Lieden 2010

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

David Dahlem

Lieden 2010

Post by David Dahlem »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: Lieden 2010

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Leiden not Lieden :-P

This is one of the best fields in a live tournament I have seen in years: Sjeng cluster, Rybka cluster, Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs, Komodo, The King, Spark etc... All in full tournament trim!

I heard a rumor even the Hydra guys are attending.
David Dahlem

Re: Lieden 2010

Post by David Dahlem »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Leiden not Lieden :-P
Thanks for the correction. I DO know how to spell Leiden, i just made a typo! :P
IanO

Re: Leiden 2010

Post by IanO »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:This is one of the best fields in a live tournament I have seen in years: Sjeng cluster, Rybka cluster, Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs, Komodo, The King, Spark etc... All in full tournament trim!

I heard a rumor even the Hydra guys are attending.
This may end up being a stronger field than the WCCC.

Too bad the Stockfish team aren't competing. What kind of incentives would it take for them to come to a tournament?
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

IanO wrote: Too bad the Stockfish team aren't competing. What kind of incentives would it take for them to come to a tournament?
Clones are not allowed ;)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Zagalo wrote:
IanO wrote: Too bad the Stockfish team aren't competing. What kind of incentives would it take for them to come to a tournament?
They should enter to prove the point.

Chris
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

They are as long as the original author(s) allows it:
* The source code of the program may not contain recognizable parts from published programs, unless the creators are in the team.
Stockfish can enter as long as Tord concurs with the entry.
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Stopping the idiocy...but admittely it is an impossible goal, as you can guess reading this thread.

I don't want to spend my free time dealing with idiots, I have already enough of them at work, but at least there I'm paid to listen bullsh*
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Zagalo wrote:
Of course we would be allowed to participate. I even received a personal invitation to the Leiden tournament this year.

I've been to several tournaments in the past, and it's possible that I'll do it again some time in the future. It doesn't really take any kind of incentives at all: Live computer chess tournaments are fun and a great way to meet new friends, and unlike computer chess message boards like this one, the atmosphere is actually friendly and pleasant. I'll go whenever I can. As always, it's mainly a question of time. With many hobbies and activities competing about my time, it is difficult to dedicate an entire weekend to computer chess.

At any rate, I support live computer chess tournaments like the one in Leiden. I hope they'll survive. Online tournaments like the CCT are extremely dull, and it would be very sad if they are the future.
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Tord Romstad wrote: Of course we would be allowed to participate. I even received a personal invitation to the Leiden tournament this year.
I didn't know you are really still an official member of SF development team. What I know is that SF is a clone of Glaurung. Then you joined the team of cloners and dumped your own engine! which is a very polite? and very respectful thing to do. But as I read, you weren't involved with the latest SF improvments, so I thought you left.
If I were the cloners I would show even more respect for you (as they have already shown) and would give SF its REAL name back, Glaurung! So I do suggest to rename it to something like Glaurung 3 or Xtreme etc. :) , I think SF name is a bit silly !

I've always loved the spectacular king attacking style of Glaurung and wish you could bring it back :D