is rybka worth the money

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

seemychess

is rybka worth the money

Post by seemychess »

i have played aginst it a few times with 60/15 time contorl on playchess and have beaten it. so is it worth it to buy. i use stockfish 1.7.1.
seemychess

Re: is rybka worth the money

Post by seemychess »

rybka 4 i mean
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry McCracken
seemychess

Post by seemychess »

i feel people have been taken by vas, he must have spent little time on improveing rybka 3 maybe worse than r 3

steve or seemychess
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

seemychess wrote:i have played aginst it a few times with 60/15 time contorl on playchess and have beaten it. so is it worth it to buy. i use stockfish 1.7.1.
So SF 1.7.1 is stronger than Rybka 4?. Some early testing shows Rybka 4 is 65 elo better than SF (and that will increase for sure). Even single core Rybka 4 is better than dual core SF. Rybka 4 FRC is 80+ elo > SF FRC

Rybka 4 is the strongest commercial engine in the world. What is worth buying for you may not be for others, and vice versa :)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

seemychess wrote:i have played aginst it a few times with 60/15 time contorl on playchess and have beaten it. so is it worth it to buy. i use stockfish 1.7.1.
Give me your money. I'll spend it for you seeing as you seem to be incapable of making a decision yourself.
Last edited by Christopher Conkie on Sun May 30, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

In my testing Rybka 4 is stronger then stockfish 1.7.1. I am testing with slower TC games so I only have 150 games for Rybka 4. But this is enough to get an idea were things are going. Rybka 4 seems stronger then Rybka 3.

To answer your question, is Rybka4 worth the money. Yes is you would like a stronger Rybka. I only have it about +25 elo better in my slower game testing with around 150 games.

The answer is no if you are buying Rybka 4 to have the strongest program. Rybka 4 is not close to the top of my rating list. Fire, Ivanhoe etc. are showing to be stronger programs then Rybka 4 at this time.

What I find interesting if the results keep trending this way. The Rybka code has not been improved enough by its creater in this latest version of Rybka, to beat the so called clone programs. This is very strange on many levels if these program are really clones of Rybka.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

if rybka isn't worth the money, no program is...i believe it superior to stockfish because it's simpler (to me). YMMV. the evaluations are smarter, more concrete, its stronger, & it's also quite a bit faster tactically overall which is shockingly (to me) important in computer chess today, even for analysis purposes. even though endgames are hardly a problem for stockfish, rybka does support EGTB which can give you more certainty in small-man endgames. from chessok.com the MP UCI is only 82 dollars, which is as cheap as any major commercial engine to my knowledge. in addition chessok's a great business &, from what i can tell, vas a great guy, even if the events of the past year have been unfortunate for rybka devotees - make no mistake, rybka 4 is NOT 'rybka' -- it is weaker than whatever vas has up his sleeve, but i've come to trust this is out of necessity.

i like to support good people and good business, & the fact that you'll be getting the best chess program out there right now should wrap it up for you if you're the type who has enough of a fixation on the subject to have registered & posted to a computer chess forum. and i have a hunch you are exactly such a person. :)
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

yanquis1972 wrote:if rybka isn't worth the money, no program is...i believe it superior to stockfish because it's simpler (to me). YMMV. the evaluations are smarter, more concrete, its stronger, & it's also quite a bit faster tactically overall which is shockingly (to me) important in computer chess today, even for analysis purposes. even though endgames are hardly a problem for stockfish, rybka does support EGTB which can give you more certainty in small-man endgames. from chessok.com the MP UCI is only 82 dollars, which is as cheap as any major commercial engine to my knowledge. in addition chessok's a great business &, from what i can tell, vas a great guy, even if the events of the past year have been unfortunate for rybka devotees - make no mistake, rybka 4 is NOT 'rybka' -- it is weaker than whatever vas has up his sleeve, but i've come to trust this is out of necessity.

i like to support good people and good business, & the fact that you'll be getting the best chess program out there right now should wrap it up for you if you're the type who has enough of a fixation on the subject to have registered & posted to a computer chess forum. and i have a hunch you are exactly such a person. :)
Even if Stockfish did better on the rating list, I think Rybka is still worth the money to a serious chess player because the evaluation of opening and middle game positions pops out numbers that make more sense to me as a player. At least it was true for Rybka 3, I don't have Rybka 4 yet. Maybe that is not true for everyone, I would guess most masters would agree.

-Sam
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

BubbaTough wrote:
yanquis1972 wrote:if rybka isn't worth the money, no program is...i believe it superior to stockfish because it's simpler (to me). YMMV. the evaluations are smarter, more concrete, its stronger, & it's also quite a bit faster tactically overall which is shockingly (to me) important in computer chess today, even for analysis purposes. even though endgames are hardly a problem for stockfish, rybka does support EGTB which can give you more certainty in small-man endgames. from chessok.com the MP UCI is only 82 dollars, which is as cheap as any major commercial engine to my knowledge. in addition chessok's a great business &, from what i can tell, vas a great guy, even if the events of the past year have been unfortunate for rybka devotees - make no mistake, rybka 4 is NOT 'rybka' -- it is weaker than whatever vas has up his sleeve, but i've come to trust this is out of necessity.

Even if Stockfish did better on the rating list, I think Rybka is still worth the money to a serious chess player because the evaluation of opening and middle game positions pops out numbers that make more sense to me as a player. At least it was true for Rybka 3, I don't have Rybka 4 yet. Maybe that is not true for everyone, I would guess most masters would agree.

-Sam
I didn't get Rybka 3, as I didn't have a good computer when it came out, and i thought i'd rather wait for something a little better, in a few things that Rybka 3 was still lacking.
But now it seems, that the good of Rybka 4 over Rybka 3 is so small, that maybe I should try to get Rybka 3 very cheap, instead of paying the higher price for Rybka 4. (Unless i believe Rybka 5 might be alot better, and quite soon).
Am I wrong?