A New Name for Doch....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Thomas Mayer

Re: Achilles ...

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Don wrote:What does Doch mean in german? Is it a bad work like a swear or cuss word in english?
Hi Don,

I think it isn't a bad name for an engine, especially in german. Like Frank already pointed out it's kind of a filler word with several meanings. The english word for it could be comething like "but", "however", "yet", "nevertheless", "after all", "anyway" etc.

To me that sounds already like a comment, you know, as an opponent you might think: "What nonsense is DOCH here playing ?" And the answer is: "NEVERTHELESS you have overseen move x x" ;) or "BUT I have counterplay here and here" or "And it works ANYWAY" etc. ... of course that's my very subjective impression the name creates in my head... ;)

Greets, Thomas
Don

Re: A New Name for Doch....

Post by Don »

Let's call it "tpfkad", an acronym for "The program formerly known as Doch"

:-)
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: BTW Stockfish ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Reasons for Capablanca ...

Capablanca won 1909 a match vs. the best American player Frank Marshall with 8:1 ... 14 x Remis

Have a look in the SWCR database:
ELO-Rating list ...

Code: Select all

01. Rybka 3             2.861 games 680, remis 28%
02. Shredder 12	      2.800 games 680, remis 36%
03. Stockfish 1.6       2.789 games 680, remis 41%
04. Naum 4              2.779 games 680, remis 39%
32 Bit, 1 Core, ponder = on, 40 moves in 10 minutes, TOP 4

Now, the highest remis quote and Stockfish have the same playing style as Capablanca :-)

Best
Frank
Last edited by Frank Quisinsky on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Wasn't Plato a student of Socrates? :)
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Don

Post by Don »

Kirk wrote:Wasn't Plato a student of Socrates? :)
I think I had a program we called plato at one time. It was not released under that name but we were sticking with that theme.

I'm looking for something different now. Something friendlier and less pretentious. And I want to stay away from mythology and gods and goddesses and such.

Don
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Don wrote:
I think I had a program we called plato at one time. It was not released under that name but we were sticking with that theme.

I'm looking for something different now. Something friendlier and less pretentious. And I want to stay away from mythology and gods and goddesses and such.

Don
Macduff. Themes of king-killing (Macbeth), the Simpsons (Duff beer) and Mac is always a friendly sort of prefix to a name. And it's still got a 'd' in it.

jb
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Don wrote:

Don
Hmmm... My dog is named TAHOMA, after a gentle wolf in Wolfhaven International in Tenino, WA

It was the Native American name for "Great Mountain" or more specifically Mt Rainier

Or how about names after the movie "The Last Don" :)
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Frank Quisinsky

Re: What is with DDay Don ...

if I read "Notaclone" I am thinking on Nostradamos. Don't mean "Nostradamus" ... other one !!

Don like it to used his name ...

Don Dailey
I am thinking, play 1, 2 .... 5 at the moment ...

DDay :-)
Military operation :-)

I am sure Don lilke it ...
And I found it in Ply 11 with +9

Best
Frank
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:if I read "Notaclone" I am thinking on Nostradamos. Don't mean "Nostradamus" ... other one !!

Don like it to used his name ...

Don Dailey
I am thinking, play 1, 2 .... 5 at the moment ...

DDay :-)
Military operation :-)

I am sure Don lilke it ...
And I found it in Ply 11 with +9

Best
Frank
Good Ones! :)
Frank Quisinsky

Hi,

yes, and Don can give the version number of DDay a countdown modus.

Example:
Doch 1.33 in DDay 100
Doch 1.34 in DDay 99

:-)

Best
Frank

And with DDay version 1 the program is exactly 1.000 ELO in advantage to Rybka 3 :-)

Best
Frank

PS:
And the most of the computer chess freaks are playing with DDay 100 in times DDay 78 is available :-)
Perhaps not a good idea, but I like it.