Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Andersson

Re: Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Post by Dan Andersson »

Exotic cooling is fun. Liquid Nitrogen seems like overkill and expensive unless you aim much higher than 4.5 GHz or use 'olden' CPUs :)
Good fortune anyway!

MvH Dan Andersson
parrish

Post by parrish »

The new iPad will run at 1Ghz. Start converting your checkers program to be an app to run on the iPad. ;-)
Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

I've a P3 800, it should be the nearest answer so far ;)

Alex
Dan Andersson

Re: Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III? Make o PIII?

Post by Dan Andersson »

There are four versions of the desktop PIII. Three that hit 1 GHz. Two distict designs of the CPU. So the question is The Coppermine(-T) or the Tualatin?

MvH Dan Andersson
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

Dan Andersson wrote:Exotic cooling is fun. Liquid Nitrogen seems like overkill and expensive unless you aim much higher than 4.5 GHz or use 'olden' CPUs :)
Good fortune anyway!

MvH Dan Andersson
The Liquid Nitrogen overclocking exceeded a peak of 6.7 GHz for a while. It was just a way to "see if it could be done." And, actually, it's only 51 cents a gallon, or about 10 cents per pound, relatively cheap. It is more expensive to design an automatic controller to select from a bank of canisters and throttle the LN2 consistently and deliver sustained performance at the same CPU speed +/- 100 MHz than it would be to run a computer 24x7 for a month.

The 4.5 GHz model shown was just an external radiator system with some less-than-exotic coolant inside (plus some stuff that kills algae and bacteria of all shapes and sizes) that pulled the heat off of the CPU as it would otherwise hit about 95 degrees C running at that speed. I'm working on a Peltier cooling solution, no moving parts, that could hypothetically achieve the same thing.

Both of these systems will run at 4.5 GHz all day long. With the Intel core i7-920 architecture, this is significantly faster than anything that might be available through 2014.

Re: Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III? Make o PIII?

Dan Andersson wrote:There are four versions of the desktop PIII. Three that hit 1 GHz. Two distict designs of the CPU. So the question is The Coppermine(-T) or the Tualatin?

MvH Dan Andersson
What do the Fritz people say when you ask them the same question?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

M ANSARI wrote: ... maybe I can find a 1 Mhz system on eBay 8-)
A don't remember any 1 MHz computers, although there must have been some. A PDP8 maybe?

My first computer was a TRS-80, and even that was, I think, 2.77 MHz. It still beat me at chess, though.

He meant 1 GHz
Teemu Pudas

Post by Teemu Pudas »

How would that help him win (or draw) compared to 450 MHz??
Hood

Post by Hood »

Andre van Ark wrote:Majid,

Even chessgenius 3 on a 386 16 mhz is way too strong for 99,9% or the humans :roll:

Best wishes,

André

Chessgenius 3.0 on I486 was rated about 2300-2400 on SSDF 1994 .
So there are for sure more people who can compete with.

rgds
chris
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.