net? If not, then the banning of links produces no real harm. If so, will they be smart enough to install and run it?

Anyway, I am glad to see the new forum. I do wish that those who want to be whinging twits would confine their whinging to the new forum. It seems that they can't resist popping their heads back in the door every few hours. Since they have formally founded utopia and since they don't like the atmosphere here, I wonder why they keep coming back.
No, wait... No I don't.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..
hopefully.. evn if this were true(and i dont know if it is) the voter restrictions would be sufficient to squelch any hanky panky nonsense like that

Speculating Regards
Steve
There is absolutely no reason why any group of moderators should disallow Ippo discussion in CCC now that it's been pointed out that such discussion is not encouraging members to acquire those engines.

In recent times it has only been links to Ippo and co that has been the issue. All three CCC mods interpreted the message from Sam to mean that links were no longer allowed.
However, Sam has now made it clear that it's up to the mods to decide whether engines are questionable or not, and allow or disallow links on that basis.

I don't think it serves any useful purpose to cause further dissension between the members of the two forums.
Most (not all) people on both sides of the Ippo issue are genuine computer chess enthusiasts who believe that they're on the right side.

Cheers,
Graham.
You're being sensible but Sam and Quentin never said otherwise. So how did you make that error?
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..

Speculating Regards
Steve

I smell the smoke rising from that forum already. Actually, I think it is a wonderful idea. People who want to whack one another over the head are drawn like flies to a cowpie or moths to a flame.

The whole tempest in a teapot is as silly as silly can come. Is there anyone so google illiterate that they would actually be unable to find IPPO* and friends on the net? If not, then the banning of links produces no real harm. If so, will they be smart enough to install and run it?

Anyway, I am glad to see the new forum. I do wish that those who want to be whinging twits would confine their whinging to the new forum. It seems that they can't resist popping their heads back in the door every few hours. Since they have formally founded utopia and since they don't like the atmosphere here, I wonder why they keep coming back.
No, wait... No I don't.
ill tell you this much fellas
when it comes to chess i bet we could kick their butts to kingdom come
would be no contest
im thinking pawn odds even
we have some of the best correspondence players in the world here
not to mention strong OTB players like Albert
of course as i have no engine's i couldn't actually take part in such a contest but i just thought id toss that out there for the heck of it as i would not actually be needing to back up my own words
:P

Mucking it up a bit regards
Steve
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Steve B wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..

Speculating Regards
Steve

No, wait... No I don't.
ill tell you this much fellas
when it comes to chess i bet we could kick their butts to kingdom come
would be no contest
im thinking pawn odds even
we have some of the best correspondence players in the world here
not to mention strong OTB players like Albert
of course as i have no engine's i couldn't actually take part in such a contest but i just thought id toss that out there for the heck of it as i would not actually be needing to back up my own words
:P

Mucking it up a bit regards
Steve
I'm pretty sure we're better looking too.
:twisted:
Milos

Post by Milos »

Albert Silver wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
to make matters worse..

Speculating Regards
Steve

You two are so funny.
Steve that is actually afraid (and that fear is quite evident from his post ;)) that this might happen since it might actually ruin his plans of becoming caliph instead of caliph, and Albert that is actually exited (almost trilled) about it since his favorite guys might actually win this time. :lol: :lol: :lol: