Crafty 23.1 scaling problem on Nehalem octa

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

maschmdt

Re: Crafty 23.1 scaling problem on Nehalem octa

Post by maschmdt »

Yes, Crafty knows how to aquire local memory on Linux and Co. But there is Windows specific code in utility.c lines 2690-2886 which kicks in here. It goes deep into the thread concept of Windows.
If so, why does it say it is NUMA? That is AMD only if I am correct.
To my understanding (Windows) Numa code is activated when there are two or more physical CPUs on one board (AMD or Intel).

This code has nothing to do with Crafty's and libnuma's way to handle things under Linux imho.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hello together,

I am off home for the rest of the week(job related). I will continue then...
So far I foud a NUMA option in BIOS. I switched off, but all scaling is the same.
Right now I am 50% that something is not okay with that machine.
Another chessengine cannot run on that box(zappa).
The box is from a server company. supermicro X8DA3 motherboard with 2 cpu sockets, populated with two W5580 cpus. 12GB RAM.
Operation system is Win2003 server enterprise 64bit.

Regards, Clemens
bob

Post by bob »

maschmdt wrote:Yes, Crafty knows how to aquire local memory on Linux and Co. But there is Windows specific code in utility.c lines 2690-2886 which kicks in here. It goes deep into the thread concept of Windows.
If so, why does it say it is NUMA? That is AMD only if I am correct.
To my understanding (Windows) Numa code is activated when there are two or more physical CPUs on one board (AMD or Intel).

This code has nothing to do with Crafty's and libnuma's way to handle things under Linux imho.
It has been a while, but I have run this on a dual-socket windows box in the past and it reported the usual "system is SMP, not NUMA". There's a test for a NUMA architecture that is only supposed to respond "yes" for real local-memory type NUMA boxes where memory accesses need to be carefully optimized.
bob

Post by bob »

Hugo wrote:Hello together,

I am off home for the rest of the week(job related). I will continue then...
So far I foud a NUMA option in BIOS. I switched off, but all scaling is the same.
Right now I am 50% that something is not okay with that machine.
Another chessengine cannot run on that box(zappa).
The box is from a server company. supermicro X8DA3 motherboard with 2 cpu sockets, populated with two W5580 cpus. 12GB RAM.
Operation system is Win2003 server enterprise 64bit.

Regards, Clemens
If this is a true Nehalem box, first thing to look for is 3 banks of memory on the MB. There should be 3 sets of slots labeled A, B and C. If you don't have that, you don't have triple-channel memory. The fact that you have a NUMA on/off already suggests that there is something seriously wrong with this box since Nehalem is not NUMA.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hello again

yesterday I tried a few things without better results.
Inside are 6 RAM dimms, all in blue slots. 3 dimms per cpu.
I tried some RAM modes: Independend and channel mirror.
I also reinstalled the cpus.
I also tried NUMA on/off. System can run in NUMA mode. I cannot immagine that the supermicro board has this NUMA-feature "just for fun".

So I continue using crafty on my quad.
btw. crafty shows verry good middlegames. Only the last bite to win is missing. a big weakness seems to be the pawns in endgame.

Regards, Clemens
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

Hi Clemens,

Are you aware of new Crafty 23-01.eng at cb site?

http://www.chessbase.com/download/engin ... ty2301.zip

This one is only few bytes different than your one.

What we need is now some test positions :)

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hello Harun

sure I know that compile, because I tested it before it became public.
If you are interested in the 64 bit version:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/engin ... 01_x64.zip

But to run this crafty 23.1 x 64 bit chessbase native engine, you need the zappchess 64 bit gui. It only works in this 64bit gui.
Location for engine is > C:\Program Files\ChessBase\Engines.x64

best regards, Clemens Keck
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

Hugo wrote:Hello Harun

sure I know that compile, because I tested it before it became public.
If you are interested in the 64 bit version:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/engin ... 01_x64.zip

But to run this crafty 23.1 x 64 bit chessbase native engine, you need the zappchess 64 bit gui. It only works in this 64bit gui.
Location for engine is > C:\Program Files\ChessBase\Engines.x64

best regards, Clemens Keck
Thx. Up to 4 cpus, I suppose.

I can run other x64 UCI engines with CB DF11 GUI. But this
crafty native does not work with other chess GUIs like DF11? :(

Best,

PS: I havent ZapChess x64 GUI. If CB have plans of a new CB x64 GUI,
I'll wait for it. Thx again.
Last edited by beachknight on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi, merhaba, hallo HT
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Hi Clemens,

I think a good year ago i have also somebody who run a chess test with a system running: Win2003 server enterprise 64bit. Weeks he was busy to get better results ,nothing helps ..he changed the OS to Win2008 server enterprice 64bit..and get better results..still not high enough. After that he stopped continue to make his system running faster!
For me is it the operating system..is it not possible to try Windows 7 and see what happen..make a dual boot, then you don't loose anything from your server system!
I tought okay,this people try all different compiles,what is great..but i would try a other operating system now! (Only for chess!)

Kind regards,
Jean-Paul.
beachknight

Post by beachknight »

jpqy wrote:Hi Clemens,

I think a good year ago i have also somebody who run a chess test with a system running: Win2003 server enterprise 64bit. Weeks he was busy to get better results ,nothing helps ..he changed the OS to Win2008 server enterprice 64bit..and get better results..still not high enough. After that he stopped continue to make his system running faster!
For me is it the operating system..is it not possible to try Windows 7 and see what happen..make a dual boot, then you don't loose anything from your server system!
I tought okay,this people try all different compiles,what is great..but i would try a other operating system now! (Only for chess!)

Kind regards,
Jean-Paul.
I think that this suggestion of changing OS might solve the problem.

Best,
hi, merhaba, hallo HT