Scid 4.2 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

garybelton

Re: Scid 4.2 released

Post by garybelton »

Hi Pascal, I tried 4.2.2 (not 4.2) and it also unfortunately fails to grow the type sg4 file to greater than 2GB.

OS = Windows 2008 Server x64 SP2.

I wonder if a 64-bit Windows compile would fix the problem?

Best.
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

garybelton wrote:Hi Pascal, I tried 4.2.2 (not 4.2) and it also unfortunately fails to grow the type sg4 file to greater than 2GB.

OS = Windows 2008 Server x64 SP2.

I wonder if a 64-bit Windows compile would fix the problem?

Best.
The version I first released (4.2) works on Linux and was not well tested on Windows. It is was capable to use files beyond 2GB. But it has proven to be so buggy on some Windows systems so I preferred to go back to previous file I/O calls.
64-bit Windows compile may be sufficient, I don't know, but I have no way to test all versions of Windows.

To sum up do not use Scid 4.2 (that lived a few hours), use only version 4.2.2 !

Pascal Georges
djbl

Post by djbl »

hi pascal,
i have downloaded scid and i am now customizing it but i am unable to get rid of the grid lines around the squares. is this actually possible, if so how? thanks in advance.
djbl

Post by djbl »

forget my last post pascal, i have now worked it out, and of course it was very easy. but i have another question for you, what is the book format on scid please?
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

djbl wrote:forget my last post pascal, i have now worked it out, and of course it was very easy. but i have another question for you, what is the book format on scid please?
The book format is the same as Fruit and Polyglot (bin extension).

Pascal Georges
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Pascal--

Would it be a lot of work to add the following feature: draw an arrow on the board representing an engine's current best move under analysis. I note you have some code that draws an arrow showing the variations. It would be nice to visualize immediately the engine's best move, and change when the engine comes up with another best move.
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

benstoker wrote:Pascal--

Would it be a lot of work to add the following feature: draw an arrow on the board representing an engine's current best move under analysis. I note you have some code that draws an arrow showing the variations. It would be nice to visualize immediately the engine's best move, and change when the engine comes up with another best move.
I have no plan to do this (at least in short term).

Pascal Georges
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

pgeorges wrote:Scid 4.2 is released at http://scid.sourceforge.net
Its main change is the support of 64 bits file system (as asked some weeks ago) in order to use databases bigger than 2 GB (the limit of 16 M games per database still exists).
The complete changelog is :
- Features :
------------
- Training -> Find best move : make it more user friendly :
* The next moves are automaticaly hidden in PGN window and in game info window
* Added buttons above the board to show solution, go to next / previous exercise
* Leave the training mode by unchecking the menu entry
- updated swedish translation (thanks to Hans Eriksson)
- updated spanish translation (thanks to Pedro Reina)
- Scid Pocket : added Stockfish 1.6.2 ported to ARM (Windows Mobile)
- Fixes :
---------
- Scid has a limit of 16 millions games per base. Before reaching this limit, the size of the game file could exceed 2 GB, which was not possible on 32 bit systems. So now some of Scid's IO handle large files (64 bit I/O system calls even on 32 bit systems) (but the limit for the game file is still 4 GB, given that games offsets are saved as unsigned integers). So now it is possible to have bases that effectively contain up to 16 M games.
- FIDE changed the number of rating list per year. Add code to handle this properly. Maximum year for ratings added by spellchecker is _2010_. (Thanks to Joost 't Hart)
- Searching for !me (own games) was broken
- Xfcc passwords with XML entities were not handled correctly
Pascal Georges
Comment: when engine analysis is in locked mode so that the engine remains analyzing a certain position while the board is changed, the "V" buttons are disabled and that makes it impossible to ever have results of a locked-down engine analysis inserted into the game score.
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Comment: when engine analysis is in locked mode so that the engine remains analyzing a certain position while the board is changed, the "V" buttons are disabled and that makes it impossible to ever have results of a locked-down engine analysis inserted into the game score.
That's right, should be made more user friendly here. I put it on the TODO list.

Pascal Georges