Should Chess Be A Summer Olympic Sport?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 40

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... 1292_x.htm

The new chairman of Russia's Olympic Committee says chess deserves a place in the games because of its global popularity.

Not surprisingly, Alexander Zhukov was the head of Russia's chess federation for six years before Thursday's appointment. He also is a longtime Cabinet member whose responsibilities included overseeing preparations for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.

Zhukov says he's aware the International Olympic Committee remains opposed to including chess, but he still plans to make a case for the game.
Myself, I would like to see Chess as a Summer Olympic event; however, this is a double edged sword, what else should be allowed: Shogi, Backgammon, Poker and Monopoly?

Cordially,

Sean
govert

Re: Should Chess Be A Summer Olympic Sport?

Post by govert »

Personally, I'm in favour of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Should be a winter olympic sport. Its an indoor game. The summer is good for going outdoors :)
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

govert wrote:Personally, I'm in favour of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
I favor computer chess boxing. Go tell Tyson he is using a TSCP clone.

Miguel
djbl

Post by djbl »

even though i think chess should be an olympic sport i don't think it will ever be. sports these days are mostly tv driven. the new sports that are included in future olympics have to fulfill certain criteria and how well the coverage will advance that sport is one. i'm not sure that the olympics will make chess appeal to an audience that doesn't already exist. the olympic committee are very greedy, bribe hungry little devils and i just don't think there is enough money in chess to turn their heads. on top of that it is almost impossible to televise in a half interesting way. who wants to watch 2 guys altering their posture, craddling their foreheads or readjusting their ties for 3-4 hours? certainly not the layman. i like chess because it doesn't fit into all that anyway - it is more niche, and that appeals to me. if it did become a new olympic sport it would be joining a club that includes beach volleyball and bmx. so, no bad thing then.
djbl

Post by djbl »

having said that blitz (5mins max) might work ok.
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

If they include Chess as a sport, I think it's only fair to include beer drinking, darts and snooker/pool/billiards as well! ......... oh yes, lets not forget one day cricket as well!
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:?:
What is the Chess Olympiad ?

Is this not enough :?:
Sean Evans wrote:

The new chairman of Russia's Olympic Committee says chess deserves a place in the games because of its global popularity.

Not surprisingly, Alexander Zhukov was the head of Russia's chess federation for six years before Thursday's appointment. He also is a longtime Cabinet member whose responsibilities included overseeing preparations for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.

Zhukov says he's aware the International Olympic Committee remains opposed to including chess, but he still plans to make a case for the game.
Myself, I would like to see Chess as a Summer Olympic event; however, this is a double edged sword, what else should be allowed: Shogi, Backgammon, Poker and Monopoly?

Cordially,

Sean

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Instead of adding sports, we should be subtracting them.

Rythmic Gymnastics? Synchronized swimming?
Personally, I would remove every sport that requires a number on a card (yes, I do realize that this would be the end of Gymnastics period).

Perhaps I am just bitter because Surya Bonaly never got good scores, and she was actually fun to watch (those other ladies were utterly boring in comparison).
;-)
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Ludo.
Snakes and ladders.