iPad or iFad ??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

iPad or iFad ??

Post by Sean Evans »

Apple iPad hits Canada amid controversy

Hi, I hope other companies improve upon the iPad. What I would like is a DVD slot at the back of it or at least the ability to plug in an external DVD player and a Windows operating system, so I can put on the software I want not just Apple Apps!

Cordially,

Sean
Nils Magnusson

Re: iPad or iFad ??

Post by Nils Magnusson »

If the iPad is a big seller, you can be sure a myriad of similar form factor devices will follow and most of your wishes would be granted. An internal optical drive would make such a device fairly bulky, so I'm not sure it would be included in a lot of these devices.

Nils
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Sean
Why don't you buy a Tablet PC then?
Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Actually I got an Ipad as a gift a couple of weeks ago and at first I really did not think of it as being useful at all. It was too big to be used as a phone,and it can't be used as a phone (at least not yet). Also it cannot do what a laptop can do, and I wouldn't be able to work on my laptop if I was travelling. Anyway I did travel with it and I actually found it very useful. It picks Wifi very quickly and in the terminal while waiting for your flight, I found it much easier to quickly pull out and browse the web. Also the battery life lasts a very long time and I was also using it on the plane most of the flight. So at least in my case I didn't think much of it in the beginning, but I am definitely taking it on trips from now on. I would still take my laptop but will probably put it in checked luggage.
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Just wait and m$ will clone it as they did clone the Mac OS and called it windows!

One if the biggest selling points of Apple products is the Name! Would you want and iPad or the dull (tablet PC)!

iPhone, iPod, iPad.. The name sells good!
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Zagalo wrote:Just wait and m$ will clone it as they did clone the Mac OS and called it windows!

One if the biggest selling points of Apple products is the Name! Would you want and iPad or the dull (tablet PC)!

iPhone, iPod, iPad.. The name sells good!
My only problem with the Ipad is that you can only get software from the Apple App store.

If it was less proprietary I might consider it!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

That is true ... but the amount of software available is mind boggling. I still think that this first generation Ipad is just to get people interested in the idea. Most likely a new version will be better. For example I think it would be a great idea to have a blue tooth ear piece that would fit nicely in the package that doubles as phone and as a wi fi communication device. Also a nice double camera setup for audio video communication would be neat. Remember this is a first generation device and if the iPhone is a good example, things will improve. When I first tried the original iPhone a few years back, I thought it was crap. Now I have the 3Gs and I don't know how I could live without it.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Article

Some analysts highlight concerns that Apple, which contracts out the production of the device and depends on numerous parts suppliers, may have trouble satisfying the surge in demand, driving buyers elsewhere. Dell's Streak tablet computer will go on sale next month in Britain. Sony Corp and Hewlett-Packard also have tablets in the works.
It does not look like we will have long to wait for other companies to re-engineer the iPad with better versions. It won't be difficult, the iPad has many weaknesses including price and lack of functionality with third-party software.

These future iPads could essentially take over the majority of market share for computers. No need for large bulky home computers or laptops. If you need an external keyboard just plug one in or use the keyboard on the iPad screen :shock:

The only two companies out their right now that I see are being creative are Apple and Google, the rest of the companies just copy their ideas !

Cordially,

Sean