morality and legality of dowloading robbolito

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What is your opinion about using this chess engine

immoral and illegal
17%
immoral but legal
15%
illegal but moral
1%
legal and moral
46%
dependent if you bought rybka or did not buy rybka
6%
not sure or not one of the options that I suggested
14%

Total votes: 104

Uri Blass

morality and legality of dowloading robbolito

Post by Uri Blass »

What is your opinion about downloading robbolito and using it?
I mean only to the people who use it and not to the people who develop it
and at least part of the people who admit using it write with their real name.

Uri
Terry McCracken

Re: morality and legality of dowloading robbolito

Post by Terry McCracken »

Uri Blass wrote:What is your opinion about downloading robbolito and using it?
I mean only to the people who use it and not to the people who develop it
and at least part of the people who admit using it write with their real name.

Uri
It's neither immoral or illegal, however knowing what most of us know it would be considered unethical.
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

it will be interesting to see how the results pan out here

in the other poll those Members that voted.. voted that providing links to IppoRobbo was OK by a more then 2:1 majority

i am guessing that in this poll the majority will vote that it is not Moral and\or Legal to download Robbo
stated differently..
choice 4 will lose.. or if it does win.. i doubt it will win with a 2:1 majority of the vote

of course these two polls are basically mutually exclusive,although i imagine some could argue that providing links and downloading engines are not exactly the same thing ..which is a bit of a stretch

if i am correct i think perhaps it shows that folks who basically agree with a polls premise will vote in greater numbers then those that dont agree with it

Survey Sez Regards
Steve
Osipov Jury

Post by Osipov Jury »

If Robbolito stolen from the author of Rybka, its distribution is immoral and illegal. But if the author and distributor of Robbolito is V.Rajlich, this is quite another matter. The second option for me is much more probable.
Edward German

Post by Edward German »

I have voted "immoral but legal".

Reason:

Political matters, however, should find nothing in our hobby, which I personally find to be immoral! (Like "Honorary: Vladimir Ilyich Lenin")
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Since no one has offered anything to date but vague insinuations of having select access to top-secret information that can't be revealed due to the alleged sensitivity of said information and what I interpret as the elite self-importance of said messengers, I can't identify anything either immoral or illegal about downloading, using or celebrating Robbolito. If it's a clone, that should a trivial matter for the legal representation of Rybka, Inc. to demonstrate and I would have expected the site shut down by now.

Anyway, this is old hash. What do you think about the proposed pay-to-play model of Rybka 4?
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Uri,

I read all the RobboLito / Ippolit messages here.

--
Gian-Carlo wrote:
Rybka 3 does have separate search functions for white and black. No need to reverse engineer anything. You can find this trivially with a disassembler that gives stack dumps.
I don't think it's a particularly good idea but very clearly both Rybka 3 and Ippolit have this, and I know in fact of no other program that does.
--

One of the messages from an experienced programmer with information in detail ... like it to read. Wish me more of this clear statements from experienced programmers.

For the moment I cann't give my vote. I missed clear proofs from Rybka team.

Without absolutly _clear_ proofs I have no reason to see in new engines for the first time of looking clones!

BTW:
However the topic is interesting because on RobboLito is working the programmer of Cyclone. Cyclone xTreme Wrath is in my opinion clear the strongest one (with Protector 1.31b. 50 ELO stronger as v. 1.29) of the Fruit / Toga family. It seems that the programmer is the right person for the unclear Ippolit sources.

I don't think for the moment that the work of the programmer of Cyclone is illegal !!

Developement = Progress !!
But I don't like clones (thinking on the problems I have with download links to Patriot, Voyager, ELChinito in the past).

Best
Frank
Edward German

Post by Edward German »

sockmonkey wrote:Since no one has offered anything to date but vague insinuations of having select access to top-secret information that can't be revealed due to the alleged sensitivity of said information and what I interpret as the elite self-importance of said messengers, I can't identify anything either immoral or illegal about downloading, using or celebrating Robbolito. If it's a clone, that should a trivial matter for the legal representation of Rybka, Inc. to demonstrate and I would have expected the site shut down by now.

Anyway, this is old hash. What do you think about the proposed pay-to-play model of Rybka 4?
I would very much like to buy Rybka 4!

But: Rybka 4 is not there (probably not for a long time, unfortunately). Incidentally, there will be two versions of Rybka 4 and I do not like, because there will be a better version, which you then, unfortunately, can only rent. I do not like this system!

I will also not buy Rybka 4. Sorry!

BTW: RobboLito I have at the moment because of political propaganda, not on my computer!
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Osipov Jury wrote:If Robbolito stolen from the author of Rybka, its distribution is immoral and illegal. But if the author and distributor of Robbolito is V.Rajlich, this is quite another matter. The second option for me is much more probable.
It's distribution is but downloading is another matter. I think you shouldn't download it but it's not illegal to do so or immoral. However, it is unethical.

What the hackers are doing, really is a different matter altogether.

A question...What has Vas to gain to be involved with the distribution of Rybka 4 under the guise of Robbolito?

It doesn't add up.
Terry McCracken
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Steve B wrote:it will be interesting to see how the results pan out here

in the other poll those Members that voted.. voted that providing links to IppoRobbo was OK by a more then 2:1 majority

i am guessing that in this poll the majority will vote that it is not Moral and\or Legal to download Robbo
stated differently..
choice 4 will lose.. or if it does win.. i doubt it will win with a 2:1 majority of the vote

of course these two polls are basically mutually exclusive,although i imagine some could argue that providing links and downloading engines are not exactly the same thing ..which is a bit of a stretch

if i am correct i think perhaps it shows that folks who basically agree with a polls premise will vote in greater numbers then those that dont agree with it

Survey Sez Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
Good that you didn't make a bet on that....

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….