July moderator elections - new format

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: July moderator elections - new format

Post by Steve B »

gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Aren't we supposed to be having a poll to see if people want teams 1st? Or is this just being imposed with 0 mandate?
The first post in the thread seems to indicate prety clearly that we're having team elections.
although i am willing to give it a try i will not be voting in the elections if this is imposed. I am sure somewhere Sam posted there would be a poll.
I agree Harvey. No poll no vote.

Best,
Gerold.
P.S.
I like free elections. Teams may work but i am apposed to
teams running.
i dont see how a poll will have any meaning personally
this would put the hands of establishing voting requirements into those would would not even qualify to vote
its a catch 22
changes are high most voting will not be registered for three or even six months and have hardly any posts
this means that those not qualifying to vote would be determining the voting requirements

the best way to change the requirements is this way now
run a thread let the members who care enough post in it and give their opinions
this thread has been running now for almost 4 weeks with many replies and almost 4000 views
during this time we have hammered out the length of term,# of posts need to vote,Team will have an Alternate..etc.etc
and all suggestion by members would can vote and even run
Best
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Steve B wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Aren't we supposed to be having a poll to see if people want teams 1st? Or is this just being imposed with 0 mandate?
The first post in the thread seems to indicate prety clearly that we're having team elections.
although i am willing to give it a try i will not be voting in the elections if this is imposed. I am sure somewhere Sam posted there would be a poll.

Best,
Gerold.
P.S.
teams running.
this would put the hands of establishing voting requirements into those would would not even qualify to vote
its a catch 22
changes are high most voting will not be registered for three or even six months and have hardly any posts
this means that those not qualifying to vote would be determining the voting requirements

this thread has been running now for almost 4 weeks with many replies and almost 4000 views
during thistime we have hammered out the length of term,# of posts need to vote,Team will have an Alternate..etc.etc
Best
Steve
Surely the poll could be run with the same voting criteria as the election.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Best,
Gerold.
P.S.
teams running.
its a catch 22

during thistime we have hammered out the length of term,# of posts need to vote,Team will have an Alternate..etc.etc
Best
Steve
we are trying to determine the criteria
lol
Steve
Harvey Williamson

Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Best,
Gerold.
P.S.
teams running.
its a catch 22

Best
Steve
lol
Steve
the 40 posts and 6 months was not going to be part of the poll just do you want teams or not
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:lol: well afterall, I am proven correct.

I made a post which said, let's just do what we want/think is right without polls and the like.

Then, a mod felt slighted. PM'd me for rudeness and whatever.

Now, take a look at this.

:roll: :wink: :lol: hehehhe
Sam Hull wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Steve B wrote:Anyone know the exact date elections will begin?
we are at July 1
not sure but i think actual elections start 7/07 with 7/15 the date new mods take over?

Scheduling Regards
Steve
I think elections are in the third week of July.
to run from 7-21??
with mods to take over 8/1?
seems odd
but thanks
Steve
Aren't we supposed to be having a poll to see if people want teams 1st? Or is this just being imposed with 0 mandate?
We're giving the team thing a try, Harvey. If you have been following the discussion, one of several reasons we're adjusting the election format is that raw member polls can no longer be trusted to reflect the actual majority feeling of the membership. It would be a little silly in that light to run a poll about changing the way we run polls to prevent poll abuse, if you see what I mean. The feedback I have received for team elections thus far has been overwhelmingly positive.

I encourage everyone to remember that we're simply choosing moderators for a discussion group, not electing a national government. Taxes are not going to go up and membership will remain free. Let's relax and see how it goes. ;-)

I will be accepting and posting candidate team entries and philosophies next week after the 4th-5th of July holiday here in the States - i.e., from 6-10 July. Teams will consist of three primary members and one alternate. Elections will run 11-14 July, and the team receiving more than 50% of the vote will start the new term on the 15th. If no team receives more than half the votes, a runoff between the top two teams will take place 15-18 July with the winner assuming mod duties on the 19th.

Voter criteria will be a minimum of 6 months membership and 40 posts. Moderators may reserve the right to disqualify accounts that try to spam the forum with pseudo-posts for the obvious purpose of running their post count up to the limit.

Thanks,
-Sam-

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Steve B wrote:
gerold wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Best,
Gerold.
P.S.
teams running.
its a catch 22

Best
Steve
lol
Steve
the 40 posts and 6 months was not going to be part of the poll just do you want teams or not
and who votes in that poll?
those with 40 posts and 6 months?
why should those requirements be accepted and not need a separate poll and the team concept needs its own poll?
those requirements were hammered out here in the same way the team vote was

perhaps we should run a poll to determine if 40 posts and 6 months is OK to run a poll to determine if team candidates is OK?

other then you consider that the team concepts is in some way being imposed(which it is not) what could your objection be?

there will probably be 4-5 teams which represents 16-20 members
the only thing for certain is that the teams will be like-minded regarding the ippo link issue and this will cause some peace and harmony here no matter which way the vote turns out
personally i think that some here (not necessarily you) would much rather see the histrionics and in-fighting ..
its a form of reality TV entertainment for them
Steve
Harvey Williamson

Ok just impose the will of the few. For the last few elections there has always been a voting criteria. A simple poll asking do you want teams or are you happy for the few to decide for you is not a big deal.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Ok just impose the will of the few. For the last few elections there has always been a voting criteria. A simple poll asking do you want teams or are you happy for the few to decide for you is not a big deal.
the vast majority of those voting in a poll like that will most likely be members not qualified to vote in the elections
Steve
Harvey Williamson

Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Ok just impose the will of the few. For the last few elections there has always been a voting criteria. A simple poll asking do you want teams or are you happy for the few to decide for you is not a big deal.
the vast majority of those voting in a poll like that will most likely be members not qualified to vote in the elections
Steve
Set up the poll with the same voting criteria as the election so then it will be the same people voting.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

mariaclara wrote::lol: well afterall, I am proven correct.

I made a post which said, let's just do what we want/think is right without polls and the like.
I didn't think up the team concept. I didn't set the specific minimums for voters, and I didn't come up with the excellent suggestions that teams include an alternate and that there be a runoff if necessary to ensure that teams are supported by a majority of the membership. All these things were proposed by members, and have been widely supported by other members. We're not just "doing what I think ought to be done," and making flip comments to that effect isn't exactly courteous. It's not like I get paid to do this job.

The old election format is simpler for me, and if I didn't care to respond to what people here ask for I could just do it like we've always done before and let pseudo accounts take over the board. I'm pretty sure that's not what most genuine members here want to see happen.

-Sam-