Congratulations to the new moderators

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Congratulations to the new moderators

Post by Christopher Conkie »

markboylan wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
markboylan wrote:The only things I can I can think of that the authors might have had in mind are threats of violence or terrorism, libel, slander or defamation. Otherwise, I'd say yes, point 5 is pretty much meaningless.
If it is about terrorism, it would be the first chess forum I have seen that had such a rule. I doubt that quoting a post while having dynamite strapped around you is going to be noticed much by the members.
Certainly. But, it's likely that the authors were leaving themselves the opportunity to moderate posts of any unforeseen questionable legal status rather than limiting themselves to a well-defined list. That's what I would have done.
Well if one cannot define what is may be illegal and is therefore questionable, then there is no point in having a Charter at all.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
meschle wrote: Maybe we should have a referendum on whether robbo/ippo etc.. links should be allowed in the forum - same voting restrictions as the moderation election.
My fellow mods are quite happy allowing links, so unless they have a change of heart, they'll remain.

Cheers,
Graham.
Until Vasik mans up and prove his source code to be stolen,which I strongly doubt,there is no need to delete links....so your fellow moderators are doing just fine :D
Dr.D
5. Are not of questionable legal status.
Indeed Christopher,nobody says that their status is not questionable but the same goes for Vasik's statements and accusations....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
markboylan

Post by markboylan »

Christopher Conkie wrote:there is no point in having a Charter at all.
That might not be as bad as it sounds. After all, this is an internet forum for people who share a common interest. The need for a constitutional government is questionable itself. The success of the forum is entirely dependent on the satisfaction of its members, with or without a charter. That doesn't really require anything except reasonable moderation.
There's a fine line between a post and a signature.
Edward German

Post by Edward German »

My congratulations and good luck, the new moderators Graham Banks, Swaminathan and Matthias Gemuh.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

markboylan wrote:
markboylan wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:What would constitute a post with illegal status?
I didn't claim that it made any sense, only that it's worded that way.
So really it means nothing?

Everything is legal....right?

If you don't know/or cannot decide what is questionable, everything must be unquestionable....right?

Means anyone could do anything. Talk about rigged votes etc.....no?
The only things I can I can think of that the authors might have had in mind are threats of violence or terrorism, libel, slander or defamation. Otherwise, I'd say yes, point 5 is pretty much meaningless.
If it is about terrorism, it would be the first chess forum I have seen that had such a rule. I doubt that quoting a post while having dynamite strapped around you is going to be noticed much by the members.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Christopher Conkie

markboylan wrote:
That might not be as bad as it sounds. After all, this is an internet forum for people who share a common interest. The need for a constitutional government is questionable itself. The success of the forum is entirely dependent on the satisfaction of its members, with or without a charter. That doesn't really require anything except reasonable moderation.
In the next six months you are going to learn exactly what unreasonable means in here.

The fact that you can bastardise what should be a free election and get people in who will only allow their own agenda is disturbing. I wonder how many more times there will be a Afghanistan/Zimbabwe type election in here before they shut the place down.

You can see how satisfied the members are by the fact that most of the ones that matter have left the place.

Not to worry. The poll records in the database who voted and in what way.

It's easy to get that examined. Then again, people could do what they did. Sign up lots of accounts in advance. make a few silly posts and then vote with them all in the next election.
markboylan

Post by markboylan »

markboylan wrote:
In the next six months you are going to learn exactly what unreasonable means in here.

The fact that you can bastardise what should be a free election and get people in who will only allow their own agenda is disturbing. I wonder how many more times there will be a Afghanistan/Zimbabwe type election in here before they shut the place down.

You can see how satisfied the members are by the fact that most of the ones that matter have left the place.

It's easy to get that examined. Then again, people could do what they did. Sign up lots of accounts in advance. make a few silly posts and then vote with them all in the next election.
I'm not prepared to ague on any of those points. You certainly know more about the computer chess community than I do. But, I don't think point 5 should be your argument.
There's a fine line between a post and a signature.
Christopher Conkie

markboylan wrote:
markboylan wrote:

I'm not prepared to ague on any of those points. You certainly know more about the computer chess community than I do. But, I don't think point 5 should be your argument.
That is questionable.

;-)
meschle

Post by meschle »

mariaclara wrote:
meschle wrote:
Maybe we should have a referendum on whether robbo/ippo etc.. links should be allowed in the forum - same voting restrictions as the moderation election.
Maybe these links can help clarify the situation.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30772

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30665
Hi clare - a new poll though with same voting restrictions as the moderation election may give a fairer result.

As harvey states i think it is worth listening to larry kaufman on this matter - i think this sheds new light on the whole issue.

It is a shame that such a great forum has been blighted with all this stuff - chess is great fun lets keep it that way :)
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

michiguel wrote:Whoever they are :-)

I see that the polls closed, with 197 votes. (!)

Just to be the first to congratulate.

Miguel
It is obvious to me that the elections are faked. There are at least 25% more
votes than in all elections before, despite being much less members than in
the past. Time to leave that place.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...