Naum 4.2 !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jpqy

Naum 4.2 !

Post by jpqy »

Naum 4.2 +50Elo !!

http://naumchess.brinkster.net/

JP.
Alexander Schmidt

Re: Naum 4.2 !

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

jpqy wrote:Naum 4.2 +50Elo !!

JP.
And +25€

I usually don't buy every version of an engine. I purchased Naum 4 only because Alex said it is probably the last one. And if there would be an update it would be for free.

Now I would have to pay 25€ for an update from 4.1 to 4.2.

I'll drop this one...
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
jpqy wrote:Naum 4.2 +50Elo !!

JP.
And +25€

I usually don't buy every version of an engine. I purchased Naum 4 only because Alex said it is probably the last one. And if there would be an update it would be for free.

Now I would have to pay 25€ for an update from 4.1 to 4.2.

I'll drop this one...

Only 25€ for +50 elo !!!

Most programs offers less gain per euro.
i've paid 36€ for Deep Junior 11.1 and it's only 10-15 Elo stronger than Deep Junior 2010.

But they have at least a 'no-clone certificate' :lol:

Best
Johan
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

well, paying 36 euros for a 15 elo increase & nothing else to offer is silly imo. note that he says 50 elo over naum 4. naum 4.1 is already +~25 elo over naum 4 last i heard. so if his estimate is correct it's a dollar per elo for original naum 4 customers. imo, a ripoff, compared to what new customers purchase it for. if the increase is 50 elo over naum 4.1 i understand the decision.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Also from the website:
Customers who bought Naum after the 4.1 upgrade will receive the 4.2 version for free.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

yanquis1972 wrote:well, paying 36 euros for a 15 elo increase & nothing else to offer is silly imo. note that he says 50 elo over naum 4. naum 4.1 is already +~25 elo over naum 4 last i heard. so if his estimate is correct it's a dollar per elo for original naum 4 customers. imo, a ripoff, compared to what new customers purchase it for. if the increase is 50 elo over naum 4.1 i understand the decision.
I think that exactly is the case. i remember Alex once saying if he can boost more than 50 elo from Naum 4.2 it will not be a free update for naum 4 customers.... However customers who bought Naum 4.1<will get 4.2 version for free.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Howard E

Post by Howard E »

From this site ...

http://www.hiarcs.com/pc-chess-deep-junior.htm

"Please note we understand ICC customers of Deep Junior 2010 can expect a Deep Junior 2010.1 update from ICC to bring them up to the same engine strength as Deep Junior 11.1. The new Junior 11 ctg chess openings book by GM Alon Greenfeld is exclusive to purchasers of Deep Junior 11.1 from www.hiarcs.com "
naum

Post by naum »

Hi,

After finishing my 64-bit improvements test results indicated bigger gain then what I expected from just a speed increase (probably result of changed move ordering).
I don't think it's a rip-off. Hopefully tests by CEGT/CCRL will prove me right.

I have to admit I feel a bit guilty since I didn't work very hard on this version, but I found out from 4.1 that sending an update to hundreds of customers is a lot of work and this will pay for my time and narrow the update base only to people who are still interested in the engine.

Next thing I plan to try are some of the Robbo ideas, so there may be another free update (or new pay version if ELO increase is big).

Regards,
Alex
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

naum wrote:Hi,

After finishing my 64-bit improvements test results indicated bigger gain then what I expected from just a speed increase (probably result of changed move ordering).
I don't think it's a rip-off. Hopefully tests by CEGT/CCRL will prove me right.

I have to admit I feel a bit guilty since I didn't work very hard on this version, but I found out from 4.1 that sending an update to hundreds of customers is a lot of work and this will pay for my time and narrow the update base only to people who are still interested in the engine.

Next thing I plan to try are some of the Robbo ideas, so there may be another free update (or new pay version if ELO increase is big).

Regards,
Alex
Please, keep up the good work. We need the competition.