Intel 50-Core GPU available 2011. Code name: Knights Corner

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zagalo

Intel 50-Core GPU available 2011. Code name: Knights Corner

Post by Zagalo »

ImageIntel Plans 50-core HPC Chip; "Knight's Corner" Will Use 22nm process
- June 1, 2010 9:27 AM

The High Performance Computing market is a small but profitable one. Corporations and research institutions are willing to pay a premium if their research and modeling can be sped up using new technologies.

One of the more recent innovations has been the use of General-Purpose computation on Graphics Processing Units (GPGPU). By using stream processing to harness the incredible parallelism of GPUs, researchers have been able to perform computations faster and cheaper than just using CPUs.

Intel's Larrabee program sought to combine massive parallelism with the programming flexibility of the x86 architecture. Although development of consumer Larrabee graphics cards are on hold, the development of Larrabee technology for the HPC market is ongoing.

Intel plans to launch its first product using this technology as early as the end of 2011. Codenamed Knights Corner, the new chip will use Intel's P1270 22nm process and could scale to more than 50 cores. Knight's Corner will utilize a new Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture, and Intel is expected to develop a product line of MIC-based products that will share common tools, software algorithms, and programming techniques.

The company cites its history of many-core related research programs such as the Larrabee program and Single-chip Cloud Computer as making MIC and Knight's Corner possible. Industry design and development kits codenamed Knight's Ferry are
already shipping to select developers targeting high-performance computing segments such as exploration, scientific research, and financial or climate simulation.

"Intel's Xeon processors, and now our new Intel Many Integrated Core architecture products, will further push the boundaries of science and discovery as Intel accelerates solutions to some of humanity's most challenging problems," said Kirk Skaugen, Vice President and General Manager of Intel's Data Center Group.

"The Intel MIC architecture will extend Intel's leading HPC products and solutions that are already in nearly 82 percent of the world's top supercomputers. Today's investments are indicative of Intel's growing commitment to the global HPC community."

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Plans+50 ... e18564.htm
NATIONAL12

Re: Intel 50-Core GPU available 2011. Code name: Knights Co

Post by NATIONAL12 »

do you work for Intel,as far as i aware GPU's do not help chess engines.please correct me if i am wrong. :)
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Chess engines can be coded to utilise the power of GPUs

Code: Select all

By using stream processing to harness the incredible parallelism of GPUs, researchers have been able to perform computations faster and cheaper than just using CPUs. 
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

NATIONAL12 wrote:do you work for Intel,as far as i aware GPU's do not help chess engines.please correct me if i am wrong. :)
You are wrong.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zach Wegner wrote:
NATIONAL12 wrote:do you work for Intel,as far as i aware GPU's do not help chess engines.please correct me if i am wrong. :)
You are wrong.
We'll see. As you know, someone is giving it a go.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

What do you mean? Who is giving it a go?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Who is ? :) Recently I attended a conference on fluid simulation and GPGPUs which made me very curious as to their use in chess. Some guy wrote a NS solver which outperforms the state of art commercial CPU codes 100X or so.. Some people are just amazing !
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zach Wegner wrote:What do you mean? Who is giving it a go?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33315
bob

Post by bob »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Who is ? :) Recently I attended a conference on fluid simulation and GPGPUs which made me very curious as to their use in chess. Some guy wrote a NS solver which outperforms the state of art commercial CPU codes 100X or so.. Some people are just amazing !
If you are doing matrix operations on large arrays, the benefit can be large. If you are doing something with less "SIMD-type computations" then things become much more difficult. Latency to memory is horrific when you need to do random stores or loads, among other issues. We've had a couple of non-chess projects here, one doing high-performance RAID computations in a GPU (in conjunction with Sandia national lab). You have to find the right application to fit the GPU, not take any application and try to shovel it in.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I have absolutely no idea about GPUs so I would take your word for it. But it would be a lot more interesting if someone tried and failed.
Also it seems progress have already been made on parallel alpha-beta on SIMD machines, from the link Dann provided. http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~sanders/papers/gamet.ps.gz .