I have given ANYONE the Rybka 4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Le Fou numerique

Re: I have given ANYONE the Rybka 4

Post by Le Fou numerique »

SzG wrote:
Andres Valverde wrote:I cannot find any reference to Mr. Schnapp and/or his books at Arena site.

:?: :?:
Hmm, it seems they have been removed. Maybe a little prematurely? I am shocked at the whole case, I have known Harry as a gentleman and simply cannot believe what is said is true.
Hi,

I can not answer for Arena but for my homepage only.

I removed the books at the request of Harry.

It's not impossible that the books will come back online.

Regards,
Patrick
BTO7

Post by BTO7 »

I have a legal question here and im gonna play the devils advocate. If technically R4 was not for sale yet ...meaning NOT commercial ...and it was GIVEN to whom ever FREE by felix...then is it not technically just a free chess program whether beta or a final version from Felix at the time of the release of the pirate? ...technically there was no such thing as a commercial R4 ? Thus no rules broken and really mostly Felix's fault totally right? How is it a illegal upload ..let alone download ...if at the time it was uploaded it was not technically commercial or even released at the home web site ? It was prior to any commercial releasing right?

Regards
BT
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

BTO7 wrote:I have a legal question here and im gonna play the devils advocate. If technically R4 was not for sale yet ...meaning NOT commercial ...and it was GIVEN to whom ever FREE by felix...then is it not technically just a free chess program whether beta or a final version from Felix at the time of the release of the pirate? ...technically there was no such thing as a commercial R4 ? Thus no rules broken and really mostly Felix's fault totally right? How is it a illegal upload ..let alone download ...if at the time it was uploaded it was not technically commercial or even released at the home web site ? It was prior to any commercial releasing right?

Regards
BT
So let's say I am sent a copy of the next Harry Potter novel to proof read. I then upload it so all can download it for free. What do you think would happen?
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

BTO7 wrote:I have a legal question here and im gonna play the devils advocate. If technically R4 was not for sale yet ...meaning NOT commercial ...and it was GIVEN to whom ever FREE by felix...then is it not technically just a free chess program whether beta or a final version from Felix at the time of the release of the pirate? ...technically there was no such thing as a commercial R4 ? Thus no rules broken and really mostly Felix's fault totally right? How is it a illegal upload ..let alone download ...if at the time it was uploaded it was not technically commercial or even released at the home web site ? It was prior to any commercial releasing right?

Regards
BT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Miguel
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

BTO7 wrote:I have a legal question here and im gonna play the devils advocate. If technically R4 was not for sale yet ...meaning NOT commercial ...and it was GIVEN to whom ever FREE by felix...then is it not technically just a free chess program whether beta or a final version from Felix at the time of the release of the pirate?...
I suggest you doing the following: imagine your employer enables you to access some sort of product which is not for sale yet but was going to soon.

Do you really think it is free and you are allowed to give it to someone else? What would you think about someone who complains that he get fired after doing so? In my eyes he is a complete idiot trying to find an cheap excuse for his illegal doing.

YMMV
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
BTO7 wrote:I have a legal question here and im gonna play the devils advocate. If technically R4 was not for sale yet ...meaning NOT commercial ...and it was GIVEN to whom ever FREE by felix...then is it not technically just a free chess program whether beta or a final version from Felix at the time of the release of the pirate?...
I suggest you doing the following: imagine your employer enables you to access some sort of product which is not for sale yet but was going to soon.

Do you really think it is free and you are allowed to give it to someone else? What would you think about someone who complains that he get fired after doing so? In my eyes he is a complete idiot trying to find an cheap excuse for his illegal doing.

YMMV
Yes, just read the story on the leaked 4G iPhone recently.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
BTO7

Post by BTO7 »

Ok thanks ...I wasnt clear on that ...was just a thought that popped into my mind. Appreciate the article and the 4G point out :)

Regards
BT