Komodo - Rybka in Danger?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Komodo - Rybka in Danger?

Post by Damir »

A new Chess engine by Larry K & Don Dailey is on its way ( this engine is a much improved version of Doch which will soon support MP, and not be free, but single version is....)
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Komodo - Rybka in Danger?

Post by Damir »

M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

A breath of fresh air after all the clone invasions.
Don

Post by Don »

M ANSARI wrote:A breath of fresh air after all the clone invasions.
Komodo 1.0 is a much improved Doch and represent a name change of course. But it's the same program underneath the hood.

Almost all the improvement are very minor in nature, but it adds up to quite a bit. The only substantial "breakthrough" is in much improved move ordering which appears to have a positive affect on LMR more than it does on raw speed.

Both Larry and I are very excited about this version.
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

I'm looking forward to taking a new exciting legit engine for a spin.
In your tests, what's the ELO increase vs. Doch?
Another question: do you explicitly try 'give it a playing style' or is it more about tuning eval/search, and whatever gets the highest elo you're happy with?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Indeed :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
meschle

Post by meschle »

Don wrote:
Komodo 1.0 is a much improved Doch and represent a name change of course. But it's the same program underneath the hood.

Almost all the improvement are very minor in nature, but it adds up to quite a bit. The only substantial "breakthrough" is in much improved move ordering which appears to have a positive affect on LMR more than it does on raw speed.

I like the name - looking forward to test it :D

p.s. still prefer the name RaZor but Komodo is good :wink:
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
swami

Post by swami »

meschle wrote:
Don wrote:

I like the name - looking forward to test it :D

p.s. still prefer the name RaZor but Komodo is good :wink:
Great, looking forward to it.

I think there was a Komodo anti virus or firewall software, wasn't there?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Don wrote:

Thanks Don,great news and good luck with the upcoming release....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Don

Post by Don »

Highendman wrote:I'm looking forward to taking a new exciting legit engine for a spin.
In your tests, what's the ELO increase vs. Doch?
Another question: do you explicitly try 'give it a playing style' or is it more about tuning eval/search, and whatever gets the highest elo you're happy with?
We try to make the engine play as much in a human style as possible, but currently strength trumps style. When it's a close call we try to make it evaluate more like a human grandmaster would.