linux compile segfaults for IvanHoe ...73

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

benstoker

linux compile segfaults for IvanHoe ...73

Post by benstoker »

The ippoliterate mad hatters' IvanHoe...73 version compiles on Ubuntu 9.10, but immediately segfaults upon execution. The gdb spittle is below. Anybody but me having problems compiling this spaghetti code on Linux? Something to do with posix_memalign? Inquiries made on the mad hatters' incomprehensible website yielded the following comment:
This is a problem with Ubuntu or rather the C libraries. The newgame routine does
POSITION->DYN = POSITION->DYN_ROOT;
but then 1 is subtracted from it later in the immediate evaluation from the bitboards. The stack should underflow, but some Linux have alternative memory management to prevent it from crashing.
And here's what gdb gives me:

Code: Select all

Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
IvanHoe-Beta verzione 999973-Beta
compiled with PREFETCH
Capitalist multicore mode compiled

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
Eval &#40;POSITION=0xa2d460, min=-2147418112, max=2147418112, move=<value optimized out>) at evaluation.c&#58;677
677 positional = &#40;POSITION->DYN - 1&#41;->positional_valu;

&#40;gdb&#41; p POSITION->DYN$1 = &#40;typeDYNAMIC *) 0x7ffff7fd7010

&#40;gdb&#41; p POSITION->DYN_ROOT
$2 = &#40;typeDYNAMIC *) 0x7ffff7fd7010

&#40;gdb&#41; bt
#0 Eval &#40;POSITION=0xa2d460, min=-2147418112, max=2147418112, move=<value optimized out>) at evaluation.c&#58;677
#1 0x0000000000405f1c in InitBitboards &#40;POSITION=0xa2d460&#41; at utility.c&#58;154
#2 0x000000000040655e in NewGame &#40;POSITION=0xa2d460, full=1 '\001') at utility.c&#58;308
#3 0x0000000000401e97 in main () at main.c&#58;98

&#40;gdb&#41; info threads
1 Thread 0x7ffff7fca6f0 &#40;LWP 31977&#41; Eval &#40;POSITION=0xa2d460, min=-2147418112, max=2147418112, move=<value optimized out>)
at evaluation.c&#58;677

&#40;gdb&#41;

royb

Re: linux compile segfaults for IvanHoe ...73

Post by royb »

It seemed to compile fine on my Ubuntu 9.10 x64 system and runs without problems (not that I run it much but when I do analyze positions with it things seem OK). I analyze under SCID if that makes a difference...

Roy
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Well, the ippoliterati responded with a fix!

This is for IvanHoe v73. In utility.c, add the the 1 to the following line. The original is commented out:

Code: Select all

LINE 282&#58;  POSITION->DYN = POSITION->DYN_ROOT + 1;
LINE 283&#58;//  POSITION->DYN = POSITION->DYN_ROOT;
I run Ubuntu 9.10 x64 also and am not C literate enough to ever fathom why my system would behave different from yours. But, the above fix worked.

Why don't those guys just put the code up on sourceforge or git or something and cut the bullshit? It's maybe funny for one day, but you can't keep telling the same joke over and over and expect people to keep laughing.

It would be good if the Rybka owner would take a public position on the matter; however, from a practical standpoint, he may be playing his cards right. That is, plant a suggestion that the code is a clone, then go silent and let the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt inhibit chess engine programmers' willingness to use it and improve it.
djbl

Post by djbl »

so hey, those guys you are calling illiterate etc, you mean those guys that YOU sought out, whose site YOU freely choose to visit, they have been nice enough to give you a free engine, complete with source code AND they gave you a fix for YOUR problem on THEIR time, and yet you still cant bring yourself to be grateful. ask yourself what was the last thing you gave away to them for free, including time and advice. and those of us with any sense at all have long since realised the lang on the ipp sight is meant to be funny, but if you need that pointing out i guess you just wont find it funny anyway.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

djbl wrote:so hey, those guys you are calling illiterate etc, you mean those guys that YOU sought out, whose site YOU freely choose to visit, they have been nice enough to give you a free engine, complete with source code AND they gave you a fix for YOUR problem on THEIR time, and yet you still cant bring yourself to be grateful. ask yourself what was the last thing you gave away to them for free, including time and advice. and those of us with any sense at all have long since realised the lang on the ipp sight is meant to be funny, but if you need that pointing out i guess you just wont find it funny anyway.
No! stork alights!. Furthermore (so too): Sidestep Russia cold spell! For the why?: With the confusion in the people. Before I had were more doubting, but when a power is so vast now in computerchess. The crux is the always. Ergo with the this, the selfsame me obliges more the time for the cohereings upon the translations. Yet: buys the imperfectioning in the this. In the first for the essaywritings upon the general. Chessthought not comparative with normal. Need is with superstructure in cranium. Now: Surveillance confirmates. The superior capacity with the chess is the ignored.

night Good

UC

Opherkris
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

djbl wrote:so hey, those guys you are calling illiterate etc, you mean those guys that YOU sought out, whose site YOU freely choose to visit, they have been nice enough to give you a free engine, complete with source code AND they gave you a fix for YOUR problem on THEIR time, and yet you still cant bring yourself to be grateful. ask yourself what was the last thing you gave away to them for free, including time and advice. and those of us with any sense at all have long since realised the lang on the ipp sight is meant to be funny, but if you need that pointing out i guess you just wont find it funny anyway.
Ease up cowdog! Before born babe bliss. I stand corrected. I realize now that the ippoliterati learned their idioglossia English from reading Joyce's Finnegans Wake. Their idiosyncratic language, consisting of multilingual puns and portmanteau words, is simply an attempt to recreate the experience of sleep and dreams, expansive linguistic experiments, stream of consciousness writing style, literary/historical allusions, free dream associations, ...

... and of course, spaghetti chess engine programming code.

Compare Ippospeak to Joyce: "Whence it is a slopperish matter, given the wet and low visibility [...] to idendifine the individuone ..." [sp]

and

"riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs."

or

"Thus the unfacts, did we possess them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude..." [sp]
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

benstoker wrote:
Ease up cowdog! [sp]

This type of language may not be possible here after the next 40 hours.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Christopher Conkie

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
benstoker wrote:
Ease up cowdog! [sp]

This type of language may not be possible here after the next 40 hours.

Matthias.
Decree not the fault! The essayings buys much the needfuls for the good English.

O hell

Opherkris
djbl

Post by djbl »

well, not to the forcing of their site is it, ergo, to the use thereof is it not? and to the why, is it to the selfsame that is not? much grumblings and illeratinces. for the why, is it too much that free is given, is away for nought too much with the selfsame not enough? hm, answer me then
Christopher Conkie

djbl wrote:well, not to the forcing of their site is it, ergo, to the use thereof is it not? and to the why, is it to the selfsame that is not? much grumblings and illeratinces. for the why, is it too much that free is given, is away for nought too much with the selfsame not enough? hm, answer me then
Loud bray for January Revolution.

Batters the multicores. Personal opinion: normality too like them so.

Are you how?

Opherkris