Human vs Chess engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tsmiller1

Human vs Chess engines

Post by tsmiller1 »

When do you think we'll start seeing people like Anand, Topalov, Carlson, etc. playing Rybka, Stockfish, etc? You'd think they'd want to give themselves a big challenge and see what they can do. Have there been any matches with the big names playing chess computers since Michael Adams got crushed by Hydra?

How many points do you guys think Anand would score in a 24 games match with Deep Rybka 4 running on the best possible PC configuration?
Dann Corbit

Re: Human vs Chess engines

Post by Dann Corbit »

tsmiller1 wrote:When do you think we'll start seeing people like Anand, Topalov, Carlson, etc. playing Rybka, Stockfish, etc? You'd think they'd want to give themselves a big challenge and see what they can do. Have there been any matches with the big names playing chess computers since Michael Adams got crushed by Hydra?

How many points do you guys think Anand would score in a 24 games match with Deep Rybka 4 running on the best possible PC configuration?
The only place where humans have a chance now is correspondence chess.
I guess that Anand would score 9/24 against Rybka on a cluster (but anyone's guess is as good as mine).
I think that the humans will have to adapt and play anticomputer chess if they want to fare well against computers (the really high level GMs don't seem to want to change their game).
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Yes..... interesting. The GM's aren't for the most part playing anti-computer stuff...... Curiouser and curiouser.....
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:
tsmiller1 wrote:When do you think we'll start seeing people like Anand, Topalov, Carlson, etc. playing Rybka, Stockfish, etc? You'd think they'd want to give themselves a big challenge and see what they can do. Have there been any matches with the big names playing chess computers since Michael Adams got crushed by Hydra?

The only place where humans have a chance now is correspondence chess.
I guess that Anand would score 9/24 against Rybka on a cluster (but anyone's guess is as good as mine).
I think that the humans will have to adapt and play anticomputer chess if they want to fare well against computers (the really high level GMs don't seem to want to change their game).
Oh please Dann,don't attract Pablo to this thread,we'll have another boring antichess lecture :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

I think that we shall have to wait rather long for such matches. The top GM's are able to keep up with Rybka, Stockfish etc. by simply trying not to loose, but this would mean that they change their playing style completely with rather negative consequences in coming chess tournaments against human players.
Kurt