Daydreamer Questions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

alpha123

Daydreamer Questions

Post by alpha123 »

So Aaron Becker, thanks for this great engine, but I had a few questions.

1) It appears that it can read .ctg books? Is this true, as that would be quite impressive.

2) Does it support multiple processors? It said in the Daydreamer 1.75 topic that pthreads.dll is no longer required under Windows, and I would think that that is used for threading (hence the name).

Thanks,
Peter
Aaron Becker

Re: Daydreamer Questions

Post by Aaron Becker »

alpha123 wrote:So Aaron Becker, thanks for this great engine, but I had a few questions.

1) It appears that it can read .ctg books? Is this true, as that would be quite impressive.

2) Does it support multiple processors? It said in the Daydreamer 1.75 topic that pthreads.dll is no longer required under Windows, and I would think that that is used for threading (hence the name).

Thanks,
Peter
Thanks! Daydreamer does support .ctg books. Just set the .ctg file as the internal book (using the "Book file" uci option) and turn on the internal book (the "OwnBook" uci option) and it will use the book. A lot of credit for this feature belongs to Stephen Vermeire, the author of Brutus. He implemented this feature in Brutus, and I figured out much of the .ctg format by using his engine (and it's quite a complicated format). If you find any problems with Daydreamer's .ctg support or have any suggestions for improving it, please let me know.

Daydreamer doesn't support multiple processors yet. That's a feature I have planned for 2.0, but I think it will be autumn before that release is ready. The existing threading code is used to load tablebase positions from disk in a separate thread while the main search thread continues searching, but there's no proper SMP search at all.
alpha123

Re: Daydreamer Questions

Post by alpha123 »

Aaron Becker wrote:
alpha123 wrote:So Aaron Becker, thanks for this great engine, but I had a few questions.

Thanks,
Peter
Thanks! Daydreamer does support .ctg books. Just set the .ctg file as the internal book (using the "Book file" uci option) and turn on the internal book (the "OwnBook" uci option) and it will use the book. A lot of credit for this feature belongs to Stephen Vermeire, the author of Brutus. He implemented this feature in Brutus, and I figured out much of the .ctg format by using his engine (and it's quite a complicated format). If you find any problems with Daydreamer's .ctg support or have any suggestions for improving it, please let me know.

Daydreamer doesn't support multiple processors yet. That's a feature I have planned for 2.0, but I think it will be autumn before that release is ready. The existing threading code is used to load tablebase positions from disk in a separate thread while the main search thread continues searching, but there's no proper SMP search at all.
Cool! I'll have to try that. Could be quite useful.

Okay, thanks. Good luck with implementing SMP. I'll be eagerly awaiting autumn....

Thanks for the quick answer.

Peter