could somebody please explain why reverse engineering wrong

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

djbl

could somebody please explain why reverse engineering wrong

Post by djbl »

i have been thinking about ths lately, and i am not even sure why reverse engineering an engine (in this case) is so wrong. when something comes along that is such an improvement on its predecessors it seems only natural to me that people would want to figure out how it is working, and to look to make improvements on said engine. is this not the basis of all technological advancements?
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Re: could somebody please explain why reverse engineering wr

Post by Volker Pittlik »

djbl wrote:i have been thinking about ths lately, and i am not even sure why reverse engineering an engine (in this case) is so wrong. when something comes along that is such an improvement on its predecessors it seems only natural to me that people would want to figure out how it is working, and to look to make improvements on said engine. is this not the basis of all technological advancements?
i have been thinking about this lately, and i am not even sure why stealing money (in this case) is so wrong. when someone comes along who is so much richer than other people it seems only natural to me that people would want take all his money, and to look to make more out of it. is this not the basis of all respectable entrepreneurship?

vp
John Conway

Post by John Conway »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
djbl wrote:i have been thinking about ths lately, and i am not even sure why reverse engineering an engine (in this case) is so wrong. when something comes along that is such an improvement on its predecessors it seems only natural to me that people would want to figure out how it is working, and to look to make improvements on said engine. is this not the basis of all technological advancements?
i have been thinking about this lately, and i am not even sure why stealing money (in this case) is so wrong. when someone comes along who is so much richer than other people it seems only natural to me that people would want take all his money, and to look to make more out of it. is this not the basis of all respectable entrepreneurship?

vp
And what if the reason he is so rich is because he got my money under false pretences by promising a free update/bugfix which he never delivered?
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Ways,ways,ways.........

Post by Sylwy »

Hi man !

They are mainly two ways here !
:lol:

1.reverse engineering and made publicly the source code ( enhanced or not ) ! :lol: That's a capital crime in the non extraterrestrial judicial systems ! :lol:
2.reverse engineering and use the news in a commercial engine ( source code non publicly available ) ! That's science man ! :lol: A businessman in chess will be extremely happy, some unhappy....but that's life ! :lol:
3.of course they are also the third way - to be pure like a virgin- lose a millenium for a single news ( sorry , husband...) but that's almost sure an unhappy status ! :lol:

Regards,
Silvian
PS: excuse my English , please-that's only because Playboy ( US edition ) hasn't a grammar page ! :lol:
zamar

Post by zamar »

There is nothing wrong with reverse-engineering, but distributing program which is _heavily_ based on reverse-engineered code is (at least morally) questionable or illegal.
Joona Kiiski
slobo

Post by slobo »

Volker Pittlik wrote:

vp
Money is not directly involved in this process. And sometimes it is not involved even indirectly.

What is in fact, involved in this process is one's knowledge and one's hability of interpretation (imagination). The reverse-engineer must imagine what the resulting mess of code is doing and how does it work.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
slobo

Post by slobo »

zamar wrote:There is nothing wrong with reverse-engineering, but distributing program which is _heavily_ based on reverse-engineered code is (at least morally) questionable or illegal.
"Illegal"? Are you a lawer or someone linked to laws related to this specific field?
slobo

Post by slobo »

John Conway wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:

vp
And what if the reason he is so rich is because he got my money under false pretences by promising a free update/bugfix which he never delivered?
This question is very good and is related to the ethical aspects of reverse-engineering.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

slobo wrote:
John Conway wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:

vp
This question is very good and is related to the ethical aspects of reverse-engineering.
These two are issues are completely unrelated. If you want to argue that two wrongs make a right, the place to do it is here:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

-Sam
zamar

Post by zamar »

slobo wrote:
zamar wrote:There is nothing wrong with reverse-engineering, but distributing program which is _heavily_ based on reverse-engineered code is (at least morally) questionable or illegal.
"Illegal"? Are you a lawer or someone linked to laws related to this specific field?
Please note the important word "or". Laws vary from country to country. Here in Finland every work you make is automatically implicitely copyrighted by you. It's illegal to distribute work which is copyrighted by someone else. So if there are too many similarities (in logic, spellings, code flow) between reverse-engineered source and distributed program, I'm quite sure court (at least here in Finland) would decide that copyright is broken. If not, it's only morally questionable.

Luckily I'm not the one who should judge this issue. I'm just started to be very bored of this R***** spamming of Talkchess, and certain people who have _nothing_else_to_say, but to spread their own political agenda.
Joona Kiiski