I'm in doubt if RobboLito is a clone

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Re: I'm in doubt if RobboLito is a clone

Post by mcostalba »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:Thank you.

So in italian there are the same wrong word creations as in the english text. So he is probably no native italian speaker, and i would guess he is the same person with some english and italian knowledge.
Perhaps someone that spent some time in Italy for various reasons. There are a lot of people from east Europe in Italy that work / study for a period of time....but I think that, also if he used a dictionary, he should have a grasp of written italian that is very different from spoken one that is the only language that foreign people (if not students) learn after a bit of time in Italy.

To learn written italian is completely another different story, you need to go to school and spend several years. I have some foreign friends that know how to speak more or less in italian and understand also well but are unable to write correctly because they never studied it.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

SzG wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:Thank you.

So in italian there are the same wrong word creations as in the english text. So he is probably no native italian speaker, and i would guess he is the same person with some english and italian knowledge.
Perhaps someone that spent some time in Italy for various reasons. There are a lot of people from east Europe in Italy that work / study for a period of time....but I think that, also if he used a dictionary, he should have a grasp of written italian that is very different from spoken one that is the only language that foreign people (if not students) learn after a bit of time in Italy.

To learn written italian is completely another different story, you need to go to school and spend several years. I have some foreign friends that know how to speak more or less in italian and understand also well but are unable to write correctly because they never studied it.
Now, has Vladimir Yelin ever been to Italy?
http://web.archive.org/web/200502061638 ... rshop.com/

Not sure but it says in there.

Long business trip.....

I'm sure there would be something in the forum archives. Would you like us to check?

Christopher
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Volker Pittlik wrote:On the Ippolito website is the source code of another program called RobboLito. Although this Ippolito seems to be of a questionable origin and also crashes a lot I took a look at this RobboLito program.

- It seems to be a "normal" organized program in several c- and header files. I can't find any similarities to an open-source programs I know. The program seems to be written by an Italian, but my knowledge of that language is not good enough that I can decide if the source code is written by a human or generated somehow. Also there aren't any comments, but in total is much better readable and understandable than the Ippolito sources.

- If RobboLitto is a successor of Ippolito then some progress has been made in the regard of stability. There wasn't a single crash in some hundreds games here.

- It comes with a program to generate its own kind of endgame tablebases. At least this part seems to be an original work.

vp

P.S. It seems to be a real monster. In a test at blitz time controls (2+2) it got this results here:

Code: Select all

1 RobboLito verzione 0.085   443 108.0 ( 94.0 :  14.0)
                                     12.0 (  9.0 :   3.0) Stockfish 1.5.1            278
                                     24.0 ( 20.0 :   4.0) Toga II 1.2.1a             228
                                     12.0 (  9.5 :   2.5) Rybka 2.2n2 32-bit         204
                                     12.0 ( 10.0 :   2.0) Shredder Classic 4         189
                                     12.0 ( 11.5 :   0.5) Fruit 05/11/03             128
                                     12.0 ( 11.0 :   1.0) Crafty-23.0                 84
                                     12.0 ( 11.0 :   1.0) Scorpio_2.2 ACCA            -5
                                     12.0 ( 12.0 :   0.0) Shredder 6                 -31
I neither claim it's an original work nor I'd like to defend any cloner. But it seems to be a good idea to take a second look at the new sources too.

vp
Thanks Volker for your statement,extremely interesting :D
One question though:
Can it be compiled for the Windows operation system :?:
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
zamar wrote:Vas is angry because someone decompiled Rybka3 and took all his brilliant ideas.
It was OK for Vas to take other ideas when he was the one who "took" them.
Yep,it was ok for him but now he's not :roll:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Michel

Post by Michel »

Can it be compiled for the Windows operation system
I had a quick try and it seems the source uses select which is not available on windows
(it is available in Cygwin but I assume you don't want that).

Thus we learn that the author probably uses Linux (or perhaps some other Unix derivative) as his primary operating system.
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:...
One question though:
It shouldn't be to difficult for someone who does such ports sometimes. I'm not the one who can do it cause I'm simply missing a compiler for Windows.

However, Marco's comments about the mistakes in the Italian are interesting. What makes me wonder is that there aren't any comments in the source code. The speed how fast one forgets what he has programmed himself without comments is amazing. OTOH there are these tablebases.

vp
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
zamar wrote:Vas is angry because someone decompiled Rybka3 and took all his brilliant ideas.
Take and steal are not synonyms :-)

Miguel
slobo

Post by slobo »

michiguel wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Take and steal are not synonyms :-)

Miguel
When Fruit´s and Crafty´s ideas had been turned public (open source), the idea of both author had been exchange ideas and have return in any form.

Vas picked them up without any return.

Do you think Fabien and Bob would help a guy who´s been picking their ideas, and planing to get commercial without giving nothing in return?
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
One question though:
It shouldn't be to difficult for someone who does such ports sometimes. I'm not the one who can do it cause I'm simply missing a compiler for Windows.

However, Marco's comments about the mistakes in the Italian are interesting. What makes me wonder is that there aren't any comments in the source code. The speed how fast one forgets what he has programmed himself without comments is amazing. OTOH there are these tablebases.

vp
As a programmer I can say that is _impossible_ to work an a source like the one posted.

What I think is that there is one properly edited and commented source that this guy uses to develop and then when he has to post to public takes this 'good' source, strips comments, unify in one single big file, shuffles the formatting and gives it to the C preprocessor the result of this obfuscation process is what we see published on the site.

I could easily to the same with Stockfish and I would bet anyone of you to reconize the original from the obfuscated one although the functionality remains 100% the same up to the last bit.

I think he is doing like this to give the reader a bit of fun trying to understand what's in it. :)
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

mcostalba wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:
One question though:

vp
As a programmer I can say that is _impossible_ to work an a source like the one posted.

What I think is that there is one properly edited and commented source that this guy uses to develop and then when he has to post to public takes this 'good' source, strips comments, unify in one single big file, shuffles the formatting and gives it to the C preprocessor the result of this obfuscation process is what we see published on the site.

I could easily to the same with Stockfish and I would bet anyone of you to reconize the original from the obfuscated one although the functionality remains 100% the same up to the last bit.

I think he is doing like this to give the reader a bit of fun trying to understand what's in it. :)
I find neither version hard at all to understand. I aso do not think they were decompiled since variable names make sense and are easy to understand. I donlt even need to look at an Italian dictionary since you can tell from what calls what the purpose of things. My guess is the authors merely looked at the assembly code from other programs and combined the best ideas of each in a new program. Is stealing ideas illegal or wrong? Well, I personally think stealing an idea without credit is wrong. But is it a copyright or patent violation? I assume Vas has not patented the ideas in Rybka, so probably not that. In any case, the computer chess market is so small that any profits a programmer makes writing this code would be totally gobbled up by lawyers if they even tried to sue.

If these programs are stronger than Rybka, I am sure with an hour of source code viewing, Vas could understand any beneficial changes. With all his work on Rybka 4, I have no doubts that he will be well ahead of these programs very soon (and probably already is).

Mark